PDA

View Full Version : New MacBook design?

MacFanBoyIIe
Feb 23, 2008, 07:39 AM
I'm tired of all the hype about new MacBook Pros coming out. So, all you MBP owners, take a number and get in line.
I think MacBook owners should be first to get an update.

And yes, I realize Apple just updated the internals of the MacBook.

But....
Has anyone noticed the MacBook is the last Apple device that hasn't been updated to this "aluminum" fad that Apple has created?
I mean, every other device has migrated from the "white box" design to the "aluminum" design.
Everything...the Mini, the iMac, even the iPods (with the exception of the Classic and its name alone implies its days are numbered too) are all aluminum enclosures now.

When will Apple update the design of the MacBook to match all their other products?

I'm asking a serious question here.

Tallest Skil
Feb 23, 2008, 07:43 AM
The Mini hasn't changed design since the G4 era. To have a Mini in this design scheme, the top would need to be that glossy black that that Apple uses...

Oh, man, that'd be slick. Of course, the Mini needs to become a more expandable minitower when this happens... :rolleyes:

But yeah, the MacBook is the only thing that Apple cares about that hasn't gotten the makeover. We'll see them in aluminum for the next update.

amanda kathryn
Feb 23, 2008, 07:44 AM
i hope never, i love the white.

MacFanBoyIIe
Feb 23, 2008, 07:49 AM

Ya gotta admire the romantics out there. ;-)
I love my white MB too, but the ergonomics of where the wrist pad connects to the frame are not too friendly. I hate the lines it leaves on my wrists when I'm lazy and resting my hands on the wristpads.

@Tallest SKil:
I thought the mini used to be totally white plastic instead of the aluminum/plastic combo it is today?

mojohanna
Feb 23, 2008, 08:01 AM
The ipod classic is now in aluminum. Where have you been the last 6 months?

MacFanBoyIIe
Feb 23, 2008, 08:11 AM
The ipod classic is now in aluminum. Where have you been the last 6 months?

Iraq. Seriously.

I thought the front face was still white?
Great, now my MB really feels all alone...

amanda kathryn
Feb 23, 2008, 08:14 AM
Iraq. Seriously.

lol, yeah the classic is either silver or a matte black aluminum, like the nanos basically.

your macbook has a friend in my macbook, don't worry ;)

marykay9507
Feb 23, 2008, 08:15 AM

i agree with you-- i love my white iMac and MacBook-- feels like Apple to me

Cybergypsy
Feb 23, 2008, 08:15 AM
the white is great but the quality not so good

JML42691
Feb 23, 2008, 08:17 AM
Although I have no intentions of getting any new computer in the near future (my 3 month old Macbook works fine enough), I am with the people that would like to see a revision of the MBP casing instead, it hasn't really changed at all, even from the PowerBook G4 to the very first MBP, the only real noticeable difference was the iSight camera and MagSafe. The MB on the other hand, received a lot of more changes from the iBook to the MacBook (MagSafe, iSight, MagLatch, much thinner profile, ect). And plus, the MB is meant to be more of a regular use computer rather than a professional one like the MBP, which is why I think that Apple will continue to stick with the white/black options for a while, which although it doesn't look as professional as the MBP, I believe that is what Apple is going for.

tbear1
Feb 23, 2008, 08:19 AM
I have no idea when they will update the design (neither does anybody else). I like the current form factor. I don't think it looks dated, hence my comments below...

From a business standpoint, until the hardware size and heat rejection changes significantly (think MPA) there doesn't seem to be a reason to change. Unless there are other forces (recycleability, product theme, slow sales, manufacturing molds worn out, etc), why should they change? Most of the rumor boards seem to predict product changes much faster than any business can really justify. It makes for good reading.

Glenn

TheNightPhoenix
Feb 23, 2008, 08:21 AM
@Tallest SKil:
I thought the mini used to be totally white plastic instead of the aluminum/plastic combo it is today?

Nope it's always looked how it does now, the only difference is they added an extra usb port on the back.

markrivers
Feb 23, 2008, 08:21 AM
persnoally, i think the macbook ($1299) is the most "bang for your bucks" in the apple line up, the only thing holding me from buying it.. and waiting for the MBP is the plastic design, but if they changed it to an aluminum.. the current MBP will lose a chunk of its members...

MacFanBoyIIe
Feb 23, 2008, 08:36 AM
Nope it's always looked how it does now, the only difference is they added an extra usb port on the back.

You're right, my mistake. I pulled up some images of 2005 Mac Minis for sale and they all look like new ones. Thanks for setting me straight.

MacFanBoyIIe
Feb 25, 2008, 01:39 AM
Today's macrumors.com headline talks about possible premature updates to the MacBook. Do they know something? Or are they just speculating, like the topic of this thread? :D

slybeans
Feb 25, 2008, 01:46 AM
Today's macrumors.com headline talks about possible premature updates to the MacBook. Do they know something? Or are they just speculating, like the topic of this thread? :D

Where?

MacFanBoyIIe
Feb 25, 2008, 02:50 PM
Where?

Here:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/02/24/macbook-pro-updates-this-tuesday/

Mikebuzzsaw
Feb 25, 2008, 02:55 PM
I think they can still redesign the macbook but keep the traditional white. my guess is... apple laptops will get thinner, but the overall design will stay the same.

l4t13
Feb 25, 2008, 02:58 PM
I think they can still redesign the macbook but keep the traditional white. my guess is... apple laptops will get thinner, but the overall design will stay the same.

i like my black, although a type of metal case would be ncie

aristobrat
Feb 25, 2008, 03:00 PM
So, all you MBP owners, take a number and get in line.

Um, the entire external design of the MacBook was updated when the iBook was replaced by the MacBook. :confused:

When the PowerBook was replaced by the MacBook Pro, virtually no external design features changed.

So basically, since the MacBook's already had a design change once and the MBP hasn't, I think you MB folks need to not be greedy and move to the back of the line. :D

Seriously though, welcome back. :)

MacFanBoyIIe
Feb 26, 2008, 02:24 AM
Um, the entire external design of the MacBook was updated when the iBook was replaced by the MacBook. :confused:

When the PowerBook was replaced by the MacBook Pro, virtually no external design features changed.

So basically, since the MacBook's already had a design change once and the MBP hasn't, I think you MB folks need to not be greedy and move to the back of the line. :D

Seriously though, welcome back. :)

All true. But I can still dream...

MacFanBoyIIe
Feb 26, 2008, 02:28 AM
Well, maybe we will have to wait a little longer:

http://www.maclife.com/article/macbook_pro_update_event_horizon

I still love my white MB. There is something very 1990s about it, and I like that. :apple:

chickenninja
Feb 26, 2008, 02:46 AM
i am so sick of white... for real you guys, every wall is white and square, i am so sick of it. the ibook's design is sooo much better than a white square. im hoping that the next macbook and macbook pro are not so boring. i think aluminum is a good logicle choice despite my distaste for reflective things around my screens. logicle because aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat, surpassed only by copper silver gold and diamond. and unlike copper its light weight, doesnt corrode, and is very recycleable. im hoping that the cases will be more rounded and take on a black look with backlit keys across the board on all models not just notebooks. but macbooks arent just white theyre black too, which is why the next one will be zebra striped.

Ironduke
Feb 26, 2008, 03:01 AM
Heres hoping they Aluminium the macbook and offer it painted black too.

Yeah death to White book!

(sorry im a smoker:D)

MacFanBoyIIe
Feb 26, 2008, 06:22 AM
More rumors (courtesy of Dr. Macenstein):

http://macenstein.com/default/archives/1165

michaelsviews
Feb 26, 2008, 08:28 AM
I had a MBP, sold it , or better yet the proper way to say this is Sold / Traded it. I am happy with the out come of the deal and have a brand new White Macbook 2.2, C2D, 120 Gig HD and 4 Gig of Ram. Mines White and I bought the Marware palm rest stick thing but may not put it on. For what I do the Macbook is more than powerful enough. Would love to see them make this a 15 inch model. I will say that where I use my computer and with wireless I could never see all the other access points around the neighbor hood with the MBP that I can see with the Macbook, I believe the reason is the Plastic over the Aluminum. Oh and the main thing, it fits my budget, could have gotten the Air but to me it is NOT worth the money. So if Steve Jobs reads the forums plz make a White or Black MBP in Plastic not Aluminum and I will buy it.

Also there's no 3rd Party Software to add more functionality to the track pad for a mac ? I am finding that kind of hard to believe, but no worries, mine works fine for me.

MacFanBoyIIe
Feb 26, 2008, 08:35 AM
Sigh.....enjoy ur white and black MBs for a while longer.
Just new guts, no new body work.

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/02/26/apple-releases-new-penryn-based-macbooks/

MacFanBoyIIe
Feb 26, 2008, 08:44 AM
I had a MBP, sold it , or better yet the proper way to say this is Sold / Traded it. I am happy with the out come of the deal and have a brand new White Macbook 2.2, C2D, 120 Gig HD and 4 Gig of Ram.... I will say that where I use my computer and with wireless I could never see all the other access points around the neighbor hood with the MBP that I can see with the Macbook, I believe the reason is the Plastic over the Aluminum.

1) Are you going to take it back and get a brand BRAND new one now?

2) Interesting theory on the wireless connectivity (plastic vs. aluminum). I'm curious if there is an actual study out there on this. Anyone?

michaelsviews
Feb 26, 2008, 08:56 AM
1) Are you going to take it back and get a brand BRAND new one now?

2) Interesting theory on the wireless connectivity (plastic vs. aluminum). I'm curious if there is an actual study out there on this. Anyone?

Have nothing to gain, 2.2 to 2.4 ? and some hard drive space, not worth the trouble of removing the 4 gig and putting the stock 1 gig in an reloading the OS, you get the idea backing up and going through the motions.

I have 90% of what I need on this new machine loaded and have 93Gig left, its a 120gig, I can goto macsales and get a bigger drive for less money.

The biggest thing that cracks me up with apple is the certified Apple memory, the memory I took out was samsung, the 4 gig from macsales was samsung, where do you get off charging close to triple for the same memory ?

Like I said , I really like this computer, switched last March as a matter of fact and have not looked back. I dont play hardcore games. So as the saying goes. It Just works for me :D:apple:

MacFanBoyIIe
Feb 26, 2008, 09:14 AM
The biggest thing that cracks me up with apple is the certified Apple memory, the memory I took out was samsung, the 4 gig from macsales was samsung, where do you get off charging close to triple for the same memory ?

Glad you are happy with your MB!

Yeah I know what you mean about the overpriced memory. I have 8GB in my MP. Thank you OWC!

tMac85
Feb 26, 2008, 09:46 AM
personally i dont think the MB will ever see aluminum. Its what sets the mbp from the mb. I think they will soon just switch the mac book to all black. or just stick with white and black. and you wont see a new case design for a while. The mbp is miles ahead of it, in terms of needs.

Cybergypsy
Feb 26, 2008, 09:47 AM
Have nothing to gain, 2.2 to 2.4 ? and some hard drive space, not worth the trouble of removing the 4 gig and putting the stock 1 gig in an reloading the OS, you get the idea backing up and going through the motions.

I have 90% of what I need on this new machine loaded and have 93Gig left, its a 120gig, I can goto macsales and get a bigger drive for less money.

Like I said , I really like this computer, switched last March as a matter of fact and have not looked back. I dont play hardcore games. So as the saying goes. It Just works for me :D:apple:

Take it from somone who has had both the 2.4 is better,,,,,dont listen to people who have maybe never owned one at all.

michaelsviews
Feb 26, 2008, 09:53 AM
Take it from somone who has had both the 2.4 is better,,,,,dont listen to people who have maybe never owned one at all.

Between 2.2 and 2.4 what programs and what advantages overall did you notice ? I find this hard to believe from a user that switched to the AIR, or was that a fashion statement?

mojohanna
Feb 26, 2008, 06:50 PM
Iraq. Seriously.

Sorry about that. I should have been more thoughtful. I appreciate your service over there. Not something I think I could do. Thanks much.

catfish743
Feb 26, 2008, 06:54 PM
Personally I feel they will do what they did with the iPods with the macbooks in the next update. I sense aluminum for a little more and then the standard white for a little less and doing away with the black completely. I really like the white and black macbooks though, so if they don't update it it is fine with me. I just have a feeling they will sometime around July.

eddy64
Feb 26, 2008, 07:07 PM
Is anyone else VERY dissapointed that the new MBs dont have LED screens? If they would have come out with LED screens, I would have instantly bought one without thnking twice about it. My guess is that Apple will update the screens to LED in WWDC (I think thats what its called) this june. :(

michaelsviews
Feb 26, 2008, 07:08 PM

One other thing dont listen to people that make statements without reason or justification like "Cy)(&*()*&^%$#$%^&*("

acfusion29
Feb 26, 2008, 07:11 PM
Can anybody Photoshop a silver mb?

GCY
Feb 26, 2008, 07:12 PM
Is anyone else VERY dissapointed that the new MBs dont have LED screens? If they would have come out with LED screens, I would have instantly bought one without thnking twice about it. My guess is that Apple will update the screens to LED in WWDC (I think thats what its called) this june. :(

If thats a big event, I could see both MB and MBP to get new updates. Maybe I should wait till then to get a MBP

dougnewman
Feb 26, 2008, 07:13 PM
I would think the MBP will get a new case design sooner.

The MB case design dates only to the first-gen MB... In contrast, the MBP still uses the same basic case design as the aluminum PB.

IMHO both the MB and MBP look a bit dated compared to the MBA, the iMac and the various iPods.

AlexanderTgreat
Feb 26, 2008, 08:56 PM
I'm tired of all the hype about new MacBook Pros coming out. So, all you MBP owners, take a number and get in line.

But....
Has anyone noticed the MacBook is the last Apple device that hasn't been updated to this "aluminum" fad that Apple has created?
I mean, every other device has migrated from the "white box" design to the "aluminum" design.
Everything...the Mini, the iMac, even the iPods (with the exception of the Classic and its name alone implies its days are numbered too) are all aluminum enclosures now.

When will Apple update the design of the MacBook to match all their other products?

I'm asking a serious question here.

I was very much hoping for a complete redesign not just an internal upgrade which we had today. The macbook has some nice features but the hardware quality is just the pits. The first set as far as I'm conserned with making the product decent is getting ride of the grossly substandard plastic that it's made with. Whether that means going to aluminum or a higher quality plastic, I don't really mind. No doubt aluminum macbooks are coming but it looks like not for a while unfortunately

ripplet
Feb 26, 2008, 09:04 PM
As quoted from AppleInsider's recent article (http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/02/26/more_macbook_details_battery_life_claims_enviro_push_more.html):

"The new metric is not the only undocumented change by the Mac maker, which also notes that its new systems should be more environmentally friendly than old models -- though not as clean as demanded by Greenpeace and other activist groups. Apple describes the "majority" of either system's circuit boards and internal cabling as free of toxic brominated flame retardants (BFRs) and PVC plastic. In his open letter, company chief Steve Jobs said he hoped Apple would completely eliminate both materials from Macs by the end of this year."

I'm guessing if Stevo is under real pressure, he might do the redesign in WWDC. No more plastics and more aluminium. So here's hoping for a redesign in the course of this year! :(

Then again, I'm loving the white of the MacBook. It's just a classic Apple product. Ugh. Greenpeace....:mad:

dougnewman
Feb 26, 2008, 09:28 PM
The first set as far as I'm conserned with making the product decent is getting ride of the grossly substandard plastic that it's made with. Whether that means going to aluminum or a higher quality plastic, I don't really mind.Be careful what you wish for.

I have found my MB to be more durable than the aluminum 12" PB I had before it, which was a rather delicate little thing.

The MB scratches very easily, but doesn't dent easily. The aluminum is almost impossible to scratch, but very easy to dent if dropped.

On the other hand, I agree that the MB upper case is made of too-flimsy plastic. (This is claimed to have been improved now.) Certainly, the upper case cracking issue is a serious one. And all the white plastic has an unfortunate tendency to discolor, which of course aluminum doesn't.

So when we see aluminum MBs, I suspect it will really be a case of Apple giveth and Apple taketh away....

On the other hand, as I said, I think both the MB and MBP really could use redesigns. I love the current MBP case design but it is not 'in line' with the new identity of the iMac and MBA, and as for the MB, the plastic is obviously on its way out. Indeed, the current MB may go down in history as the last revision of the last all-plastic Mac ever, if the proclamations of no more PVC by year's end are correct. (That could also result in the rather perverse situation of the MB getting a new case design before the far older MBP.)

Either way, all the MBs and MBPs are still great notebooks, and IMHO a lot prettier than virtually anyone else's!

AlexanderTgreat
Feb 26, 2008, 09:35 PM
Be careful what you wish for.

I have found my MB to be more durable than the aluminum 12" PB I had before it, which was a rather delicate little thing.

The MB scratches very easily, but doesn't dent easily. The aluminum is almost impossible to scratch, but very easy to dent if dropped.

On the other hand, I agree that the MB upper case is made of too-flimsy plastic. (This is claimed to have been improved now.) Certainly, the upper case cracking issue is a serious one. And all the white plastic has an unfortunate tendency to discolor, which of course aluminum doesn't.

So when we see aluminum MBs, I suspect it will really be a case of Apple giveth and Apple taketh away....

On the other hand, as I said, I think both the MB and MBP really could use redesigns. I love the current MBP case design but it is not 'in line' with the new identity of the iMac and MBA, and as for the MB, the plastic is obviously on its way out. Indeed, the current MB may go down in history as the last revision of the last all-plastic Mac ever, if the proclamations of no more PVC by year's end are correct. (That could also result in the rather perverse situation of the MB getting a new case design before the far older MBP.)

Either way, all the MBs and MBPs are still great notebooks, and IMHO a lot prettier than virtually anyone else's!

You have a good point, aluminum cases aren't all sunshine and roses. I was a big believer in the plastic shell that was used on my previous ibooks that seemed to stand up fairly wel. My last two macbooks have definitely soured me on plastic now though.

dougnewman
Feb 26, 2008, 10:00 PM
You have a good point, aluminum cases aren't all sunshine and roses. I was a big believer in the plastic shell that was used on my previous ibooks that seemed to stand up fairly wel. My last two macbooks have definitely soured me on plastic now though.I never owned an iBook but it certainly had the reputation of a very durable machine.

I was happy to give up the aluminum case from my 12" PowerBook, but am now rather looking forward to going back to it when I buy my a new MBP in the next few weeks. As I said, the outside shell of my MB has managed not to dent, but I am surprised by how easily it scratched and discolored. And of course, the top case has turned out to be very fragile. I am quite surprised that it actually took about 10 months for mine to crack, given that I do not really baby my notebooks.

What would be ideal is an aluminum case that is thicker, so it doesn't dent so easily. Indeed, I have no idea if the current MBP cases are the same thickness of aluminum as my 12" PB, which seemed about as thin as it could be made without being ridiculously fragile.

coachingguy
Feb 26, 2008, 10:17 PM
All these forums discussing the need for a MB & MBP redesign, I don't get it. How drastic are people expecting? While the MBA is thin, it's still basically the same design. What are people expecting. Apple had a pretty extreme design with the multi-hued toilet seat iBook. But look around, rectangular, plastic or titanium/aluminum what are your other options? While I wouldn't mind an aluminum MB, I don't see what else Apple can do? Ive is a genius and all, but this isn't Hogwarts people:p

Honestly, I wouldn't consider them offering a Black or other color alum MBP a redesign.

I know there is a lot of passion for a new 12" MBP, but unless it had a widescreen aspect as the MB does, I don't think it would sell well. I had the 12.1" G4 iBook, compared to my MB that was a much poorer screen design. Can you do a widescreen aspect with 12"?

Coachingguy

dougnewman
Feb 26, 2008, 10:19 PM
you do a widescreen aspect with 12"?
Yes. It's what most new 12" notebooks have.

Anyway, I had a 12" PB... I loved how portable it was, but ultimately the display was too small.

nickXedge
Feb 26, 2008, 10:59 PM
I am a huge fan of the white Macbook. I think if they make it aluminum it is too easily confusable with the MBP and it's the last thing distinguishing it as a consumer product. The Air is aluminum however it is unmistakable as a Pro.

The only problem I have with the White Macbook is that is scratches easily. I was actually at the Genius Bar today and we got into a topic of the Speck hard cases that come in colors for the Macbooks and MBPs and I agreed with 2 Geniuses that although they look really nice, they scratch the White Macbook too easily, the aluminum MBP however is virtually unscratchable.

I don't use one for just that reason. It's not a major problem though, IMO. I will miss the White Macbook very much when it eventually goes.

mbrydone
Feb 27, 2008, 12:35 AM
Are you serious!!! MBP should wait! the design has been the same since the Al Powerbook G4, the MacBook is a different disign from the iBook while the MBP is only different in that it incorporates the iSight camera!

inspir3
Feb 27, 2008, 01:32 AM
Like many, i think we will see some nice changes during WWDC.
my personal predictions are that during WWDC, uproar will happen as the line between macbook and mbp become even thinner, a separate event will happen during the last few months of the year where the mbp will shine in all its glory with a new design to increase the mb and mbp gap.
i'm sure apple are thinking of re designs..they cant possibly stick to their current designs for much longer, the halo affect will disappear soon.

MacFanBoyIIe
Feb 27, 2008, 03:07 AM
Like many, i think we will see some nice changes during WWDC.
my personal predictions are that during WWDC, uproar will happen as the line between macbook and mbp become even thinner, a separate event will happen during the last few months of the year where the mbp will shine in all its glory with a new design to increase the mb and mbp gap.
i'm sure apple are thinking of re designs..they cant possibly stick to their current designs for much longer, the halo affect will disappear soon.

What you describe is a very good strategy. Are you in marketing or something? LOL! Seriously though, it would be better for sales to release a new MB design at WWDC (or around that time), boosting the MB hype and sales. Then later this year, just as the sales peak, release an new MBP design, and whoosh, watch the sales go up again.

And as someone stated before, Mr. Jobs has the GreenPeace guys breathing down his neck to go all-aluminum, reportedly by the end of the year.

dougnewman
Feb 27, 2008, 06:57 AM
I am a huge fan of the white Macbook. I think if they make it aluminum it is too easily confusable with the MBP and it's the last thing distinguishing it as a consumer product.I always thought the white plastic = consumer, aluminum = pro strategy was a good one, but that idea seems to have died a long time ago.

Just look at the iMac, iPods etc. I still think the MacBook looks great, but it's obviously not where Apple's design is headed.

Lovers of white plastic should buy a new MacBook now as it will almost certainly be the last white plastic Mac for a long time.

drew0020
Feb 27, 2008, 09:08 AM
I was hoping for a case redesign as well. I recently purchased the Air, but continue to have a hard time justifying the $3K cost. I wish Apple re-did the Macbook or at least added multi-touch. I love the multi-touch feature of the Air!