PDA

View Full Version : Eksternal HD for Macbook (black)

iBookfan
Feb 23, 2008, 02:42 PM
Hi

Which external HD shall I choose? It would be cool if it match my BlackBook

lost eden
Feb 23, 2008, 03:20 PM
Reliability should be your primary concern when buying an external hard drive, not whether it compliments your paint scheme. I strongly recommend any Seagate drive, they are some of the most reliable drives out there & all come with 5 year warranties these days.

secretpact
Feb 23, 2008, 04:14 PM
Reliability should be your primary concern when buying an external hard drive, not whether it compliments your paint scheme. I strongly recommend any Seagate drive, they are some of the most reliable drives out there & all come with 5 year warranties these days.

I agree with Lost Eden but if you want something that matches, the Western Digital Passport black external HDs go very well with my black macbook. And you don't need to plug them into a power source because it draws directly from the USB, making it much more portable.

lost eden
Feb 23, 2008, 05:13 PM
I agree with Lost Eden but if you want something that matches, the Western Digital Passport black external HDs go very well with my black macbook. And you don't need to plug them into a power source because it draws directly from the USB, making it much more portable.
We should make the distinction between 3.5" drives (such as the Seagate Freeagent) & 2.5" drives (such as the Western Digital Passport). 2.5" drives are more portable & often don't require an external power source. However they cost more than 3.5" drives, they are slower & are not available as large. If you want a drive to sit on your desk, buy a 3.5" drive. If you want something that you can slip into your pocket & carry with you, buy a 2.5" drive.

clindner
Feb 23, 2008, 05:33 PM
If you live near a Best Buy, the WD Passports 320 GB drive is black, and it is on sale for $149 through Saturday I think....

Hard to beat that deal.

lost eden
Feb 24, 2008, 09:16 AM
If you live near a Best Buy, the WD Passports 320 GB drive is black, and it is on sale for $149 through Saturday I think....

Hard to beat that deal.
Doesn't seem like a particularily good deal to me. My usual stockist has the 500GB Seagate Freeagent for 68 (~$140).

xer0
Feb 24, 2008, 09:55 AM
I currently have two 250 gig western digital passport drives and have don't have any complaints. I have a black one that I use for media that I swap between my PC and my white MB and then a white one I use for my time machine drive. Both drives have been good too me and I use to listen to my music on my MB and then transfer work files so I can do my work on the go. The only complaint I have has nothing to physically do with the drive but with the serial number. When I tried to register one of my drives for warranty the serial number on the drive came up on the website as a 160 gig scorpio drive. It took about a month to get straighten and to prove that I wasn't typing in the serial number wrong I had to send in scans of the UPC and the serial number sticker on the actual drive.

clindner
Feb 24, 2008, 04:53 PM
Doesn't seem like a particularily good deal to me. My usual stockist has the 500GB Seagate Freeagent for 68 (~$140).

Sorry, I guess I jumped to the conclusion that the OP might want a portable hard drive. So, my recommendation was based upon the USB powered variety.

For a non portable drive that requires external power, there are plenty of 500 GB external drives for around $150...

Csmitte
Feb 24, 2008, 05:50 PM
Hi

Which external HD shall I choose? It would be cool if it match my BlackBook

Your joking right? In any event buy something that will last, I have never had a problem with the Mybook series. fairly cheap and i think they have a specific one for macs now.

e12a
Feb 24, 2008, 06:11 PM
my friend bought a mybook pro last year and it works pretty well. I'd suggest looking for one with firewire.

jbg232
Feb 24, 2008, 06:15 PM
I had a mybook and it made the most awful clicking noises. I returned it and got a seagate which is both faster and noticeably silent. It's awesome, now I would only get seagates.

danny_w
Feb 24, 2008, 06:21 PM
I bought a WD Mybook 500GB for work and it is the quietest hd I have ever seen. It also powers down automatically when the Mac goes to sleep or powers down. I have it partitioned as a clone and a TM backup device, and it has worked great so far.

lost eden
Feb 25, 2008, 05:26 AM
i think they have a specific one for macs now.
A hard drive is a hard drive. Any model that claims to be 'mac specific' is probably a marketting gimmick to make you part with more money for nothing extra.

dougnewman
Feb 26, 2008, 07:24 PM
I've been very happy with my OWC (http://www.macsales.com) drive.