PDA

View Full Version : Interesting ram info to EU MacPro customers

WoOdPiPeS
Feb 21, 2008, 04:48 AM
Hi all,
2h ago I've received my 8Gb ram upgrade for my MacPro 2008. I bought it at MusicStore in Germany, and its the same brand than the ones wich came with my MacPro: Hynix. This means, that MusicStore has now in stock Hynix memory. The price is very good (the same than order from OWC plus the customs tax), ...
I've done the Apple "longer" test (more than 1h) and no errors.
Quite happy with this buy.

WP

Ps. Remember if you are a professional, you can get off VAT for shopping into the EU. I payed 332 for 8Gb ;-)

edesignuk
Feb 21, 2008, 04:54 AM
Nice find.

43 per 1GB stick (http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=TOZgSIbWhSR.WbURca0000000000eEwNDMHX?CatalogVideo=&ProductUUID=7hjVqHzlQS4AAAEXuvk_GmLm&CatalogCategoryID=cETVqHzl7GoAAAEVQB1Wf70R&JumpTo=OfferList), or 72 per 2GB stick (http://www.musicstore.de/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=TOZgSIbWhSR.WbURca0000000000eEwNDMHX?CatalogVideo=&ProductUUID=ylPVqHzlaU4AAAEXsZ8tYs9u&CatalogCategoryID=cETVqHzl7GoAAAEVQB1Wf70R&JumpTo=OfferList).

Infrared
Feb 21, 2008, 06:11 AM
Hi all,
2h ago I've received my 8Gb ram upgrade for my MacPro 2008. I bought it at MusicStore in Germany, and its the same brand than the ones wich came with my MacPro: Hynix. This means, that MusicStore has now in stock Hynix memory.

That sounds promising.

What are the heat spreaders like? The type and quality of heat
spreader used is arguably more important than the brand of
memory modules on the boards.

Some pictures of your memory would be nice .. hint hint ^^

edesignuk
Feb 21, 2008, 06:17 AM
That sounds promising.

Some pictures of your memory would be nice .. hint hint ^^I linked directly to the RAM the OP is talking about :rolleyes:

WoOdPiPeS
Feb 21, 2008, 07:13 AM
That sounds promising.

Some pictures of your memory would be nice .. hint hint ^^

Here are the pictures of the ORIGINAL ram (sorry, I just installed the new, ... too lazie for taking out the boards now...). So, the Hynix I've bought in MusicStore, is EXACTLY like this one, but 2Gb each instead 1Gb. The model is exactly the same.

WP

urknall
Feb 21, 2008, 07:21 AM
hey everybody,

just wanted to let you know that i ordered my 8 gb ram upgrade via cyberport germany about 2 weeks ago and i also received the same brand hynix memory that comes with the mac pro. this might be interesting for readers in germany or europe. not as cheap as musicstore, but...

Gonk42
Feb 23, 2008, 04:28 AM
Hi all,
2h ago I've received my 8Gb ram upgrade for my MacPro 2008. I bought it at MusicStore in Germany, and its the same brand than the ones wich came with my MacPro: Hynix. This means, that MusicStore has now in stock Hynix memory. The price is very good (the same than order from OWC plus the customs tax), ...
I've done the Apple "longer" test (more than 1h) and no errors.
Quite happy with this buy.

It is good to have a source of reasonably priced RAM in the EU given Crucial UK's outrageous prices. Thank you for the link.

Have you looked at the operating temperature of your new RAM?

Some samples of third party RAM seem to run very hot according to a few posts on these forums.

WoOdPiPeS
Feb 23, 2008, 04:54 AM
It is good to have a source of reasonably priced RAM in the EU given Crucial UK's outrageous prices. Thank you for the link.

Have you looked at the operating temperature of your new RAM?

Some samples of third party RAM seem to run very hot according to a few posts on these forums.

I've installed a widget called iStat Pro, and this is how it shows:
Modules at riser A around 50C and riser B around 55C. I'm not working hard at the moment,...
But, I repeat, I didn't find ANY difference between ORIGINAL and this one. I'm very lucky for this find ;-)

WP

bilbo--baggins
Feb 23, 2008, 08:07 AM
I contacted this company, because their Country Selector page quoted €10 shipping, or free on orders over €200, but when I put it in my shopping basket the shipping charge was €15 (when it should have been free).

I didn't go ahead with the order, more because they didn't reply than the price. If companies cannot be bothered to reply to queries from potential customers, what hope is there of them helping if something goes wrong...

/\/\
Feb 23, 2008, 08:49 AM
Attention!!! I wouldn't buy at Cyberport!!

First: "google" for some test-reports from customers.

This is a german customer report. (http://www.dooyoo.de/online-shops/cyberport-de/Testberichte/) or translated via google (http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.dooyoo.de%2Fonline-shops%2Fcyberport-de%2FTestberichte%2F&langpair=de%7Cen&hl=de&ie=UTF-8)

And 3 of 5 stars (from 132 customer) is not so good.

I think OWC (macsales.com) is also a good choice.

WoOdPiPeS
Feb 23, 2008, 10:07 AM
I contacted this company, because their Country Selector page quoted 10 shipping, or free on orders over 200, but when I put it in my shopping basket the shipping charge was 15 (when it should have been free).

I didn't go ahead with the order, more because they didn't reply than the price. If companies cannot be bothered to reply to queries from potential customers, what hope is there of them helping if something goes wrong...

Aupa!
I have to say that I never had problems buying them... I'm buying from Spain in MusicStore in the last 3 years. I've ordered by phone and by internet, and I've ordered software and hardware safely and correctly.
And I don't know any person who had problems buying there. In my opinion they're very serius, specially by phone. Have you tried to call them?

Agur

WP

GotPro
Feb 23, 2008, 12:56 PM
Hynix memory stock?

Is it different in EU Mac Pros than US?

Here, Stateside, my Mac Pro came with Micron Ram as stock!

Just wondering!

bilbo--baggins
Feb 23, 2008, 01:37 PM
Hynix memory stock?

Is it different in EU Mac Pros than US?

Here, Stateside, my Mac Pro came with Micron Ram as stock!

Just wondering!

Mine came with Micron, but I bought some on ebay taken from a new Mac Pro and it was Hynix. They're using both.

bilbo--baggins
Feb 27, 2008, 02:20 PM
Aupa!
I have to say that I never had problems buying them... I'm buying from Spain in MusicStore in the last 3 years. I've ordered by phone and by internet, and I've ordered software and hardware safely and correctly.
And I don't know any person who had problems buying there. In my opinion they're very serius, specially by phone. Have you tried to call them?

Agur

WP

That's good to know. They replied today to the email I sent at the time of my original post. Not sure why they took so long - but reassuring to know that they do respond, and that other people have had success phoning them.

One question to the OP: do the modules have the Hynix label on them, the same as the Apple supplied RAM, or is it just the chips that say Hynix? (ie. as far as I'm aware different manufacturers can make up modules that use their choice of chips).

WoOdPiPeS
Feb 27, 2008, 05:07 PM
That's good to know. They replied today to the email I sent at the time of my original post. Not sure why they took so long - but reassuring to know that they do respond, and that other people have had success phoning them.

One question to the OP: do the modules have the Hynix label on them, the same as the Apple supplied RAM, or is it just the chips that say Hynix? (ie. as far as I'm aware different manufacturers can make up modules that use their choice of chips).

Exactly the Hynix label. Exterior is exactly, but I didn't remove the spreads for seeing what brand, sorry. But in aparience, no differences.

WP

bilbo--baggins
Feb 28, 2008, 08:19 AM
Exactly the Hynix label. Exterior is exactly, but I didn't remove the spreads for seeing what brand, sorry. But in aparience, no differences.

WP

Thanks. I've ordered some last night. Sorry - I realised after I asked about the label and the chips that it must be the label because the heat sink hides the chips.

GregPacker
Feb 28, 2008, 01:57 PM
They replied today to the email I sent at the time of my original post.

So what did they say about the mystery 15 shipping charge?

bilbo--baggins
Feb 28, 2008, 02:16 PM
So what did they say about the mystery 15 shipping charge?

They said there were flaws in their online system, and to email them with details of the order to get it sorted.

bilbo--baggins
Feb 29, 2008, 05:13 AM
It actually turns out that their system is so flawed that despite their web site showing the RAM to be in stock, they are actually out of stock and don't know when they will get more. I've cancelled my order, and will now have to think again. Probably OWC unless Crucial drop their prices dramatically and very soon.

TFT
Feb 29, 2008, 08:47 AM
I am opting for the waiting ... I guess in a few weeks they will be readily available a bit everywhere.
So I am waiting for http://interngeheugen.com/ to notify me when the 2x2Gb kits from Transcend are available. Used them in the past with no problems.

/\/\
Feb 29, 2008, 10:50 AM
Does anybody have some reliable online stores for German customers? And especially ordering without needing credit card.

Beardy man
Feb 29, 2008, 12:01 PM
It actually turns out that their system is so flawed that despite their web site showing the RAM to be in stock, they are actually out of stock and don't know when they will get more. I've cancelled my order, and will now have to think again. Probably OWC unless Crucial drop their prices dramatically and very soon.

Can't see Crucial dropping their prices that much - OWC is currently half of what Crucial want (allowing for Import and shipping), My MacPro is here now so I'm about ready to get my RAM from OWC...

... and I've been a Crucial customer (private and business) for about 8 - 10 years. This is the first time I've seen them get it so wrong.

GregPacker
Feb 29, 2008, 12:35 PM

Damn it, I ordered yesterday. What a crap company.

mattmac
Feb 29, 2008, 03:21 PM
A bit of advice regarding OWC.

I ordered 8GB from them a few days after the new MP was announced and received the delivery in the UK within two weeks. Ram works perfectly, very pleased.

Two weeks later I got an invoice from FEDEX for the tax and duty which was expected. Unfortunately OWC didn't declare the $27.95 for shipping so FEDEX had no choice but to put in its place a standard charge of 40.00 ($80.00). This meant that I got taxed on $80.00 not $27.99 which resulted in a higher tax bill.

FEDEX will reassess the tax bill if I give them a copy of my full invoice from OWC but will charge me 30.00 for doing so. OWC are not playing ball at the moment and are saying I that have to take it up with my local tax office. I know its not a lot of money, its just frustrating when a company does not follow proper protocol when exporting goods.

My advice for what its worth. Yes I would use OWC again as they supply a very good product at a very good price, but make sure they declare all costs to customs, otherwise you will end paying extra tax and duty for no good reason.

bilbo--baggins
Feb 29, 2008, 05:23 PM
Can't see Crucial dropping their prices that much - OWC is currently half of what Crucial want (allowing for Import and shipping), My MacPro is here now so I'm about ready to get my RAM from OWC...

... and I've been a Crucial customer (private and business) for about 8 - 10 years. This is the first time I've seen them get it so wrong.

My thoughts exactly. The more I go around in circles the more I realise that I should just stop wasting my time and order from OWC.

I too have found Crucial to be cheap, reliable and fast for all of the RAM I've bought in at least the last 7 years, this is the first time they've forced me to look elsewhere.

Damn it, I ordered yesterday. What a crap company.

I don't understand why a company acknowledges serious problems with their web site and doesn't fix them or take it off-line. It surely must give them a bad reputation. If it were my company I would give it high priority.