Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Ah, the Lenovo PR machine get to you! I seem to remember it being the other way around on the dimensions..

The X300 is thicker (and heavier).

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
The ThinkPad X300 is one Jobs thick--or, if you'd prefer, 0.73 inch, slightly thinner than the thickest part of a MacBook Air.

I'm just reporting on the article. BUT, in reading it, I did realize another limitation of the X300... it's only 1.2 GHz. I had read some earlier reports it would have 2.0 GHz, but apparently they were wrong (unless that's BTO). On the plus side (in my opinion) something else I didn't notice, is that the display features 1440x900 resolution. Also, as far as being "heavier," the starting weight without the dvd drive is 2.9 lbs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm saving for an MBA... this is just tempting technology-wise. Now, which PR machine is getting to who?

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
I'm just reporting on the article. BUT, in reading it, I did realize another limitation of the X300... it's only 1.2 GHz. I had read some earlier reports it would have 2.0 GHz, but apparently they were wrong (unless that's BTO). On the plus side (in my opinion) something else I didn't notice, is that the display features 1440x900 resolution. Also, as far as being "heavier," the starting weight without the dvd drive is 2.9 lbs.

Don't get me wrong, I'm saving for an MBA... this is just tempting technology-wise. Now, which PR machine is getting to who?

It's heavy for being made out of plastic. MBA is amazingly light for being made out of aluminum.

I don't know what would be whatsoever attractive about this Lenovo. I guarantee it will not take off and no one outside of the community will even know it exists.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Seen how tight that thing is in that envelope? Lol...It's got nothing on the MBA haha

They shouldn't have used the MBA marketing technique. It makes it look as if its one big joke. Seriously looks like a parody version of the MBA ad.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Hey, hey... I already said I'm saving up for a MBA (and MBP, yikes!). But, there's nothing wrong with competition. Psst.. it's actually a good thing.

But, if you really want to get riled up, read this article:

http://crave.cnet.com/8301-1_105-9875960-1.html

Pissed the hell out of me!

LOL not directed at you. Just general discussion about the dumb product. The whole manila envelope thing is offensive.

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
I don't know what would be whatsoever attractive about this Lenovo.

3 USB ports, an ethernet Port, a better screen, an actual optical drive and a removable battery come to mind.

And about the Processor, i doubt you would really notice the difference in use anyway.

Edit: i also just found out it has GPS, and WWAN abilities heh.

Adokimus

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2007
Boston, MA
3 USB ports, an ethernet Port, a better screen, an actual optical drive and a removable battery come to mind.

And about the Processor, i doubt you would really notice the difference in use anyway.

As a future "road warrior" in a PC world, the lenovo will beat out the Air for my work needs. But, when that's the case, my company will be paying for it. I'll be using the Air for personal use (and I'm a big enough guy, I could carry both if I want... oh no, 6 lbs!).

Seems like a nice machine. Isn't it much more expensive though?

The starting price is higher than the MBA starting price, at $2,476. But, that price includes the 64GB SSD. The price goes up to $2,936 with more features. CNET has some specs (though their reviews vary in quality):

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/lenovo-thinkpad-x300/4505-3121_7-32864938.html

-Ado

ddd269

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Torrance, CA
It's great that more "usable" portable computers are coming out. MBA was the first balanced portable computer, Windows or Mac, in my opinion.

Obviously this was not a copy cat attempt by Lenovo, as it would have taken longer than 2 months to put a computer out in the market. Regardless, competition is good for us and for the industry as whole. Expect better and lighter machines in the future. Not smaller, I don't think, because there is a limit on how small it is without sacrificing usability. UMPC are not as popular because of this. I had the Sony UX series and it was awful to use and to see the screen.

I would buy the x300 if it was better than the MBA, but it really isn't... Not for my use. Maybe for corporate use. I prefer OS X, but if the hardware is good enough, I wouldn't mind getting a Windows platform in the future.

I just have to keep making more money so I can keep up with the new stuff!:D

DesmoPilot

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2008
With the exception of the OS X vs Windows thing and the negligible processor difference, i don't see why anyone would pick up an MBA over the Lenovo. Ultimately it comes to OS X vs Windows.

Sauron's Master

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2002
Saratoga, CA / New York, NY

You won't notice the difference between a 1.2 GHz and a 1.8 GHz processor?

And seriously, my laptop doesn't need GPS. It needs to not look like a piece of ****.

If you haven't noticed, people are incredibly shallow.

Whorehay

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2008
This ultraportable market will only get better from here. I'm excited to see how Apple responds to the competition (or even if they will?).

PkennethV

macrumors 6502a
Aug 16, 2006
Toronto
It's not THAT much thinner than the MBP 15"...not worth the major compromise in speed IMO. The Air is thin enough to justify it for some people (i find my 17" perfectly portable and take it with me everywhere).

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008

The MBA actually was thought out and designed. This lenovo is just, lets fit whatever no matter how crappy it is so we can compete with the MBA. There's nothing new about this lenovo.

dsnort

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2006
In persona non grata
This new ThinkPad has at least one major fault -- it uses Windoze.

'Nuff said......

I agree. As long as it's running Windows, the Lenovo is less a portable computer than an over priced under weight boat anchor IMO.

However, it shows what tech specs are possible in this size. Gives Apple a little nudge to move up. Not a bad thing.

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
I agree. As long as it's running Windows, the Lenovo is less a portable computer than an over priced under weight boat anchor IMO.

However, it shows what tech specs are possible in this size. Gives Apple a little nudge to move up. Not a bad thing.

I don't know why anyone would think this does anything for Apple. Hmm, less processing power, thicker, heavy for being plastic. Shoot Apple could fit a whole lot more than we are already getting with our MBA's if they went Lenovo's size and added more weight.

Airforce

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
The MBA actually was thought out and designed. This lenovo is just, lets fit whatever no matter how crappy it is so we can compete with the MBA. There's nothing new about this lenovo.

How can you say that? The Lenovo obviously had more than enough thought and design put into its making to have such a feature rich device. The Air is just a thin computer. No ultra thin drive...no stereo speakers. Just a faster processor and thin......

Who cares what the outside looks like? Honestly folks, it a computer, not a purse. If you're trying to impress someone with electronic devices, you're wrong. ;)

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
How can you say that? The Lenovo obviously had more than enough thought and design put into its making to have such a feature rich device. The Air is just a thin computer. No ultra thin drive...no stereo speakers. Just a faster processor and thin......

Who cares what the outside looks like? Honestly folks, it a computer, not a purse. If you're trying to impress someone with electronic devices, you're wrong. ;)

uhh hello??? Are you kidding???? Big chunk of plastic with no regards for weight, nothing amazing. Apple could fit more if they took the fatter, same weight but used plastic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.