Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fuzzynavo

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2004
CA
There is also an "Academic" version available at some university campuses. I got mine for $69. It's the full version, it shows "Academic" at the splash screen and has a sticker on the box indicating that it is not eligible for upgrades.

Binford

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
Boston, MA
There is also an "Academic" version available at some university campuses. I got mine for $69. It's the full version, it shows "Academic" at the splash screen and has a sticker on the box indicating that it is not eligible for upgrades.

thank you, this was what i was referring to. other than the non-upgradability, is it fully functional as a "regular" aperture 2?

theblueone

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2007
Same as the other Aperture, but only intended for education users.

Just to be clear, are we talking about Aperture 2? I ask because my school has and has had the inexpensive, non-upgradeable Aperture 1.x, but no v2 yet.

However, they've been known to hold back the newer versions of software and hardware in the past until they've exhausted the older versions.

Binford

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
Boston, MA
Just to be clear, are we talking about Aperture 2? I ask because my school has and has had the inexpensive, non-upgradeable Aperture 1.x, but no v2 yet.

However, they've been known to hold back the newer versions of software and hardware in the past until they've exhausted the older versions.

Yeah, many schools are now selling ap2 for $69. i know my school is (checked campus stoer site), though i graduated last may...

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
Wow, the Univ. of Washington has it listed for $149 - and normally we're in on all the special software deals.

Oh well, I'd already decided to hold off until Lightroom 2 comes out and then decide which way to go... the significant time lag Aperture ran behind pretty much every other software program, when it comes to new camera support, has left me a bit leery regarding Apple's commitment to the product long-term.

OreoCookie

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2001
Sendai, Japan
The edu discount was a disappointing 20 € (€179 instead of €199). But I cannot buy future upgrades for Aperture, so I'd rather invest 20 € now to save 100 later.

fuzzynavo

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2004
CA
The edu discount was a disappointing 20 € (€179 instead of €199). But I cannot buy future upgrades for Aperture, so I'd rather invest 20 € now to save 100 later.

I'm rather confused about their pricing scheme, so someone please verify...

I read somewhere that the $179 edu price is actually the retail version of the program, just discounted $20 for educational users. This would mean that it actually is upgradable in the future. Does anyone know if this is the case?

I know the $69 version that I got is for sure the academic/non-upgradable version.

jerryrock

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
Amsterdam, NY
I'm rather confused about their pricing scheme, so someone please verify...

I read somewhere that the $179 edu price is actually the retail version of the program, just discounted $20 for educational users. This would mean that it actually is upgradable in the future. Does anyone know if this is the case?

I know the $69 version that I got is for sure the academic/non-upgradable version.

No, the $179. Academic version is as stated. The Aperture splash screen reads "Aperture Academic".

I find it hard to believe it will sell for $69. Apple is pretty strict with product pricing.

Binford

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2007
Boston, MA
No, the $179. Academic version is as stated. The Aperture splash screen reads "Aperture Academic".

I find it hard to believe it will sell for $69. Apple is pretty strict with product pricing.

its a fact though, not a myth. they sell their products (particularly software) for MUCH cheaper at various universities, though not all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.