PDA

View Full Version : Leopard 10.5.2 Gets Even Better

MacBytes
Feb 21, 2008, 05:16 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Reviews
Link: Leopard 10.5.2 Gets Even Better (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080221181609)
Description:: Arguably the best consumer operating system available—and now updated to remove almost all the first-release glitches that afflicted early adopters.

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

SiliconAddict
Feb 21, 2008, 05:39 PM
So 10.5.2 is Vista's SP1....got it. :p

Mr. Zorg
Feb 21, 2008, 06:09 PM
So 10.5.2 is Vista's SP1....got it. :p
Sure came out a lot faster tho...

SiliconAddict
Feb 21, 2008, 06:16 PM
Sure came out a lot faster tho...

Really? I've had SP1 installed since December.....Hmm

ajx22
Feb 21, 2008, 06:23 PM

What was the amount of time from Vista Launch until SP1 (which addressed few true issues)? ...>1-year

Compare that with the amount of time that passed from Leopard's launch date until 10.5.2's release. <6-months

rychencop
Feb 21, 2008, 06:26 PM

too bad it has not been released to all consumers. good try though.

Nermal
Feb 21, 2008, 06:36 PM

Not the RTM version though.

zippo
Feb 21, 2008, 06:51 PM
duhh... look the verbiage in the original review: "Propeller-heads with IT know-how will no doubt hold up Linux as the better choice, and Vista has its devotees as well (and will probably have more when SP1 is widely available), but, for the AVERAGE user, Leopard is the most polished and easiest to use OS I've tested"...

Average user? This is extremely scalable and powerful OS, what do they mean by user? :confused: :eek:

trainguy77
Feb 21, 2008, 07:47 PM
My desktop still locks up. I was hoping that would be fixed. I can still use finder just not the desktop itself. It only happens once in awhile though.

solvs
Feb 21, 2008, 09:41 PM

And anyone who's an Apple developer has had 10.5.2 for almost as long. ;)

kabunaru
Feb 21, 2008, 09:43 PM
Mac OS 10.5.2 = What Leopard meant to be

dukeblue91
Feb 22, 2008, 07:47 AM

I don't think you can count an alpha as an update.
As of today the consumer version for x32 systems has not been released.

Tosser
Feb 22, 2008, 10:54 AM

Bummer, and here I thought they'd fix the bugs.

On the other hand that means we will go directly to 10.6.0 with all newly introduced bugs.

ingenious
Feb 22, 2008, 12:41 PM
Even better, third-party software from Parallels or VMware make it possible to run a Windows program in a window on the OS X desktop. It's even possible to set up OS X so that Word documents automatically open in the Windows version of Microsoft Word. At first I planned to wait until early 2008 before buying a new Mac, because I wanted to hold off until Microsoft issued its new Intel-native version of Office for the Mac, Microsoft Office 2008.

Well, Office 2008 is certainly faster than the old 2004 version when run on an Intel-based Mac, but it's a disappointingly clunky upgrade that won't tempt me away from the Windows-based version, Office 2007. It's possible to run the Windows-based Office 2007 in a window on the Mac desktop using Parallels or VMware, but it's still an awkward solution. With the Leopard fixes in 10.5.2, I'm going to buy a new Mac, but because I live by word-processing, I'm not about to give up my Windows machine. If you don't write anything more complex than memos or letters, and if you don't need the automated spreadsheet features in Excel for Windows, you could probably switch to a Mac full-time without looking back.

This section irked me. Actually, I felt the article was very fair other than this paragraph. Why couldn't he just run Office 2007 in VMWare or Parallels if he wanted to? In Coherence mode in Parallels and VMWare's similar function, it would be just like an OS X application... what gives?

Eric5h5
Feb 22, 2008, 01:58 PM
Why couldn't he just run Office 2007 in VMWare or Parallels if he wanted to?

"It's possible to run the Windows-based Office 2007 in a window on the Mac desktop using Parallels or VMware, but it's still an awkward solution." As the part you quoted says. And it's true...those are stopgap (and expensive) solutions and no substitute for native apps.

In Coherence mode in Parallels and VMWare's similar function, it would be just like an OS X application... what gives?

In no conceivable way does coherence mode make a Windows app "just like" an OS X app. All it does is remove Windows desktop.

--Eric

ingenious
Feb 22, 2008, 06:53 PM
"It's possible to run the Windows-based Office 2007 in a window on the Mac desktop using Parallels or VMware, but it's still an awkward solution." As the part you quoted says. And it's true...those are stopgap (and expensive) solutions and no substitute for native apps.

In no conceivable way does coherence mode make a Windows app "just like" an OS X app. All it does is remove Windows desktop.

--Eric

Hmm. I fail to see the awkwardness, I guess. You have a Windows install set-up with Office 2007 and run it in Parallels mode (true, it's does not have the UI of a Mac app, but I meant it runs just like any other application; you don't have the start bar or Windows desktop. The app shows up on the Dock , in Exposé, and in cmd+tab.). Set all whatever docs to open in it... not too hard to me.

puckhead193
Feb 22, 2008, 07:35 PM
so i assume its safe to upgrade....

impierced
Feb 22, 2008, 09:34 PM

And yet Microsoft pulls Vista SP1 update (http://www.news.com/Microsoft-pulls-Vista-SP1-update/2100-1016_3-6231299.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc) on February 20th...

Course... for fun you might enjoy Did Amazon Induce Vista's Premature Birth? (http://slashdot.org/articles/08/02/21/1853257.shtml).

Eric5h5
Feb 23, 2008, 12:11 AM
Hmm. I fail to see the awkwardness, I guess.

It's like running Classic on PPC Macs. It has coherence mode (actually, that's the only mode), the apps show up in the dock and Cmd-Tab, runs automatically when whatever docs are set to open it, etc. And it's still awkward. Difficult? No, but that wasn't the original claim. Awkward, yes.

--Eric

clevin
Feb 23, 2008, 08:07 AM
What was the amount of time from Vista Launch until SP1 (which addressed few true issues)? ...>1-year

Compare that with the amount of time that passed from Leopard's launch date until 10.5.2's release. <6-months

you forgot the incremental updates from ms, while leopard has none

then

1. apple released a beta OS 6 months earlier, had no care for customers

2. leopard is worse than Tiger, if 10.5.2 is what it really is.

trainguy77
Feb 23, 2008, 12:34 PM

Then what was 10.5.1?

Tosser
Feb 23, 2008, 12:36 PM
Then what was 10.5.1?

And 10.5.2 …

TheQuestion
Feb 24, 2008, 02:03 PM

Actually, I bet Leopard won't be what is what meant to be until around 10.5.6 when we have working airdisks, airdisk time machine support, no more choppy graphics, no disappearing calendars, and a lot more bugs done away with.

fluidedge
Feb 24, 2008, 02:28 PM
10.5.2 gets rid of all bugs huh?

those of us who connect to the internet through airport will beg to differ.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=392852

and NUMEROUS other threads in the OS X forum, head over there and see what 10.5.2 didn't fix, or worse still breaks!

Leopard is still VERY buggy and if i didn't have CS3, Final Cut and maya installed (taking me 2 days to install) i would be going back to tiger ASAP

BrianKonarsMac
Feb 24, 2008, 05:25 PM
10.5.2 gets rid of all bugs huh?

those of us who connect to the internet through airport will beg to differ.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=392852

i must just be extraordinarily lucky to not have any issues then? yes, that must be it.

Tosser
Feb 24, 2008, 05:29 PM
i must just be extraordinarily lucky to not have any issues then? yes, that must be it.

So, you're saying that because a lot of people – you being one of them – aren't hit by the bugs, then it's bug free? Yes, that must be it :rolleyes:

solvs
Feb 24, 2008, 11:49 PM
Uh, you mean like security updates? Because Apple has had those. Not as many for some reason, wonder why that is. Along with QT and other software updates that improve the system. Apple has updates, MS has updates, neither of them fix every single thing, sometimes even making more issues. What are you trying to get at?

1. apple released a beta OS 6 months earlier, had no care for customers
Apple released what they had, which worked for most things but had some bugs and some things that didn't work. Just as with Vista. These updates are supposed to fix that. Some do. Some don't. I've been fine with Leopard since before it even came out (I'm a developer), others haven't been as lucky. This was supposed to fix those things. For some people it did, for some people it didn't. Again, just like with Vista.

2. leopard is worse than Tiger, if 10.5.2 is what it really is.
Tiger had issues when it first came out too. Right up to and including 10.4.11. Leopard is working better for me than Tiger did. I know others aren't as lucky. As of 10.5.11 I'm sure it'll be just as stable, even though, again, for me and a lot of other people it already is.

Smoogz
Feb 25, 2008, 05:56 AM
If you must compare leopard to tiger then compare the same stages.. such as 10.5.2 to 10.4.2