Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Berkowitz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
I bought my touch 5 days ago and am bored with it. I want to jailbreak it but it seems like its so difficult and it seems like theres constant problems with jailbreaking, where you have to download something new everyday to keep the touch running once its been jailbroken. let me know your opinions/words of advice.

Also what are a few examples of programs that you can get with the touch being jailbroken???

overanalyzer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2007
Boston, MA USA
I say wait a week. It's likely some form of the SDK will be released (even if it's a beta) in the coming week, and probably at least some third-party apps from companies that Apple has been working with will be announced as initial demos or releases. Since the SDK will quite possibly mean a new firmware update and will change the purposefulness of jailbreaking, I wouldn't bother with it until you see if/what the end-of-February announcement is going to be.

quicklook2

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2007
lakewood, ohio
I bought my touch 5 days ago and am bored with it. I want to jailbreak it but it seems like its so difficult and it seems like theres constant problems with jailbreaking, where you have to download something new everyday to keep the touch running once its been jailbroken. let me know your opinions/words of advice.

Also what are a few examples of programs that you can get with the touch being jailbroken???

i was bored the first day.

read some stuff on jailbreaking and watch some youtube and if you do not like it than restore and hope sdk will answer your dreams.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
i was bored the first day.

read some stuff on jailbreaking and watch some youtube and if you do not like it than restore and hope sdk will answer your dreams.
I Mean what did you guys want, what were yiu buying?

It's an Ipod , Watch movies, listen to music

quicklook2

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2007
lakewood, ohio
I Mean what did you guys want, what were yiu buying?

It's an Ipod , Watch movies, listen to music

i got it as a gift.

never had or wanted an ipod for music.

only played 2 songs on this one in 2 months.

never will watch a movie on it.

i do like the extra stuff jailbreaking offers.

to each his own.

jbarr

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2008

If you are unsure or feel you don't have the technical knowledge to either Jailbreak your iPod Touch or to recover it if things go bad, then don't do it. For me personally, it was a no-brainer, and since I Jailbroke mine, I have not had to do anything other than enjoy the applications I installed.

Obviously, you don't have to be a technical guru to follow some of the Jailbreak methods, as they are extremely simple and effective. Just understand that when you hack your firmware, there is always a risk involved, and it is up to you to determine if you are willing to take the risk.

Best case: You end up with an iPod Touch that runs any of the available applications, and it will restore without issue should you decide to revert back to "stock" condition.

Worst case: You brick your iPod Touch and turn it into a $400 paper weight.

Here are some examples...
  • Games of varying complexity and quality
  • eBook reader with modest selection of eBooks, and you can add your own.
  • Wikipedia.app, a searchable 2GB snapshot of Wikipedia text content
  • system utilities to tweak and otherwise modify various features and functions
  • PDF reader to read Adobe .PDF files
...to name a few.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.