Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
I'm tired of all the hype about new MacBook Pros coming out. So, all you MBP owners, take a number and get in line.
I think MacBook owners should be first to get an update.

And yes, I realize Apple just updated the internals of the MacBook.

But....
Has anyone noticed the MacBook is the last Apple device that hasn't been updated to this "aluminum" fad that Apple has created?
I mean, every other device has migrated from the "white box" design to the "aluminum" design.
Everything...the Mini, the iMac, even the iPods (with the exception of the Classic and its name alone implies its days are numbered too) are all aluminum enclosures now.

When will Apple update the design of the MacBook to match all their other products?

I'm asking a serious question here.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
The Mini hasn't changed design since the G4 era. To have a Mini in this design scheme, the top would need to be that glossy black that that Apple uses...

Oh, man, that'd be slick. Of course, the Mini needs to become a more expandable minitower when this happens... :rolleyes:

But yeah, the MacBook is the only thing that Apple cares about that hasn't gotten the makeover. We'll see them in aluminum for the next update.

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
i hope never, i love the white.

Ya gotta admire the romantics out there. ;-)
I love my white MB too, but the ergonomics of where the wrist pad connects to the frame are not too friendly. I hate the lines it leaves on my wrists when I'm lazy and resting my hands on the wristpads.

@Tallest SKil:
I thought the mini used to be totally white plastic instead of the aluminum/plastic combo it is today?

JML42691

macrumors 68020
Oct 24, 2007
Although I have no intentions of getting any new computer in the near future (my 3 month old Macbook works fine enough), I am with the people that would like to see a revision of the MBP casing instead, it hasn't really changed at all, even from the PowerBook G4 to the very first MBP, the only real noticeable difference was the iSight camera and MagSafe. The MB on the other hand, received a lot of more changes from the iBook to the MacBook (MagSafe, iSight, MagLatch, much thinner profile, ect). And plus, the MB is meant to be more of a regular use computer rather than a professional one like the MBP, which is why I think that Apple will continue to stick with the white/black options for a while, which although it doesn't look as professional as the MBP, I believe that is what Apple is going for.

tbear1

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2007
I have no idea when they will update the design (neither does anybody else). I like the current form factor. I don't think it looks dated, hence my comments below...

From a business standpoint, until the hardware size and heat rejection changes significantly (think MPA) there doesn't seem to be a reason to change. Unless there are other forces (recycleability, product theme, slow sales, manufacturing molds worn out, etc), why should they change? Most of the rumor boards seem to predict product changes much faster than any business can really justify. It makes for good reading.

Glenn

markrivers

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
Stevenson Ranch, California
persnoally, i think the macbook ($1299) is the most "bang for your bucks" in the apple line up, the only thing holding me from buying it.. and waiting for the MBP is the plastic design, but if they changed it to an aluminum.. the current MBP will lose a chunk of its members...

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Nope it's always looked how it does now, the only difference is they added an extra usb port on the back.

You're right, my mistake. I pulled up some images of 2005 Mac Minis for sale and they all look like new ones. Thanks for setting me straight.

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Today's macrumors.com headline talks about possible premature updates to the MacBook. Do they know something? Or are they just speculating, like the topic of this thread? :D

Mikebuzzsaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I think they can still redesign the macbook but keep the traditional white. my guess is... apple laptops will get thinner, but the overall design will stay the same.

l4t13

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2006
I think they can still redesign the macbook but keep the traditional white. my guess is... apple laptops will get thinner, but the overall design will stay the same.

i like my black, although a type of metal case would be ncie

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
So, all you MBP owners, take a number and get in line.
I think MacBook owners should be first to get an update.

And yes, I realize Apple just updated the internals of the MacBook.
Um, the entire external design of the MacBook was updated when the iBook was replaced by the MacBook. :confused:

When the PowerBook was replaced by the MacBook Pro, virtually no external design features changed.

So basically, since the MacBook's already had a design change once and the MBP hasn't, I think you MB folks need to not be greedy and move to the back of the line. :D

Seriously though, welcome back. :)

MacFanBoyIIe

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 22, 2008
Um, the entire external design of the MacBook was updated when the iBook was replaced by the MacBook. :confused:

When the PowerBook was replaced by the MacBook Pro, virtually no external design features changed.

So basically, since the MacBook's already had a design change once and the MBP hasn't, I think you MB folks need to not be greedy and move to the back of the line. :D

Seriously though, welcome back. :)

All true. But I can still dream...

chickenninja

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2008
inside my skull
i am so sick of white... for real you guys, every wall is white and square, i am so sick of it. the ibook's design is sooo much better than a white square. im hoping that the next macbook and macbook pro are not so boring. i think aluminum is a good logicle choice despite my distaste for reflective things around my screens. logicle because aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat, surpassed only by copper silver gold and diamond. and unlike copper its light weight, doesnt corrode, and is very recycleable. im hoping that the cases will be more rounded and take on a black look with backlit keys across the board on all models not just notebooks. but macbooks arent just white theyre black too, which is why the next one will be zebra striped.

Ironduke

Suspended
Nov 12, 2006
England
Heres hoping they Aluminium the macbook and offer it painted black too.

Yeah death to White book!

(sorry im a smoker:D)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.