PDA

View Full Version : Apple Blu-Ray Solution Coming Soon?

clayj
Feb 22, 2008, 11:15 PM
I'd love to be able to add a Blu-ray drive (internal) to my Mac Pro, now that the Format War is over. But I don't want to just buy some BD-ROM drive and pray that it will work in my machine.

Does anyone have any clues about when Apple will announce a BD-ROM drive, available as a purchase-time option or an optional later-on add-on from Apple, which Mac Pro users can buy and install?

aaronw1986
Feb 23, 2008, 12:18 AM
http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Pioneer/BDC202BKMP/

$215 from mac sales for mac pro. I think this would be safe for you.

kingkezz
Feb 23, 2008, 04:36 AM
fricking SATA...

psychofreak
Feb 23, 2008, 04:39 AM
Here is one for specifically this purpose:

http://www.mcetech.com/blu-ray/

diamond.g
Feb 23, 2008, 08:05 AM
Just a note. You won't be able to play Blu-ray movies until someone comes out with a player for Mac. Currently you would have to boot into Windows to play a BD movie.

HawaiiMacAddict
Feb 23, 2008, 02:09 PM
Aloha diamond.g,

If I were to purchase a Blu-Ray drive, it would only be for data, although 2x will take some time to fill up even 25GB. I wanted Blu-Ray to win only for the data capacity - they hold more than HD-DVD. Plus, I kind of wanted the consumers and/or the studios to stick it to Micro$haft - they've taken plenty of my money over the years for sub-par computing "solutions".

I don't have an HD TV set yet, so I'm not too interested in seeing HD movies, although that may change. One of our large rear-projection (50") TVs now is suffering mis-aligned RGB bulbs ($375 for the TV tech to even come out to the house to attempt re-aligning them), so my wife wants to get a SONY Bravia 42" LCD flat panel HDTV. As for HD movies, I'll wait until the price of ownership comes down a bit - $700 for an internal drive? That's way too high for me to even consider.

Once the price, not only of the drive, but also of the media, comes down a bit, I'll probably pick up an external. I already bought Toast 8, so I have the software to burn content onto the media. We'll also have to wait for MTR to catch up as well hehehe :D I just can't wrap my head around a single disc holding up to 50GB of data now, with possibly 100GB on a quad-layer disc also becoming commercially available. That's a hard drive on your disc!

HawaiiMacAddict

takeabyteoutta
Feb 23, 2008, 02:26 PM
Aloha diamond.g,

If I were to purchase a Blu-Ray drive, it would only be for data, although 2x will take some time to fill up even 25GB. I wanted Blu-Ray to win only for the data capacity - they hold more than HD-DVD. Plus, I kind of wanted the consumers and/or the studios to stick it to Micro$haft - they've taken plenty of my money over the years for sub-par computing "solutions".

I don't have an HD TV set yet, so I'm not too interested in seeing HD movies, although that may change. One of our large rear-projection (50") TVs now is suffering mis-aligned RGB bulbs ($375 for the TV tech to even come out to the house to attempt re-aligning them), so my wife wants to get a SONY Bravia 42" LCD flat panel HDTV. As for HD movies, I'll wait until the price of ownership comes down a bit - $700 for an internal drive? That's way too high for me to even consider.

Once the price, not only of the drive, but also of the media, comes down a bit, I'll probably pick up an external. I already bought Toast 8, so I have the software to burn content onto the media. We'll also have to wait for MTR to catch up as well hehehe :D I just can't wrap my head around a single disc holding up to 50GB of data now, with possibly 100GB on a quad-layer disc also becoming commercially available. That's a hard drive on your disc!

?HawaiiMacAddict

If you're going to buy Sony, make sure you get the free PS3 with it (there's deals online), otherwise its not worth it. Samsung and Vizio HDTV's are a better value. If you already have a sound system, defiently samsung. If you don't, take a look at some Vizio's. The sound quality is ridiculous and thats one of the other advantages of Blu-ray over HD DVD...better sound.

As for the quad-layer, by the time that becomes viable, 120 GB FLASH USB sticks will be $30. Flash and downloadable content are where data storage and media content are heading.

toke lahti
Feb 24, 2008, 06:28 AM
Does anyone have any clues about when Apple will announce a BD-ROM drive, available as a purchase-time option or an optional later-on add-on from Apple, which Mac Pro users can buy and install?
I'll bet that Apple won't support any bd-drive before you can also watch bd-movies from it and that needs HDCP support from OS.
And that will come in 10.5.5? 10.6?

toke lahti
Feb 24, 2008, 06:44 AM
As for the quad-layer, by the time that becomes viable, 120 GB FLASH USB sticks will be $30. Flash and downloadable content are where data storage and media content are heading.
Quad layer bd-r will be $20 2010. By the same time $20 usb stick will have 32GB. So bd-r has 3 times more capacity and one big advantage: you can't accidentally erase data from it.

kingkezz
Feb 24, 2008, 11:58 PM
And that will come in 10.5.5? 10.6?

Lets not get carried away here...

big dainjerus
Feb 25, 2008, 12:02 AM
Apple can't even make mac pros that aren't ****ed up, I'd say at least a year until they drop some blu-ray on us

LeKiD
Feb 25, 2008, 01:27 AM
700$ for that bd burner! wow!

Mr.PS
Feb 25, 2008, 01:42 AM
Apple can't even make mac pros that aren't ****ed up, I'd say at least a year until they drop some blu-ray on us

Ati just cannot provide video cards that are ****ed up. I got the 8800GT and haven't looked back, it's flawless.

toke lahti
Feb 25, 2008, 05:10 AM
Lets not get carried away here...
So what's your guess?
10.5.3 at mid-March event?

toke lahti
Feb 25, 2008, 05:13 AM
Ati just cannot provide video cards that are ****ed up. I got the 8800GT and haven't looked back, it's flawless.
Hmm,
1) AMD(ATI) delivered efi32 with 2600XT, so they work in older MP's, Nvidia didn't.
2) 8800GT's drivers are so bad that card is as slow as 2600XT in many applications.
3) Nvidia does not support 10/12/16-bit rendering in FCS's Color.