Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
So, a few months ago I got a 2GB upgrade for my macbook and when it arrived, I figured I would just pull out one of the 256 chips that was in it and stick in the 2 gig. After I had done so, I tried to start it up and got nothing... wouldn't start. After a short freakout session beings as it was my new macbook, I regained my composure and retried the 2 256 chips, and they worked fine. So I finally just tried the 2GB by itself and it works wonderfully. I have tried reseating the ram chips but I cannot get the 256 to play nice with the 2 GB. Anyone know why? It isn't a huge issue to have the extra 256, but it puzzles me as to why it won't work.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
I have tried reseating the ram chips but I cannot get the 256 to play nice with the 2 GB. Anyone know why? It isn't a huge issue to have the extra 256, but it puzzles me as to why it won't work.

Looks like you have a Rev A Macbook for which the maximum memory supported is 2Gb (2x 1Gb sticks) - may be that's why it doesn't work with 1x2Gb + 1x256Mb .

lil' brudder

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 14, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I thought that 2GB was just apple's recommendation and that the macbooks actually (unofficially) support 3GB. Is that only the case in later revisions? (yes, I do have a revision A)

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I thought that 2GB was just apple's recommendation and that the macbooks actually (unofficially) support 3GB. Is that only the case in later revisions? (yes, I do have a revision A)

core duo = 2gb
core 2 duo (non-sr) = 3.3gb
core 2 duo (sr) = 8gb

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
the santa rosa core 2 duo actually limits at 4gb of memory. It looks like your macbook can only recognize 2gb of memory.

It limits at 8gb. Apple wrote 4gb because they can't sell you BTOs with 8gb yet because 4gb chips aren't on the market.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.