Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Well, after 7 years of faithful service, my old Mac is being replaced by a brand new G5 1.8Gz.

For that past couple of years, I've been slowly migrating my peripherals...the printer, scanner, Zip, etc, are on USB.

With the arrival of the G5, its finally time to transfer the big kahuna...a SCSI based Nikon 35mm scanner.

Yeah, I know I just need to replace it outright. But are there any vaible "cheap" options that will hold me off until Christmas?

These _seem_ to be the options:

1) PCI-X SCSI card: none yet (& they probably won't be cheap).

2) USB/SCSI cable: $50; but "No OSX support" warning

3) Firewire/SCSI box: $90; no OSX support info mentioned.

I know that software/drivers/support is the next issue.

But before I even get that far, are any of these "half-measure" hardware solutions viable on a G5 to to even consider?

Thanks,

-hh

-hh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Already thought of that.

Unfortunately, the 2906 is not G5-compatible, at least per Adaptec's website's latest info:

The Adaptec SCSI Card 2906 (ASC-2906, AVA-2906) and Adaptec PowerDomain 2930 (APD-2930, APD-2930C, APD-2930CU, AHA-2930CU) are 5 V PCI cards and will not fit into the PCI or PCI-X slots in the new Apple Power Mac G5 according to page 75 of Apple's Preliminary Power Mac G5 Developer documentation. Due to this hardware incompatibility the 2906 and 2930 will not function in these system...

...The Adaptec PowerDomain 29160N (APD-29160N), PowerDomain 29160 (APD-29160) and PowerDomain 39160 (APD-39160) are Universally keyed and will fit into either 5 V or 3.3 V PCI slots, so these cards will fit into PCI or PCI-X slot but have not been tested in the Power Mac G5. Please check back ...

-hh

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
Seems Apple has been having problems with SCSI migration issues since the B&W G3 days with H/W and OS updates rendering cards and drivers non functional/obsolete with regularity.

Haven't passed by any threads with mention of SCSI cards for the G5, but one of the last places for scanner driver hope is...

http://www.hamrick.com/index.html

and the VueScan product.

---

Though the last method is keeping the old machine around until you replace the scanner, and using it as a scan station -- then grabbing the file out of the shared folder on the network.

-hh

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 17, 2001
NJ Highlands, Earth
Originally posted by Sun Baked
Haven't passed by any threads with mention of SCSI cards for the G5, but one of the last places for scanner driver hope is...

http://www.hamrick.com/index.html

and the VueScan product.

Yup... I did that to get OS 8.6 and 9.x support on the LS-1000.

Though the last method is keeping the old machine around until you replace the scanner, and using it as a scan station -- then grabbing the file out of the shared folder on the network.

True, but the wife has veto'ed that option. Maybe she'll consider relenting when she sees the LS-4000 & bulk slide scanner (=$1500) on my Christmas 'Wish List' :)

-hh

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.