Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bored911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
NYC
HELP! ok, so i have a 250 gb western digital drive in my macbook. I decided to replace it to see if it was causing airport problems, so i stuck in the original 80gb drive. This was ok, but the airport problem was still there. I put the 250 back in to find that i get the ? folder. I realized that i had put in the drive upside down (i realize how bad this is), but when i replaced it, it still gives me the folder. I then booted in to the leopard install disk, to see if it was the drive was even being recognized, only to find that it wasn't being recognized at all. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME. i have a full 250 gb drive and i really need the stuff on it, and i'd rather not have to go to data recovery lengths. what do i do!!!

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Stick in the original 80Gb drive, boot into that, and get an external case for the other HD and run that as an external, would be my suggestion, then use that as backup for all the stuff you need to take off the 80GB HD.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
There's a hundred different sources, computer shops, mail order outlets -- you are looking for a 2.5" SATA - USB case, they'll be between $15 and $25. Slightly better would be a 2.5" SATA - Firewire case at $35 - $60.

MacAlly is one brand that is reliable.

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
What canadaRAM said - they are available in any computer shop - just SATA drive compatible, take the HD with you if you are not sure and check the connections

bored911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
NYC
would a place like radioshack have one (that's the closest place to my apartment)

bored911

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
NYC
ok i picked it up, but now, i have no idea what to do with it, i can't figure out where the connecters line up. I bought the maddog multimedia casing

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
You just need to look closely - the pins line up easily and then when it is housed in the case, it is very easy

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
haha my first time working on a macbook i almost put the drive upside down. it wouldnt go in all the way so i didnt force it. Another tech took a look and he said i just had it the wrong way. :D

riscy

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
China
Yes, you have to make sure it clicks in. Sorry I didn't get back to you when you posted the pic - what with different times zones, I went off to bed :)

Glad you got it sorted, and now you have two functioning drives :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.