Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
Right now I am typing on an external keyboard, but the internal keyboard on my ibook is acting strange. It will start randomly typing G or B, like someone is holding the key down. When I try to type a letter, it was typing all those letters in the vertical row, and now it engages number lock also. The thing will not go to sleep (the minute i put it to sleep, it wakes up).

Now, it's just really weird.
Here, I'll type 'My name is Greg', on the internal keyboard.
&UJM 6yhn1qaz7ujm3edc 8ik,2wsx 4rfv3edc

The letters I typed are mostly there (except the G key that doesn't work, but will start typing randomly), but with weird characters in between.

Is my keyboard done for, or should I try to reseat the cable or hard reset (how would I go about doing either?)

Thanks

P.S. I have AppleCare, so if all else fails i'll bring it to the apple store asap. The only problem is the hinge is also messed up, and I want to make sure it's at a time when I really don't need the iBook. I guess I'll bring it towards the end of this week.

UPDATE: not as random as I thought.
If I type a for instance, it will type 1, q, a, and z, If I type 2, it will type f1, 2, w, s, and x.

Heres me typing asdfghjkl;
1qaz2wsx3edc4rfv6yhn7410852963/*-+*/*-+
now the last part that's all numbers, that's because the h key engages numlock ,and the g just doesn't work. Here it is without the g or h (asdfjkl; )
1qaz4rfv7ujm8ik,9ol9ol.1qap;/
While I was typing that, the screen brightness decreased, and expose and num lock were toggled on and off a number of times.

So yeah, I'm extremely confused.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Sound like to me you have a bad KB. Also have to tried to reset your PRAM and or your PMU to see if that helps. If all else fails then a trip to the apple store... Good Luck.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
thanks, I'll google how to reset the PRAM, PMU, and whatnot. I hope to be able to get to the apple store soon otherwise. Man I haven't been having the best of luck with my usually trust ibook, have I?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.