PDA

View Full Version : Macbook start up Problems??

gibbo18
Feb 24, 2008, 11:42 AM
I have a 2.2Ghz Macbook with 2Gb ram and its running 10.5.2 (update went fine) and for some time now the start up of my mac has been very long. It sometimes take in excess of 30 minutes to turn on. It waits on the grey apple screen with the apple logo and the spinning loading sign near the bottom.

Is there anything i could try without doing any major resets or reinstalls???

Thank you

wrparis
Feb 24, 2008, 11:54 AM
directly after updating to 10.5.2 and the graphics update - my macbook would not boot past the spinning wheel.

I booted via safe mode - hold down the shift key during boot. when on the logon in screen hit back button and then click restart.

Macbook now boots normal.

Other people have had problems with usb devices being connected during boot.

You can try removing all but keyboard and mouse to see if that helps.

my Imac had a problem with my external usb drive I use for time machine.

thecartoonguy
Jul 5, 2008, 09:25 PM
I had a similar problem and I ended up deleting the contents of the cache folder. There was so much crap in there it took over 20 minutes to delete. After that, all was well. Hope this helps.

MM07
Jul 5, 2008, 09:31 PM
I had a similar problem and I ended up deleting the contents of the cache folder. There was so much crap in there it took over 20 minutes to delete. After that, all was well. Hope this helps.

How exactly did you do that?

I might need to do this as well.

thecartoonguy
Jul 27, 2009, 06:37 PM
How exactly did you do that?

I might need to do this as well.

I just realized I did not place the steps.

You would go to the Finder, select the user name, then library. There will be a folder titled Cache. Open the folder select the entire contents.

andalusia
Jul 27, 2009, 08:33 PM
Check your startup items and make sure nothing corrupt or broken is in there.
Macintosh HD>Library>Startup Items.
Also, lots of files in there could be causing a slow startup.

How about updating to 10.5.7 and seeing if that helps?

MarkCooz
Jul 27, 2009, 08:50 PM
when this problem happened to me, I was so worried that my macbook was going to fail on me... good thing i had a backup cd of leopard
and I re-installed leopard.
and everything is fine now.