PDA

View Full Version : Jerky video from Handbrake 9.2

toddngina
Feb 22, 2008, 06:47 PM
I'm new to handbrake and ripping DVDs, but am getting ready for an Apple TV. I tried converting 40 Year Old Virgin, but after converting using the Apple TV preset, I noticed the video playback on my computer appears slightly jerky at times. It must be encoded that way, because the same jerkiness appears no matter what size screen I view the scenes at - it doesn't appear to be playback hardware related. What could be causing this? I'm running on a Windows machine, and am converting from DVDs that are copies of DVDs that I own, with some slight compression from DVDFab. The DVDs play fine. Any suggestions? Frame rate issues?

Thanks

FreeState
Feb 22, 2008, 06:58 PM
I'm new to handbrake and ripping DVDs, but am getting ready for an Apple TV. I tried converting 40 Year Old Virgin, but after converting using the Apple TV preset, I noticed the video playback on my computer appears slightly jerky at times. It must be encoded that way, because the same jerkiness appears no matter what size screen I view the scenes at - it doesn't appear to be playback hardware related. What could be causing this? I'm running on a Windows machine, and am converting from DVDs that are copies of DVDs that I own, with some slight compression from DVDFab. The DVDs play fine. Any suggestions? Frame rate issues?

Thanks

What type of processor does your PC have? .m4v/.mp4 files are very processor intence...

toddngina
Feb 22, 2008, 07:14 PM
I've got a Mobile Pentium 4 3.06 GHz and 1 GB of RAM. Turbo pass right now is giving me about 18 FPS. A bit slow, but seems to be working.

FreeState
Feb 22, 2008, 07:27 PM
I've got a Mobile Pentium 4 3.06 GHz and 1 GB of RAM. Turbo pass right now is giving me about 18 FPS. A bit slow, but seems to be working.

I get 80+ FPS on my turbo passes with about 28 FPS on the non-turbo pass and Im on a 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo with 4 GB RAM (MacBook Pro). You should be getting way better results than that IMO - maybe someone here on a PC can compare/comment.

The playback of the files can be jerky depending on your video card as well.

Stoven
Feb 22, 2008, 08:00 PM
Check your framerate. See if it is at 29.97 or 23.976. It should be 23.976

toddngina
Feb 23, 2008, 07:52 AM
I forced a 23.9xx frame rate and did an encode. Same results. It must be my hardware. Time to swap my 5 year old PC laptop for a new Macbook! ;)