PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft to create iPod competitor featuring video and audi...

MacBytes
Oct 27, 2003, 01:51 PM
Category: Microsoft
Link: Microsoft to create iPod competitor featuring video and audio content (including MP3). (http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=581&e=1&u=/nm/20031027/tc_nm/tech_microsoft_portablemedicenter_dc)

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)

Approved by Mudbug

montex
Oct 27, 2003, 02:19 PM
I'm certain that with Microsoft's legendary design prowess, the "movie-pod" will be a must have for me. I can't wait to get my hands on a device made by a company know for its innovation, quality control and superb interface design. Truely, Apple must be frightened at the prospect!

tutubibi
Oct 27, 2003, 02:21 PM
I can only imagine the spec:

- light and portable at only 1 kg
- latest WinCE Media Edition
- long lasting batteries, more than 2 hours
- convinient 'reboot' switch on the front panel
- simplified DRM: play content with simple authorization key from Passport easily downloaded every 12 hours
- supports iMSN Music Store, $0.05/sec music downloads (some exceptions apply)

:D

bt9
Oct 27, 2003, 03:14 PM
Why does any sign of competition just get totally the wrong reception here?

Admittedly, it's being made my MS, who have made 1 good product ever (they have OK mice).

But, its competition, forcing Apple to put video onto the iPod, which you all want right?

1macker1
Oct 27, 2003, 03:19 PM
I think that ms has just as many good products as apple, it all depends on your needs. I cant wait for this to be released. I think i'll hold off on buying an iPod til i see what this is all about.

Jerry Spoon
Oct 27, 2003, 03:27 PM
So negative! I can tell you there's no way that I'm buying this product, but I'm happy it's coming out. Why? Because if they're mildly successful at it, it will mean similar updates to the iPod. That's what I'm looking forward to.

jxyama
Oct 27, 2003, 05:00 PM
i think jobs said it right and i think the market will prove it... "people don't want to watch movie/tv shows on such a small screen."

portable video games work because video game is a feedback based activity - the user is actively involved, thus small screen is ok because there's some merit to be able to do such a thing on the go, even at the expense of playing with lower resolution screens compared to home consoles.

portable music players work because listening to music is (or can be) a very passive activity. as long as the player is not large and obnoxious, it's good to be able to pass time, listening to music on the go while the device stays virtually in the background of your activities.

movie is kind of in between. it's passive in a sense you can't really interact with the movie. however, it's not completely mindlessly passive (like music can be) because you do have to pay attention a bit or the point of the movie will be missed... how satisfying is it to look at a small screen, being fed the movie on the road..? people didn't catch onto e-books - and that's even easier to "digest" because it's much easier to read the text on a small screen than to watch moving images on one. (of course, ebooks had its own problems...)

portable tv was never successful. and i really doubt it was because you can't watch what you want all the time.

the only way this device will be successful is if it's comparably sized and priced as the iPod, say, with very good music capabilities and the movie capability added as a bonus. if it's too big or expensive, it will flop because it won't be very useful as a music player. people will just opt to watch a movie on their laptop and listen to their music on the ipod.

we shall see...

zamyatin
Oct 27, 2003, 05:29 PM
So MS is going to produce a hardware device that competes with something made by its best buddy Dell? Sounds like domestic trouble in the Windows family!

But without Windows, Dell would be dead. (Or could they survive by switching to Linux wholesale?) Without Dell, MS would hardly notice the difference. Guess who's going to cave in here?

Let's hope this begins to drive a wedge between the two companies, to the detriment of both. These two have had their time of glory, clear them out and let somebody new in!

Jerry Spoon
Oct 27, 2003, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by jxyama
i think jobs said it right and i think the market will prove it... "people don't want to watch movie/tv shows on such a small screen."

But I think people would use a device that moves video and pictures around and makes them easily viewable on a tv. I was at the apple store and was listening to an ipod that was hooked up directly to some jbl speakers. No computer in between the two. I think if people could hook their ipod up directly to their tv (and the hard drives were big enough) they would transport video and/or pics on their ipod.

jxyama
Oct 27, 2003, 09:53 PM
Originally posted by Jerry Spoon
But I think people would use a device that moves video and pictures around and makes them easily viewable on a tv. I was at the apple store and was listening to an ipod that was hooked up directly to some jbl speakers. No computer in between the two. I think if people could hook their ipod up directly to their tv (and the hard drives were big enough) they would transport video and/or pics on their ipod.

a laptop can do that and more... i understand how it might be "nicer" and "easier" if there was no computer but this little device to edit and present movie clips/pictures on a tv. however, if such a device can't draw on its own merit, i.e. being able to watch movie on the go, then it really doesn't matter how it can be used at home unless it provides specific functionality rivaling apps available on a laptop AND it's very, very cheap compared to laptops.

ipod is very usable on its own and the ability to hook it up to larger speakers is a bonus. that feature doesn't make or break the ipod...

i was arguing that i don't think there's a strong demand for a device that can display movie clips on a small screen on the go.

Jerry Spoon
Oct 27, 2003, 11:04 PM
Originally posted by jxyama
a laptop can do that and more... i understand how it might be "nicer" and "easier" if there was no computer but this little device to edit and present movie clips/pictures on a tv. however, if such a device can't draw on its own merit, i.e. being able to watch movie on the go, then it really doesn't matter how it can be used at home unless it provides specific functionality rivaling apps available on a laptop AND it's very, very cheap compared to laptops.

ipod is very usable on its own and the ability to hook it up to larger speakers is a bonus. that feature doesn't make or break the ipod...

i was arguing that i don't think there's a strong demand for a device that can display movie clips on a small screen on the go.
I understand your last statement and agree with it. Laptops fill that role. I think there is a role for an even more portable device than a laptop though that can transport music, video, and pics. I may be the only one wanting this function, but there are times I don't want to drag my laptop around and something the size of the iPod would be much nicer. Is the price of the iPod a factor though. Definitely. Of course, the more things you can do on an iPod, the less of a factor that price becomes for more people.

edit: As far as the feature of hooking up an iPod to speakers making or breaking an iPod, all I can say is that there are people out there who want the iPod to do certain things and if that "new" feature becomes available, whatever it is, that will "make" the iPod for that person. That "making or breaking" point is different for everyone depending on their needs or wants in this type of ultra-portable device.