Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bert298

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
I am receiving a new touch soon and was wandering from past user experiences etc etc what is the best product to protect the front of the touch. Bare in mind only protection needed front not bothered about back getting a little dirty. Altho i do not rule out a nice full case if suggested.

Past experiences would be good.

Thnx in advance

bert298

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 11, 2008
thnx for the response, whats ur experience with this product and also does it as with some other simliar products scratch the screen its self because of any movement etc.

Would you recommend this over the invisible shield (if any experience) for my nice shiny new touch.

dagored

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2007
Florida
thnx for the response, whats ur experience with this product and also does it as with some other simliar products scratch the screen its self because of any movement etc.

Would you recommend this over the invisible shield (if any experience) for my nice shiny new touch.

It does not move. If is actually stiff, like a thin piece of clear plastic. You place one end down and smooth it toward the other end as you slowly lower it. You can not even see it once it is applied.

There are three in a pack. I replaced it once and the screen was perfect.

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
It does not move. If is actually stiff, like a thin piece of clear plastic. You place one end down and smooth it toward the other end as you slowly lower it. You can not even see it once it is applied.

There are three in a pack. I replaced it once and the screen was perfect.

Seems nice.

Personally, I don't use any screen protection, but I do have a case on it. I think the screen is built to really be durable. They had keys try and make marks on it and it really was resistant.

t4cgirl

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
Skip the case and screen protector altogether. Keys and coins won't scratch it if you throw it in a pocket, and the lighter and sexier your iphone, the quicker you are to use it and get the most out of it. It's what you paid for!

BrownManUPS

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Denver
Skip the case and screen protector altogether. Keys and coins won't scratch it if you throw it in a pocket, and the lighter and sexier your iphone, the quicker you are to use it and get the most out of it. It's what you paid for!

Unfortunately apple did not give the iTouch aluminum backing, otherwise I would completely agree with you. It has the same glossy background like all previous iPods have. Which I HATE with a fiery passion because it gets so dirty and fingerprinty.

jbarr

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008
For screen protection, I'm using a "Palm Premium Screen protector" for PalmOS PDA's. I have to cut it to fit, but it works well. I purchased a pack of them (12-pack, I think) and it works like a charm. I originally bought them at Circuit City.

Also, I'm currently using the Belkin Silicone sleeve, again from Circuit City, and combined with the screen protector, it is completely "front-pocketable".

TP-Eric

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I went for the Best Skins Ever skins myself. They're flexible but extremely scratch-resistant -- seriously, you can take your keys and scratch the hell out of them and it won't leave a mark. Plus, they're very easy to clean and pretty inexpensive. (I got 3 full-body skins for $25.)

They're the same as the invisibleSHIELD (which is triple the price) -- the only difference is you don't get a little bottle of applicator fluid. Instead you just prepare a solution of water with a drop or two of soap in it. Pretty easy.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a

Invisible Shield is good stuff, as I use it on my professional video gear, for example. That being said, I don't care for the "ripple" effect it can sometimes give a clear surface, like the face of the iPod.

I just bought an iTouch UltraBlack CapsuleTouch-Black case which has a number of different screen covers, and I am very, very happy with it.

MacDann

EdwardsNH

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
I just finished applying a bestskinsever front protector, maybe three minutes ago.

I'm imagining it will look better when dry, but if not, I'm just going to peel it off and stick with a DLO hipcase folio. This will protect the front when not being used as well.

bodhammer

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2008
I have the tuffshields screen saver (5 for $14.95 at Walmart) and agree with the above reports from dagored. I have my iPod in a DLO Folio case. Shield does have a little color wavey pattern visible at at angle with the display off. It is invisible with the display on. I have not noticed any interference with the touch display.

I did screw up my first install with a piece of fiber in the middle of it. Clean the screen really well before you start. Carefully remove the "a" side of the tuffshield and then, before you start applying it, spray the ipod with some canned air. I was not able to remove the tuffshield with a piece of tape but it does lift right up once you get under the corner.

I like them, they are better than the writerights I used on my Palm TT.

EdwardsNH

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
other application advice:

as mentioned on the bestskinsever website... Do the application in a steamy bathroom. This will drop any dust in the room. Clean it with a tech wipe of some sort. Check from every angle. Use the included wipe to dust any remaining dust... apply.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
other application advice:

as mentioned on the bestskinsever website... Do the application in a steamy bathroom. This will drop any dust in the room. Clean it with a tech wipe of some sort. Check from every angle. Use the included wipe to dust any remaining dust... apply.

That's a great idea. I'll have to try that next time I put one of these on something...

MacDann

sers

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2006
I can't understand why people would want a screen protector. The screen is almost impossible to scratch. I've had mine for a month now and have yet to put a mark on it. No need for a screen protector.

The back, however, is a different story.....

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
There are already like 40 threads on this and the front doesn't need protection. Not too difficult really.

EdwardsNH

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
There are already like 40 threads on this and the front doesn't need protection. Not too difficult really.

I've also seen several threads on here from people who scratched their touch.

Not to mention, fingerprints don't show up on my "skin" like they do on the glass.

I guess it would be a good idea to shield the whole thing if you're considering resale value too. What the hell were they thinking with that chrome back? No really, are there any pluses to that (Other than the initial "ooooohhhh shiny")?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.