PDA

View Full Version : PowerBook (G4 1.6ghz) stays on for EXACTLY 4 Minutes!!

thecougher
Feb 22, 2008, 06:32 AM
I posted this in the Apple forums and received not 1 response. I'm trying over here as it seems we have a bit more technical savvy and experience with off the wall issues like the one I'll describe below.
I would hate for this laptop to go to waste. Everything on this thing is mint!

17" 1.67GHZ Powerbook
No matter what configuration I give the powerbook it only stays powered up for 4 minutes (To The Second).
With Battery, No battery, 2 Dimms, 1 Dimm, Different Dimms, After resetting PRAM, After resetting Power module, During install of Leopard, During install of Tiger, Even Just after turning on and doing nothing.

This has got to be the result of some type of hardware check where after 4 minutes of something happening/not happening the unit shuts down.

Believe me it is to the second..........Never seen this from any unit PC, MAC whatever....

Thanks In Advance

dj420118
Feb 22, 2008, 11:00 AM
After seeing everything you have troubleshooted I would venture to guess that the processor temp is going too high and the computer is shutting itself off to protect itself. This is just a theory so don't hound me for it but that is all i can think of. Maybe the thermal paste is no longer doing its job.

robrose20
Feb 22, 2008, 01:52 PM
I posted this in the Apple forums and received not 1 response. I'm trying over here as it seems we have a bit more technical savvy and experience with off the wall issues like the one I'll describe below.
I would hate for this laptop to go to waste. Everything on this thing is mint!

17" 1.67GHZ Powerbook
No matter what configuration I give the powerbook it only stays powered up for 4 minutes (To The Second).
With Battery, No battery, 2 Dimms, 1 Dimm, Different Dimms, After resetting PRAM, After resetting Power module, During install of Leopard, During install of Tiger, Even Just after turning on and doing nothing.

This has got to be the result of some type of hardware check where after 4 minutes of something happening/not happening the unit shuts down.

Believe me it is to the second..........Never seen this from any unit PC, MAC whatever....

Thanks In Advance

Bring it to the genius bar and have them diagnosis it ...

Squonk
Feb 22, 2008, 02:01 PM
After seeing everything you have troubleshooted I would venture to guess that the processor temp is going too high and the computer is shutting itself off to protect itself. This is just a theory so don't hound me for it but that is all i can think of. Maybe the thermal paste is no longer doing its job.

I was also thinking about processor temp as the result of the fan not functioning for whatever reason - dead fan, loose fan cable, motherboard malfunction not triggering the fan to come on.

I have seen a similar thing happen on a, brace yourself, PC.

Bummer to hear you are having problems.

QuarterSwede
Feb 22, 2008, 02:05 PM
After seeing everything you have troubleshooted I would venture to guess that the processor temp is going too high and the computer is shutting itself off to protect itself.
My first thought as well. Make an appointment with an Apple genius and be prepared to lose it for at least a week.