Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Just a quick question here..

If I removed the boot drive from my macpro and, say, replaced it with the boot drive from a comparable computer running XP, and then turned it on, would I have a fully-functional windows PC?

Also, if I wanted to migrate my OS and apps etc., would it be possible to simple remove the boot drive (with all my apps, etc.) from one macpro and put it onto the other?

I don't see why this wouldn't be possible unless there are some issues with firmware/drivers... Any help would be appreciated!

JNB

macrumors 604
For the first question, mostly no if you're looking for a Plug 'n Play solution. The hardware in the MP doesn't match what's in the registry of the Windows install, plus drivers, activation issues, etc, etc. It could be made to work after a while once you got those little issues out of the way, but practice your cussing skills first.

As to the second question, are you moving completely to the second machine, duplicating things, what? There's Migration Assistant that will bring everything over, plus both SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner that do the job as well.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
As to the second question, are you moving completely to the second machine, duplicating things, what? There's Migration Assistant that will bring everything over, plus both SuperDuper! and Carbon Copy Cloner that do the job as well.

It would really be for the capability to take my "machine" with me to an office (or back home) and still have the power of a macpro wherever I went. If they were both the same model ('06 quad Macpro), do you think there would be a major issue? Or would I be better off with an external HD and my core items...

MikeL

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2003
Bloomington, MN
With few exceptions, OS X installs are universal. Pop the HD out of one MP and stick it in another and you'll be fine. Put it in an external case and use it with a MacBook if you want, for example.

I wouldn't want to swap out drives on a regular basis. The physical connectors on SATA drives aren't intended for that.

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
Thanks for your help, MikeL! Hopefully I won't need to swap out my drives more then a few times, anyway... And I guess that I can use an external if need be :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.