Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jordygreen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
London, UK
So people have said to me to invest in one of these flash guns because I like to do gig photography and Portraits, whats so special about this flash and how come it has been recommended to me?

Thank yooooo :]

phiberglass

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2007
I would definitely get a 580EX if you have the money. For studio/portrait photography flash/lighting is very good since you need it to light different parts of subject and fill flash for background. For example flash on tripod lighting face, flash filling the background and a flash shooting through the umbrella. As for shooting at shows if you don't want to invest in a flash just get a lens with an aperture of 2.8 or lower and bump the iso up.

I'm hoping to get a flash soon, but first want to focus on either a 70-200L or 70-300 IS and then an UWA like the Canon 10-22.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So people have said to me to invest in one of these flash guns because I like to do gig photography and Portraits, whats so special about this flash and how come it has been recommended to me?

Thank yooooo :]

Some would argue that light is the most important aspect of a photo. The do first rate work you need to control the light, it's direction, softness, intensity and maybe color.

I think there are two kinds of flash photography: (1) on-camera flash and (2) Studio or "off camera" flash. They are really quite different.

If the flash is mounted to a hand held camera then you are best off with a TTL flash that is made for your camera. You can just set it to "auto" can then fire away. Why external? Because the worst kinf of flash is "direct" and that is all the pop-up flash can do. You want to use some kind of "in-direct" flash. Likely bounded off the largest thing you migh have handy (like a ceiling or wall)

Off camera flash is different. You will want some powerful, manual control lights that are easy to control and will work well on stands. Don't pay for automation that you will only turn off. But you don't want a "lighting system" of light, softboxes umbrellas and so on

Kebabselector

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2007
Birmingham, UK
how come it has been recommended to me?

Probably recommended as it's a decent dedicated Eos flash gun. However for gig photography would you be using flash? I would've thought a 1.4/1.8 50mm lens would have been preferable.

The 430 would be o.k. for portraiture, If you get the ST-E2 remote trigger then it'll give you more options with regards to positioning of the flash.

The 580 MkII mentioned is a more powerful and well built (really well built) flash gun that might be overkill for most users.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Probably recommended as it's a decent dedicated Eos flash gun. However for gig photography would you be using flash? I would've thought a 1.4/1.8 50mm lens would have been preferable.

The flash lets you put light on the subject and maybe rig the exposure so the subject is brighter than the background and stands out. Many places you do not want to capture what else is going on. But if you are trying to capture the "environment" then ambient light with a fast lens and high ISO will do it.

I wrote someplace else that once you have a mental picture of how the final image should look these kinds of questions disappear.

jordygreen

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 26, 2006
London, UK
Yea thats what I was thinking for the gig photography one, because I already have my 50mm 1.8 lens that I use for that and works alright. But for portrait do people like nearly always tend yo use flash? unless outside in already good lighting?

M@lew

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
1) Get a 580ex IF you can afford it. If not, the 430ex will serve you fine for now. If you want to trigger camera with TTL later on, you can buy a 580 in the future.

2) For cheaper off camera flash, take a look at the Cactus V2's on eBay. I have a pair and they work wonders for off camera flash.

In conclusion:

Gig photog = Fast lens, no flash.

Portrait = Natural light complemented with off camera.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.