Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

newmanium

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
being stumped using project builder for my c++ programming. i need to read strings, and the most i can get from the iostream library are the commands "cin.get('variable')" and "cin.getline('variable', '# of char', 'when to stop')" but cant get the commands to work. not on the project builder nor the terminal. any sugggestions? :(

PCUser

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2002
By "string", do you mean a C string (char*), or a C++ string (string)? The iostream library's cin.get() and cin.getline() functions use C strings.

What do you mean by "cant get the commands to work"? Here's a small sample code that reads in a line (with up to 1000 characters) and displays it. It compiles in Linux (using GCC 3.0.4) and Windows (using GCC 3.0.3). I don't have a mac, so I don't know 100%, but this is using the standard C++ libraries...

//begin code
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;
int main()
{
char bob[1000];

cin.getline(bob, 1000);
cout << bob;

return 0;
}
//end code

Help at all?

newmanium

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
i declare my variable as:

char choice[25];

and the code goes like:

cout<< "please enter your selection: ";
cin.getline(choice, 25, '\n')

/*the '\n' signifies it to stop reading when the user presses <enter> */

it compiles fine under project builder and the terminal but when i run the code, the prompt doesn't wait for any input and exits the program. i know this code works under MS visual studio but cant seem to make it work here.

newmanium

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 18, 2002
sweetness..

just tried redeclaring the variable, set that badboy to 1000 and it worked. thanks for your help

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.