PDA

View Full Version : School Project HELP!!!

dave1234
Oct 27, 2003, 05:17 PM
I have an assingment in my English and Creative Writing class, we are to make a persuasive speech, the topic I chose was "persuading people to switch to mac"
and my largest and best source would be this site, so any help or insight would be awsome. The speech is to be 7 minutes long roughly.

Thanks

P-Worm
Oct 27, 2003, 05:47 PM
Are you supposed to make a presentation? If so, using all of Keynote's little effects would be cool.

P-Worm

Les Kern
Oct 27, 2003, 05:47 PM
The finest site I know of. The info is first-rate and up to date.
http://macvspc.info/
My successful argument/discussion hinged on our particular needs, and Mac won hands down. So it depends... you know?

manitoubalck
Oct 27, 2003, 06:51 PM
The best way to make a convincing argument is to have something to compare the product you are trying to sell against. Since you are a school student you probably don't have the funds or the knowlege to buy 2 $3000 machines and benchmark them yourself, your best bet is to look on the net and find the results other have posted.

You will convince no one buy listing the features of the apple mac, unless you compare it to a compeditiors machine of equal value. Also most school kids use computers to game. I would strear clear of that topic because gaming on PC's is much further advanced. Good Luck:)

You've picked a good topic, but beware of glossy marketing.

Panther Blue
Oct 27, 2003, 07:47 PM
All I can tell you is that I am an expert at Persuasives, and the following is imperative:

Do not use personal pronouns.
Do not say "I think" use "it is a fact". Make it clear that you are sure of what you are talking about.
State sources for facts.

G/l!

MoparShaha
Oct 27, 2003, 08:41 PM
That's really interesting. I'm in a similar class and just gave a persuasive speech last week. I was going to do it on the same subject as well, but thought it would be difficult to cite sources ("according to Mr. Anderson....."). Well, I hope you are able to get the sources you need, and good luck!

alset
Oct 27, 2003, 08:50 PM
Try to find evidence of Mac superiority from sites that won't be read as biased parties. For example, if you can find Linux users saying that Darwin provides more stability that Win XP your case will be more effective.

Dan

Macco
Oct 27, 2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by P-Worm
Are you supposed to make a presentation? If so, using all of Keynote's little effects would be cool.

P-Worm

Yeah it would be cool, but if you're trying to honestly convince people of what you say, adding pointless distracting effects won't help you and might in fact hurt you. You should go for a relatively consistent theme throughout your slides, with enough visuals that it doesn't get boring but not so many that it is distracting.

dynamicd
Oct 27, 2003, 11:06 PM
Try searching websites like the New York Times or cnet to see if you can find some useful articles.