PDA

View Full Version : Hard Wired or WIFI

Siron
Feb 23, 2008, 09:02 AM
I have a simple questions (and I apologize if it's been asked before - I did do a forum search).
I have the faster of the DSL options with a Gigabit N router. Will I get a faster connection if I hook up the ATV with a CAT 6 cable or WiFi?
Thanks
Alan

dogtanian
Feb 23, 2008, 10:22 AM
I have a simple questions (and I apologize if it's been asked before - I did do a forum search).
I have the faster of the DSL options with a Gigabit N router. Will I get a faster connection if I hook up the ATV with a CAT 6 cable or WiFi?
Thanks
Alan

I believe ethernet is a little faster but it depends whether you have space to run a wire, if you don't then 802.11n looks fine :)

dogtanian

APPLENEWBIE
Feb 23, 2008, 10:24 AM
Thanks
Alan

Either one should work fine. Either one (ethernet cable or wifi) is faster than your DSL line. I started with wifi on a "g" network, but switched to ethernet and, for me, it has been somewhat less hassle.

aross99
Feb 23, 2008, 10:31 AM
If you have an easy way to use wired ethernet, I would go that way - especially if your iTunes library is on a wireless computer. You will find much faster sync times with the apple TV if both devices are not on the wireless connection.

virus7
Feb 23, 2008, 10:52 AM
wired will give you a more reliable connection than wireless. if you have it use it!

severe
Feb 23, 2008, 01:21 PM
Just switched to wire from a G networked Wi-Fi connection. I hadn't any issues with Wi-Fi, but my satellite TV receiver has added functionality with an ethernet/internet connection that I just started utilizing. This satellite receiver also has throughput for another ethernet cable. So hooking up my AppleTV was as simple as about a 2' cable from the AppleTV to the receiver.

So far, so good. I do notice faster syncing, but haven't had enough time to check it out any further. So in my case, it was a "why not?" no brainer to wire it up.

billabong
Feb 23, 2008, 03:43 PM
Isn't 802.11n faster than ethernet?

smilinmonki666
Feb 23, 2008, 08:46 PM
Isn't 802.11n faster than ethernet?

Ethernet is a wired connection & can run upto 1Gbps. Standard n transmits upto 70Mbps (If I can remember correctly). But it all depends on your system(s)/ router & cabling. If your streaming lossless or .WAV audio & video files to your :apple:TV or other device, I would always recommend a direct wired connection. Its also safer security wise. I like to be secure with my network & data, you never know who's out there. But when wired, make sure your router/server has a firewall or your system has one.

If you are unable to use a wired connection, then wireless is still good. But streaming video, depending on the bit rate/ sample rate for audio/visual, it could get chopy & annoying, sync'ing your media to your :apple:TV would solve the problem, but large files, i.e. 3.6Gb, may take a while to sync.

Hope that helps.

AVonGauss
Feb 23, 2008, 09:08 PM
Ethernet is a wired connection & can run upto 1Gbps. Standard n transmits upto 70Mbps (If I can remember correctly). But it all depends on your system(s)/ router & cabling. If your streaming lossless or .WAV audio & video files to your :apple:TV or other device, I would always recommend a direct wired connection. Its also safer security wise. I like to be secure with my network & data, you never know who's out there. But when wired, make sure your router/server has a firewall or your system has one.

If you are unable to use a wired connection, then wireless is still good. But streaming video, depending on the bit rate/ sample rate for audio/visual, it could get chopy & annoying, sync'ing your media to your :apple:TV would solve the problem, but large files, i.e. 3.6Gb, may take a while to sync.

Hope that helps.

The Apple TV unit currently has a 10/100 Ethernet interface, not gigabit. Typical speeds for 802.11n connections range from 144 Mbps to 270 Mbps. A lot of different factors can affect the performance of a wireless connection and it's stability, but conceptually the wireless connection should be faster in optimal conditions.

smilinmonki666
Feb 23, 2008, 09:23 PM
The Apple TV unit currently has a 10/100 Ethernet interface, not gigabit. Typical speeds for 802.11n connections range from 144 Mbps to 270 Mbps. A lot of different factors can affect the performance of a wireless connection and it's stability, but conceptually the wireless connection should be faster in optimal conditions.

My appologies, I thought the :apple:TV had the 1Gb network interface? getting mixed up with Airport Express?!? :P & I miss read the 70Mbs, was getting mixed up with through put which is 74Mbs. They are trying to get a through put of 600Mbs (http://www.wirevolution.com/2007/09/07/how-does-80211n-get-to-600mbps/) from what I can read here?

Le Big Mac
May 20, 2008, 05:00 PM
My appologies, I thought the :apple:TV had the 1Gb network interface?

Anyone know why it doesn't? Seems to me that gigabit is most useful in media area, especially when transferred from your mac.

Cave Man
May 20, 2008, 05:15 PM
The best thing to do is to put a big ole eSATA drive on your Apple TV.

neven
May 20, 2008, 06:02 PM
I ran mine wired for a few months, then unplugged it when I was moving furniture. I keep meaning to plug it back in, but I notice zero difference, so...

dynaflash
May 20, 2008, 10:28 PM
The best thing to do is to put a big ole eSATA drive on your Apple TV.
Amen