PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Designers: What's your set up?

southcounty949
Feb 25, 2008, 01:36 AM
I tried searching this forum for a thread like this, but no luck. I apologize ahead of time if this HAS been posted before. ;)

I'm new to the whole graphic design thing and I'm really loving it so far. I'm currently taking a course on "Beginning Graphic Design" and am just interested to see what kind of set up you all have (Keyboard, Mice, Tablet, etc.) Also curious to see what your opinions are of certain devices that are better for graphic design.

Currently, I only have a Wacom 6x8 and the CS3 suite. I'm currently using the mouse that came with the wacom but want to get a Logitech MX revolution. Could you guys also recommend a keyboard that might be better than the average for design?

All opinions are appreciated!

tominated
Feb 25, 2008, 01:57 AM
might wanna think about getting an optimus maximus keyboard if you're really really serious about it, but it's kinda overkill. As for my set up, I'm using pixelmator currently (saving up for cs3 web premium) with a 5X4 Graphire4 wacom and the wireless apple keyboard and mighty mouse.

southcounty949
Feb 25, 2008, 02:00 AM
might wanna think about getting an optimus maximus keyboard if you're really really serious about it, but it's kinda overkill. As for my set up, I'm using pixelmator currently (saving up for cs3 web premium) with a 5X4 Graphire4 wacom and the wireless apple keyboard and mighty mouse.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. How is your mighty mouse doing? My roommate just got one today. I was also going to get one, but couldn't decide if I wanted that or the Logitech MX Revolution. (I'm talking about the Wireless Laser MM).

MacRumorUser
Feb 25, 2008, 03:33 AM
I use a Logitech laser mouse, an Apple alu keyboard, a Dell 24" LCD, a Wacom Intuous 3 with various accessories (airbrush etc...) a MacPro 2.6ghz with 11GB memory, 3 x 250GB SATA HDD, 1 x 500GB SATA HDD.

Mainly Photoshop CS3, Indesign CS3, Illustrator CS3, and Corel Painter X

That's my desktop. I use a laptop if I have to do small changes away from the studio or have to go and show a client something that they wish to make small changes. For this I use a MacBook Air and I have a small Wacom Bamboo to slip into my bag too.

edesignuk
Feb 25, 2008, 03:35 AM
You're doing graphic design and opted to post using Comic Sans MS? :eek: :confused:

MacRumorUser
Feb 25, 2008, 03:43 AM
You're doing graphic design and opted to post using Comic Sans MS? :eek: :confused:

LOL!! He did say "I'm currently taking a course on "Beginning Graphic Design" so he obviously hasn't been instructed that comic sans is a no no :D

tominated
Feb 25, 2008, 04:47 AM
Hi, Thanks for your reply. How is your mighty mouse doing? My roommate just got one today. I was also going to get one, but couldn't decide if I wanted that or the Logitech MX Revolution. (I'm talking about the Wireless Laser MM).

the mighty mouse is really good, but it eats up batteries within a month or so. the alu keyboard is really nice to type on and it looks awesome

Shotglass
Feb 25, 2008, 05:04 AM
You're doing graphic design and opted to post using Comic Sans MS? :eek: :confused:I knew it! When I saw that he made a post in the design and graphics forum using Comic sans MS, I could already see him at the cross.

OP: Stay away from the Mighty Mouse. It's okay for average everyday use, but the scroll ball will clog up quickly and the overall build quality is not too good. The MX Revolution, on the other hand, is a fantastic mouse. I have one myself, and I love it to bits.

About my setup. Note that I'm not a graphic designer, but I sure like to think of myself as one ;) Seriously though, I have loads of stuff left to learn. My setup:
2.2GHz MacBook Pro | 2GB RAM | 250GB HDD
20" Dell display | MX Revolution | Alu wireless KB
Canon LiDE 600F | 250 GB LaCie
That's pretty much everything, all paid for by myself (I'm 17). Thing is, the MacBook Pro broke some time ago, so I'm currently looking into getting it replaced. Sucks to be me.

UltraNEO*
Feb 25, 2008, 06:11 AM
I probably have the most basics of setups...
Macbook Pro 1.3 loaded with CS3 design premium, a beautiful Cintiq tablet used for everything and the all essential coffee maker, plus a fibre line for sending out work - beats mailing DVD's.

LeviG
Feb 25, 2008, 07:04 AM
excluding the box itself

Software
3ds max 2008
solidworks 2008
poser 7
adobe cs3 suite
Surething CD labeller (for home printing of cd's) - works well too.

Hardware
Currently 20" wide and 17" displays (one on each computer)
MS Natural 6000 wireless mouse
MS Natural 4000 keyboard (sson to be replaced with wireless version)
3D connexion space pilot (3d controller for 3d work)
Logitech NuLooq
A5 Wide Wacom Intuos 3 Tablet + airbrush and marker pens,
Canon Pixma A4 and A3 printers - mostly for proofing and invoicing
HP n6010 doc scanner
Canon Flatbed Scanner - soon to be upgraded
Synology NAS for personal ftp server
Several external usb drives

ADSL Max (8/0.8 meg connection - fastest I can get here)
Think that covers it all

shecky
Feb 25, 2008, 09:23 AM
2 person studio:

Software

-Adobe CS3 Design premium
-After Effects CS3
-Final Cut Studio
-MS Office
-an assload of fonts
-Assorted utilities

Hardware

- 2.33ghz C2D Macbook Pro / 3GB / 160GB drive
- 20" Viewsonic (soon to be a 23" Cinema Display)
- apple pro keyboard, logitech mouse
- Mac Pro 2.8ghz Harperton "the ocho" / 2Gb (soon to be 6GB) / 320GB (soon to be 1.8TB)
- 20" cinema display + 23" cinema display
- new apple pro keyboard + wacom tablet
- 1.5 ghz Powerbook G4 / 1GB / 80GB drive
- Canon pro9000 printer
- 2 x HP 1020 laser printers
- 6 external firewire drives in various sizes
- 1TB NAS fileserver
- Epson 4990 scanner
- 2 x Canon 350D cameras
- various glass including a few primes, a macro, and a couple of moderate zooms
- Canon ZR850 camcorder
- Seagull TLR
- 4 holgas
- Super 8 camera
- bunch of assorted photographic equipment

klymr
Feb 25, 2008, 10:54 AM
I just started the graphic design classes at my school this last fall semester, so I'm no pro…yet. I am using a 17" MBP 2.4ghz C2D/4GB/160GB HDD with the 1920x1200 screen. I have a Wacom Intuos3 6x11 somewhere here in the USofA (I wish UPS would keep their tracking info updated). I'm currently using a cheap wired optical mouse from Logitech, but that should change here shortly.

As far as software, the school uses CS3 and focuses on Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign, as well as a little bit of Flash. They are just starting to teach Maya again, but that hasn't really taken off yet. I personally have CS3 Design Premium, but never use Flash or Dreamweaver.

decksnap
Feb 25, 2008, 11:00 AM
At the office:
MacPro Quad
Single button Apple Pro mouse
Apple Keyboard
Dual 20" Cinema Displays
Lacie external Drives + Xserve

At the home office:
PowerMac G5 dual
Single button Apple Pro mouse
Apple Keyboard
Single 20" Cinema Display
Lacie external Drives

I don't see the need for a Wacom (except for specialized niches) or multi-button mouse.

tothelimit
Feb 25, 2008, 11:12 AM

http://www.design-police.org/

klymr
Feb 25, 2008, 11:50 AM

That site is awesome. Thanks for the link. :D

kitki83
Feb 25, 2008, 12:03 PM
Work:

Mac Pro 2.66
Keyboard and Mouse
Adobe CS3 Design Premium
Xerox Laser Printer
A lot of paper, blue lines, stock paper, mat board, other hands on things

Home:
Mac Pro 2.66
Keyboard and mouse
Adobe CS3: the package with all the programs
Photography:60gigs
Designs:250gigs
1tb of back up and DVDs

I keep it simple, worried I will turn into my friends, get into debt trying to get your setup idealize.

Also I have about 20 books on designs, paintings, typography, manuals and other folios of samples. The most important part of my setup.

tothelimit
Feb 25, 2008, 01:52 PM
That site is awesome. Thanks for the link. :D

no problem - please pass it on ;)

chaosbunny
Feb 25, 2008, 02:20 PM
Adobe CS3 Design Standard, Maxon Cinema 4D R10
Mostly used apps: Illustrator and InDesign

24" iMac 2,8 ghz
I really don't need a Mac Pro for my type of work, additional screen space was a different story though ;)

21" Eizo FlexScan S2110W
Can't beat an Eizo when it comes to colour accuracy, had this one connected to my powerbook before getting the iMac.

15" PowerBook G4 1,67 ghz
Was my main working machine for 2,5 years, and still is used every day for on the go stuff. For me 15" is the ideal size since it's small enough to carry it every day but big enough to work comfortably. I plan to use it until there are quad core mbps with bluray and usb3, so another year or two.

Wacom A5 wide tablet
Connected to my iMac. Took a little while to get used to but now I love it. Since I almost never use a mouse now I use the Wacom mouse when I need it, but use the stylus 80% of the time.

Aluminium Keyboard
Opinions are different, I like both its style and usability.

7 years old Epson A3 printer that still does its job.

8 years old Canon scanner that still does its job too.

That were the most important things I guess.

appletastic
Feb 25, 2008, 04:46 PM
I have a mac pro 2.66 with 3GIG ram. 750GB HD. 20 inch cinema display. The wife, who works with me uses a 20inch imac 2.16 ghz. We both have a macbook air for meeting clients.

I have CS3 premium, and other bits of software.

We also have a "business" 24inch imac.. at home.. :-)

YELLOWSOUL
Feb 25, 2008, 05:58 PM
this post is nothing without pictures

bntz313
Feb 25, 2008, 07:35 PM
I use an 2.33ghz MBP 3gb ram.

-CS3 Creative Suite(A must Have I think)
-A used wacom intuos2 (purple! doesn't match but works GREAT!!)
-The wacom pen or the track pad
-Tracing paper/sketch pad
-Pencils
-a couple design books for reference
-A broken all in one HP which only scans and can only use it with my PC

tsd
Feb 26, 2008, 09:48 PM
For print work and some music recording:
1. Aluminum iMac 24" that's all maxed-out.
2. Aluminum wired keyboard (I don't like the small size of the wireless)
3. Apple wireless Mighty Mouse. I love it, and have no problems with clogged scroll wheel
4. Adobe CS3 Design Premium
5. iWork 08 and iLife 08
6. HP Photosmart All-In-One
7. GretagMacbeth/X-Rite/Pantone EyeOne (aka i1) Display Calibrator. The naming is confusing, but it works great on the new glossy displays.
8. Pantone swatch books: Solid Coated, Solid Uncoated, Color Bridge Coated
9. Elements of Color by Johannes Itten
10. Graphic Artists Guild Pricing and Ethics Guide
11. Designing Identity by Marc English
12. Various publications from Before and After Magazine
13. Canon EOS Rebel 35mm camera with 28-80mm lens

For video work and music recording/editing:
1. MacBook Pro 2.16GHz Core Duo with 100GB 7200RPM HDD, 2GB matched RAM
2. External Iomega 250GB 7200RPM Firewire 400 Hard Disk
3. Panasonic PV-GS320 MiniDV 3CCD digital video camera
4. M-Audio Oxygen 49 USB/MIDI keyboard controller
5. M-Audio FastTrack Pro USB audio interface
6. M-Audio Nova condenser Microphone
7. Various other stuff like sound absorption materials, power conditioner, mic stand, cables, guitars, etc.

emorydunn
Feb 26, 2008, 09:57 PM
I currently use an iBook G4 1.2Ghz with 768mb RAM :( with a 15" external monitor and a Wacom graphics tablet.

I do not recommend this set up, hopefully soon I will be getting a new iMac.

SwiftLives
Feb 26, 2008, 10:31 PM
For print work, I use a 24in. iMac @ 2.3ghz.

Full Adobe Creative suite.

And a Spyder3. Calibration is your friend.

mrchainsaw5757
Feb 26, 2008, 10:57 PM
Work:
Mac Pro 2.8 Ghz 4 GB Ram
CS3 Suite
Microsoft Office 08
2 20" Apple Cinema Displays
Canon Large Format 6400 24" Wide
Xerox DC240
Xerox 275
GBC Large Format Lamination

Home:
Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Santa Rosa, 2 GB Ram
22" Dell Display
Adobe CS3 Suite
Microsoft Office 08
Linotype FontExplorer X
MacFreelance
Logitech Nano
Wacom 4x5
Western Digital External Drives: 750 GB
Canon Powershot 630

Over 5000 Fonts
Over 1000 PS Brushes

digitalnicotine
Feb 26, 2008, 11:00 PM
I probably have the most basics of setups...
Macbook Pro 1.3 loaded with CS3 design premium, a beautiful Cintiq tablet used for everything and the all essential coffee maker, plus a fibre line for sending out work - beats mailing DVD's.

How do you like the Cintiq? I just got one about a month ago, and am loving it! But now that they have the smaller version, I almost wish I had gotten that instead since I rarely do print work.

dopey220
Feb 28, 2008, 12:42 PM
The computer in my sig (sitting on a Griffin Elevator stand), wireless Apple keyboard (previous model, with number pad), wireless Kensington mouse, Adobe CS3, Newcastle Brown Ale.

Also thinking about getting a Bamboo Fun tablet.

tsd
Feb 28, 2008, 06:53 PM
Newcastle Brown Ale.

Nice! I guess I'll have to add strong Earl Grey looseleaf tea, English Breakfast looseleaf with milk and honey, strong black home-roasted coffee and any good Pinot Noir to my list!

jerryrock
Feb 29, 2008, 09:12 AM
Home Office:

MacPro 2.66 with 2 TB of storage, 12 gigs RAM, ATIX1900XT video card
Apple Cinema Display 20"
Wacom Cintiq 20WSX
Epson V750 Scanner
Canon iPF5000 wide format inkjet printer
Xerox Phaser 8550DP solid ink printer
RotaTrim 24"

Canon EOS 1Ds
Canon Powershot G9
17-40 F4L
24-70 2.8 L
70-200 2.8L IS
100mm 2.8 Macro
550 EX Flash, 580 EXII Flash, MT 24 EX Macro Twin Light

Adobe Creative Suite Design Premium
Quark XPress
Apple Aperture
Canon DPP

EvanAgee
Mar 2, 2008, 01:14 PM
Here's my current setup:

http://flickr.com/photos/evanagee/2266388880/

Here's a quick pic for those less willing to click through.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2231/2266388880_63fd9b26c5.jpg

cgratti
Mar 2, 2008, 04:15 PM

Oh, the irony!

scotpole
Mar 3, 2008, 09:45 AM
I recently upgraded my system.

System Configuration:

Leopard
2.8gHz Dual Quad processors
2 Gb ram
1 terabyte HD divided into two bootable partitions.
Dual Superdrives (now probably obsolete since Blue ray is the new standard).
20" Apple Cinema Displays x 2
Wacom Intus 3 graphire 6x8 tablet
Ext 250 Gb Lacie Hd - Fwire 800
Ext 500 Gb Lacie Hd - Fwire 400

Portable: 17"MBP 2.4gHz, 2Gb Ram

Epson 4180 Scanner

Printers
HP 2840 Mf - Airport/Enet connection
Epson 3800 - USB
Epson Picturemate - the lunch box.

Must have programs:
Toast 8
CS3 Design Premium
iPhoto - My light box and photo database.
iWork

Cameras - Canon. Their newest software is usually backward compatible with previous cameras.
Most used: S3 IS - 10X optical, 4 x Digital, Image stabalization, 6 MgPx. Uses off the shelve AA batteries.

Network Airport extreme and ethernet.

I recently had a horrible time trying to send a file to the HP printer using InDesign. I was able to quickly get the job done in Pages. For quick page layout this seems like a highly functional program and the price is right.
:D

Daringescape
Mar 3, 2008, 10:26 AM
1.5 person "studio" (part time person works for me)

2.0 Ghz MBP 15"

Dual 2 ghz G5 dual 5.5GB RAM, 2 19" monitors, mighty mouse (I like it), Griffin Powermate

Canon Rebel XTi

Epson perfection 3200? scanner (hardly use it anymore)

Dual 500Mhz G4 Tower

All the usual software - CS3 suite, quark 7, Coda, Aperture, etc.

I have been doing design for about 8 years.

Saladfingersz
Mar 3, 2008, 05:10 PM
I tried searching this forum for a thread like this, but no luck. I apologize ahead of time if this HAS been posted before. ;)

I'm new to the whole graphic design thing and I'm really loving it so far. I'm currently taking a course on "Beginning Graphic Design" and am just interested to see what kind of set up you all have (Keyboard, Mice, Tablet, etc.) Also curious to see what your opinions are of certain devices that are better for graphic design.

Currently, I only have a Wacom 6x8 and the CS3 suite. I'm currently using the mouse that came with the wacom but want to get a Logitech MX revolution. Could you guys also recommend a keyboard that might be better than the average for design?

You don't plan on using your Macbook Air do you?

i3iz
Mar 4, 2008, 04:22 PM
Desktop
Mac Pro 2.66 5GB Ram 4x250GB RAID 1+0
Apple Keyboard
Logitech MX330 (Love this old Shuttle Design - extra buttons set to exposé)
20" ACD & Homemade Hood
Pantone Colorvision Spyder
HP Designjet z3100 24"
HP Designjet 120NR
Canon CLC 4000 + z7000 Colorpass RIP
Epson Perfection 3200 Photo flatbed Scanner
Nikon D70 + Lenses & Alien Bees Strobes
2x Canon XL-1 + lenses
Cuisinart Automatic Grind & Brew (one of my most important pieces of equipment)
FCS 1 & CS3

Portable
MBP 2.4ghz
2GB
160GB + 250GB NAS

I listed more than i should have, but i think it just goes to show that it doesn't really matter about KB and Mouse as long as you are comfortable. I had a work-mate before he moved on and he was very particular about his KB & Mouse.

i3iz
Mar 4, 2008, 04:24 PM
Oh, the irony!

He actually was posting in Cochin, but the MacRumors server is hosted on M$ and it defaulted to comicsans. ok, that was made up...did i get a laugh?

Hecklerdanny
Mar 26, 2008, 08:04 AM
Here's my setup:

A Cintiq 21UX
Mac Pro with 23" Cinema Display
Pretty strong Gateway PC for the "boring work stuff."

kielty93
Mar 31, 2008, 02:30 PM
i am also new and was wondering how to learn photoshop

MacsAttack
Mar 31, 2008, 03:37 PM

You can pick up a lot of info from various PodCasts, including...

Adobe Creative Suite Video Podcast (covers all Adobe products)
Photoshop Killer Tips
Understanding Adobe Photoshop
Creative Photoshop wit John Reuter

They don't cover everything, but a picture (or video in this case) is worth 1,000 words and it will get you started.

If you are also going to use InDesign then check out The InDesigner.

I haven't found a good Illustrator PodCast yet - thought the Adobe podcasts cover it from time to time. As this is the Adobe product I have years of experience with its not such a problem though. The PodCasts got me up to speed with PhotoShop and InDesign when it came time to use them in anger.

The PodCasts also point you towards some books that cover specific topics in more depth.

2Sticky
Mar 31, 2008, 04:30 PM
My set up isn't really the best for a graphic designer, or my eyes!

1.2 iBook G4, 768MB, with a painful 12" screen.

Desperately needing an iMac.

DesignerOnMac
Mar 31, 2008, 07:20 PM
I have an aluminum 24" imac extreme, with standard corded mouse and aluminum keyboard. All works great by the way. I purchased a stand for the iMac to raise it a little and it is high enough to store the keyboard underneath and adds and additional 3 USB connections. Very fast and very quiet this iMac also. Screen is awesome too.

Adobe ID CS3
Adobe Photoshop CS3
Dreamweaver CS3
Adobe IL CS3
Macromedia FreeHand MX
and more.....

Krafty
Mar 31, 2008, 08:38 PM
A lame CD MacBook cause im too poor to afford anything good.

Abraxsis
Mar 31, 2008, 09:20 PM
Im running a Macbook Pro, 22" Lacie monitor, CanoScan 8600, various external HDs, Griffin iMate, Logitech marblemouse trackball, CS3 full suite, Nikon D40, variousother photographic materials/equipment, and a new Wacom tablet is on the way.

pcypert
Mar 31, 2008, 09:45 PM
Sometimes I just use a piece of paper and some cutouts. Mostly use a macbook pro and the Adobe Suite (though I royally hate CS3 - apart from Indesign). No tablets or anything fancy for me, but I'm mostly photo based.

Paul

Mudbug
Mar 31, 2008, 10:01 PM
I've got a dual 1.8 G5 w/ CS2 suite + umpteen other programs pushing two 21" LCDs. I have roughly 1.5TB of drive space across multiple external drives +2 internal. As a file server, I have an old dual 450 G4 sawtooth doing the dirty work of automated tasks for things like keeping various web pages updated for client work and file backups, and a black MacBook for getting stuff done while sitting on the couch. Add to that an iPod touch to let me access mail + web things while out of the office at client places and random coffee houses, and I'm pretty complete.

For output (which you'll need some form of, by the way) I have a now-aging HP 2550ln networked color laser for regular sized proofs, and a crappy little HP 1220Cxi multifunction printer/copier/scanner that does all my scanning, which isn't much anymore, hence the crappy scanner. Anything that requires better equipment that I have to work with at my fingertips I use a friendly local print shop to do for me - larger proofs, nicer scans, short print runs, etc.

The G5 tower will be replaced this summer with whatever the middle-ground Mac Pro of choice is, unless I can finally convince myself to go to a true mobile format and move all my day-to-day work stuff over to a MacBook Pro. Haven't made my mind up with that - the stopping point had been not being able to use both big monitors, but I see there are various external display cards on the market now for doing that very thing. I doubt I'll sell the G5 though, instead I'll probably convert it into something my kids would like to use and put it upstairs for them with the parental controls set pretty heavy on it so they're relatively limited in their use of it.

I'd post a pic, but I'm lazy and tired - imagine a tower with 2 decently large monitors on a standard wooden desk w/ wireless stuff talking to it. Visualize whirrled peas.

GoCubsGo
Mar 31, 2008, 10:05 PM
There should be a test before you can even take a beginner level graphic design course. One question....comic sans yes or no.
It's that simple!

digitalnicotine
Apr 1, 2008, 01:21 AM
Granted, you can't teach talent or design intuition, but eliminating someone from a career field, merely because they favor a particular font is harsh. So are elitist attitudes used to tear down people who may not share in your knowledge or talents. It's actually possible for a budding graphic designer to choose the comic sans font on a message board, and at the same time, recognize it's not a wise choice for client work.

You're doing graphic design and opted to post using Comic Sans MS? :eek: :confused: This is pointing out that it's not a good idea.

LOL!! He did say "I'm currently taking a course on "Beginning Graphic Design" so he obviously hasn't been instructed that comic sans is a no no :D This is informative and compassionate.

http://www.design-police.org/ This is informative and educational.

There should be a test before you can even take a beginner level graphic design course. One question....comic sans yes or no.
It's that simple! This is elitist.

I won't be so bold as to assume that this comment was intended to make someone feel foolish, but after several already pointed out the issue, it just seems unnecessary.

Back to topic: Do any of you use the new Cintiq 12wx? Thoughts?

Artful Dodger
Apr 1, 2008, 06:18 PM

Check out CGSociety or www.cgtalk.com look under the 2D section and then ask yourself what area of PS do you want to learn. I say this because while I have no real care to manipulate photos I wouldn't mind using PS or even Painter to make my art. For me this guys work (http://einarlunden.com/) inspired me and is close to what I'd like to do in the digital realm.
Just get comfortable with any program and then have a ton of fun, just remember to undo is usually :apple:Z and no wasted paper ;)

Also remember that sometimes your work will never be done (we all are perfectionists at times) just shown/displayed/published or given to the client because they feel it's done even if you don't.

My setup, one that gets things done: iMac, 9x12 Wacom tablet, scanner, printer, my imagination…lots of music and very little sleep (optional item is my dog, she keeps me company and reminds me to take breaks).

digitalnicotine,
I've thought about getting the 12" Cintiq but since my 9x12 is paid for I'm not sure anymore even though I really want it even if it is a pretty small work area. I've read up on all the issues from cgtalk to MR to others and I really don't care if it isn't as portable as it "could be." To have a unit like that would improve my work flow or more like my drawing. I like to see what I'm drawing even though I'm not really bothered by my 9x12 I'd be faster using any Cintiq no matter what size. I almost bought one last night from Amazon but I need to sell my 9x12 to cushion the expense. If I do get one I'll post my review with my likes/dislikes and maybe a QT video as well.

UberGeek9
Apr 1, 2008, 10:21 PM
Home (this is mostly for gaming, so don't diss it for running Windows ;D):
- Windows XP Home (soon to be replaced by XP Pro 64 bit)
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 overclocked to 3GHz
- 2 gigs of A-DATA Extreme edition DDR2-800
- BFG Tech Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 512MB (G92 core)
- Western Digital Raptor X 10,000 RPM 150 gig hard drive
- Asus P53 X38 mobo
- Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Xtremegamer
- 20 inch LG LCD (can't remember exactly what model)
- Corsair 750 Watt PSU
all inside of a Cooler Master Armor full tower case

Notebook:
MacBook, just got it last week and LOVE IT!
- 2GHz C2D
- 1 gig of RAM (getting two.. or maybe four gigs soon)
- 80 gig hard drive (plan on upgrading in the future)
- Leopard (yay)

digitalnicotine
Apr 2, 2008, 12:27 AM
digitalnicotine,
I've thought about getting the 12" Cintiq but since my 9x12 is paid for I'm not sure anymore even though I really want it even if it is a pretty small work area. I've read up on all the issues from cgtalk to MR to others and I really don't care if it isn't as portable as it "could be." To have a unit like that would improve my work flow or more like my drawing. I like to see what I'm drawing even though I'm not really bothered by my 9x12 I'd be faster using any Cintiq no matter what size. I almost bought one last night from Amazon but I need to sell my 9x12 to cushion the expense. If I do get one I'll post my review with my likes/dislikes and maybe a QT video as well.

Awesome, thanks! :)

B3CK24
Apr 20, 2008, 04:17 AM
My blackbook w/ 2gb ram, cs2+cs3, office 04 + iwork 08, aperture 2, 19" dell monitor (eh..better than the gloss, right?), 1g wireless keyboard + mighty mouse.. WD 160gb external hd, then my canon xti and a hp 5180c..just a student for now, but I'm getting a MP w/ ACD + new printer asap...

melissarae
May 4, 2008, 10:05 AM

haha i actually printed those off a while back and use them at my work! that site is hilarious!

i, as a graphic artist, recently switched from PC to Mac. I now have an iMac, and awaiting delivery of CS3. On my old PC i used CS2, and at work i use CS2 on a PC with dual 20" monitors with a wacom that i hardly use.

EDITED: CS3 is now installed on the new iMac ;o)

2contagious
May 4, 2008, 11:06 AM
Computer:
- MacBook Pro (1.83 GHz, 2GB RAM)

Screen:
- 22" HP 22w Display -> worst display I've ever seen
-> therefore, I'll get a Apple Cinema Display 30" soon.

Tablet:
- Wacom Bamboo FUN-M

Mouse & Keyboard:
- Apple Wireless MightyMouse
- Apple Wirless Aluminium Keyboard

Software:
- Photoshop CS3
- Illustrator CS3
- Lightroom 1.3.1
- EasyBatchPhoto

Camera:
- Sony Alpha + 50mm/1.4, 28-75mm/2.8, 18-70/3.5-5.6, 28-85mm/3.5-4.5, 75-300mm/4.5-5.6, Fisheye converter
- Sony DSC-F717

waynesun
May 4, 2008, 05:59 PM
My setup.. a 1.6ghz PC, 19'' E19FP, a generic keyboard and mouse (because i'm still waiting for that "right time" to pull the trigger on a proper MBP :D), and an Intuos3 soon to expand the things I can do with photoshop.

But seriously, it all comes down to what you do, and how you do it. My design jobs on PC are buying me the Apple setup of my dreams (in addition to.. craigslist :D). But.. keep in mind: it's the indian, not the arrow.

mperkins37
May 4, 2008, 06:59 PM
All the stuff in my sig, +
CS3 Master Collection - For design
Final Cut Pro - For Multimedia
Painter X - Sketching & Painting
Poser 5 - 3D
Carrara 3D 6.1 Pro - 3D
Bryce 3D 6.5 - 3D
Toast 9 - DVD Backups
Office 2004 - Text Files Boring office related crap
Eye Candy Bundle Plug ins - Photoshop spice
Sound Converter - Converting sounds & Music
Visual Hub - Converting video
Parallels Desktop, & Windows XP sp2 - Converting Wondoze stuff
Lego Star wars (To keep the kid happy) Playtime
Many other freeware - shareware apps
I also use a Wacom tablet

brettjohn
May 5, 2008, 03:47 AM
17" MacBook Pro 2.33 | 2GB
30" Apple Cinema Display
CS3 Master Collection
Wacom Tablet
Canon EOS 400D (for pics)
Final Cut Pro
Coda (html + css editing)
Transmit (ftp)
wireless apple keyboard and mouse
500GB external HD
and a bunch of other apps that i cant think of at the moment...

tgildred
May 9, 2008, 09:18 AM

:D Nice. The internets will be abuzz with my forwarding of this site.

askthedust
May 9, 2008, 10:03 AM
15" macbook pro, 20 " apple monitor, cs3 Premium wireless mighty mouse, scanner, Stabil pencils, Grumbacher brushes, Sumi Tech Pens, Bienfang papers...

covisio
May 12, 2008, 06:06 AM
If my ailing memory serves me right, since 1988 I have worked full time using the following:
Mac SE
Mac IIfx
Mac Quadro 700
Quadro 900
Various beige Powermacs (8100, 8200, 8600, 7200)
Blue and white Mac G3 400
Dark blue/silver G4 500
iMac Indigo 350
Mac G5 single processor
Powerbook 15" Aluminium 1GHz G4
Currently:
Dual 2.3 G5 Power Mac, 4.5Gb RAM, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro Special Edition 256mb (£90 off eBay, a bit flaky)

rhett7660
May 13, 2008, 12:57 PM
What is in my sig along with the following:

Adobe Master Collection CS3 (pretty much all I use, have not tried FCP yet)

2 terebytes of backup storage
1.8 terebytes of server space
2 external hard drives fire wired
2 canon printers (large format and small picture S9000 and I860 old but still work really good!)
1 canon scanner
1 canon multi for faxing etc

Forgot to add.. Wacom table.

DHart
May 15, 2008, 05:40 AM
I'm a portrait photographer/studio owner. I have several workstations in the studio, all iMacs, but this is my personal desk set-up where I'm doing most of my editing. Throughout the day I am typically running Lightroom, Photoshop CS3, iViewMediaPro, Safari, Mail, Word, Excel, iTunes, and Dreamweaver, simultaneously.

Though the MacBook 2.2 GHz isn't exactly a mega powerhouse, when loaded with 4 GB of RAM, it makes a wonderful workstation brain for a very moderate price and allows computing on the sofa, in bed, or wherever with just pulling a few plugs. Versatile and surprisingly capable! When the new Mac mini is released, if it's at least as capable as the current 2.4 GHz MacBook, it will become the new brain of this workstation and the MacBook will retire to the bedroom/location.

The MacBook drives the 24" HP S-PVA display panel magnificently. The HP LP 2465 is a superb monitor for graphics, especially for $600 or so. I'm very happy with the image and color quality of this HP 24" widescreen... I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

http://www.legendportraits.com/Misc_Images/Workstation.jpg

wallaby
May 17, 2008, 01:14 AM

Haha. Excellent.

My work area (at home):
http://tinyurl.com/559zv4

Hardware:
»MacBook Pro 15" 2.2 Ghz, 4GB Ram, 128mb geforce 8600M GT
»Wacom Intuos2 6x8 Tablet (no mouse)
»Logitech MX518 mouse, 1600 dpi
»Saitek Eclipse 1 Keyboard
»Hyundai 19" LCD Monitor, resolution: 1280x1024px
»HP PSC 1315v (crappy prints, workable scanner)

Software:
»Adobe Design Suite CS3 - psd, ai, and indd mostly
»Adobe After Effects CS3
»Cinema 4D (occasionally)
»Final Cut Studio
»MS Office 08
»And, of course, Quicksilver

I really need to learn Flash this summer. Dreamweaver I kind of know, but it's just made me want to learn coding html/css better instead. I just finished my third year of design school so I'm not as blinged out with computers as some might be (I'm lucky enough to have this MBP), but I think anyone who knows design can do it well enough with the materials on hand. I prefer my sketchbook and a scanner to my computer half the time anyway.

motoxpress
May 17, 2008, 05:40 PM
I highly recommend a laptop if you are in design school. The portability is invaluable.

I won't waste your time with an equipment list. It's not much different than many here. I have a LOT of software but, some of the most useful I have in my collection were actually the cheapest: Transmit (FTP), TextWrangler (Text editor for web), CSSedit (HTML/CSS editing), VMware Fusion (For testing websites on Windogs).

One last thought...focus more on principles of design than on software. You will be an immensely better designer for it.

-mx

dblissmn
May 17, 2008, 09:09 PM
MacBook Pro. Ancient but still operational PowerMac G4, with various backup drives inside. Alu keyboard and mighty mouse. Dell 1704FPV monitor with dual inputs switchable between computer and laptop. Spyder2Pro calibrator. Laptop is primary machine.

By the way, not to hijack the thread or anything, but I am looking for a new monitor. Any brief suggestions, or simply explanations in future posts of how you chose the monitor in your current set-up? I am thinking of an Apple Cinema Display (20 or 23); or HP2465 or similar sRGB S-PVA panel. Thought of NEC 2490WUXi but it's too expensive. I am trying to balance the convenience of using the Apple displays with what I think is the greater durability of PVA panels. Concerned about text legibility and "sparkle" effect from the glare coating on the Apple displays, and concerned about the "black crush" gamma compression and the controllability of the brightness function on the HP. I considered the Dell 2408WFP but unless someone can convince me that sRGB can be easily made to work on an AdobeRGB wide-gamut monitor, I'll give it a pass.

DHart
May 17, 2008, 11:30 PM
dblissmn... I did a lot of homework and the HP LP2465 24" wide screen S-PVA came up a huge winner so I bought one. I LOVE it! Very accurate, neutral, no gradients, as little light leak as you'll find on any LCD. Great price and warranty from HP.

JesLam07
May 18, 2008, 12:12 PM
Apple MacBook Pro
2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM
250 GB HardDrive

Adobe CS3 (I mainly use Ps, Ai, and Id)
Coral Painter X
Microsoft Office 2004

Kensington PilotMouse Laser Wireless Mini

Impact 2GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
And I'm going to be getting an external hard drive very soon since I'm going to start needing it for my classes. I want to get a Wacom Tablet sometime soon too.

motoxpress
May 18, 2008, 01:21 PM
BTW I do recommend coming up with a good external storage solution as well as backup. It will come back to haunt you at the worst moment. I personally use an eSata enclosure with removable HDs. Time Machine works nice with this for backup.

-mx

motoxpress
May 18, 2008, 01:41 PM
Dhart,

Do you work with the tablet in that arrangement all the time? I have tried that but, I am using the keyboard so much that it felt a little disjointed. Just curious.

-mx

DHart
May 18, 2008, 01:43 PM
Dhart,

Do you work with the tablet in that arrangement all the time? I have tried that but, I am using the keyboard so much that it felt a little disjointed. Just curious.

-mx

Moto... I only use the tablet when image editing in Photoshop (retouching portraits). It's amazing for that and nothing is better, but for everything else I use the keyboard & mouse. BTW, I LOVE the new aluminum keyboard... it's the best!

motoxpress
May 18, 2008, 01:47 PM
Moto... I only use the tablet when image editing in Photoshop (retouching portraits). It's amazing for that, but otherwise I just use the keyboard & mouse. BTW, I LOVE the new aluminum keyboard... it's the best!

Agreed. I have one of the AL keyboards as well and I really like the feel of it.

I have not yet found a good way of incorporating the tablet into the workspace. I am contemplating getting a Cintiq to see if that would work a little better. Then I could put the Cintiq in my lap like a sketchbook and the keyboard nearby on the desk.

-mx

DHart
May 18, 2008, 02:24 PM
The touch on the new aluminum keyboard is so light and soft that older keyboards feel incredibly klunky to me now.

motoxpress
May 18, 2008, 06:17 PM
Yes, I got use to that feel from my extended laptop use and learned to enjoy it. So, when they came out with them I bought one right away.

-mx

63dot
May 18, 2008, 06:53 PM
mid-1999 - used 1996 power tower pro, 185 mhz 604e processor, 64 megs ram
2000 - ibook, 300 mhz G3, 160 megs ram
2003 - used 2000 dual-500 G4, 1 gig of RAM
2006 - 1.42 ghz G4, 1 gig of RAM

that's just the computer specs, printers were always lexmark, epson, and hp

graphics by adobe photoshop, illustrator, and pagemaker, and once in a while macromedia's somewhat like version of illustrator which i can't recall the name of way back when

_bnkr612
May 18, 2008, 07:16 PM
MacPro 2.8 w/ 4GB RAM with two 20 ACDs. –This machine is a bit much most of the time, but I plan to have it for many years.

15" PowerBook 1.5 w/ 2GB RAM –Still great for portability, adjusting/editing work on the fly and for showing work/presentations with clients.

I am a web and print designer. You can see some of my work in my sig.

Cheers.
Joseph

motoxpress
May 18, 2008, 08:00 PM
Joseph,

There is no such thing as too much power when it comes to Photoshop :)

-mx

63dot
May 19, 2008, 12:20 PM
Joseph,

There is no such thing as too much power when it comes to Photoshop :)

-mx

yeah,

if it's too big for you, joseph, i can give you my mailing address ;)

actually, i am not a graphic designer, but my wife was for a long time, but it's still nice to dabble with stuff for fun

liptonlover
May 19, 2008, 12:49 PM
I use a variety of tools, here's everything.

safari-use grab to take part of some image and mess with it in photoshop
grab-ultimate tool for grabbing an image from somewhere, I use it all the time
photoshop-for normal 2D image editing and touching up, both on the simple and advanced level. Also used sometimes to touch up 3D images.
iphoto-has some cool things you can do to images, sometimes I do that.
blender3D-awesome 3D modeling app, open source so it's free.
pixen-I used to use pixen for small images until it got updated and was all laggy and horrible and never got any bug fixes... I don't use it now, but maybe it's updated by now?
That's all I can think of... I don't have any special hardware.

dr34mr
May 19, 2008, 06:37 PM
Hardware:
Mac Pro
2.66 Ghz (2x Dual Core)
8Gb RAM
X1900XT 512Mb
250Gb + 500Gb Hard-drive
2x Eizo ColourEdge 24" Displays
Wacom Intuos 3 6" x 11"
Apple Keyboard
15" Mac Book Pro (For Traveling/Meeting With Clients/Sitting in my favorite coffee shop and working)
2.6 Ghz Dual Core
4Gb RAM
8600GT 512Mb
200Gb HDD

Software:
CS3 Design Premium
Quark XPress 7
:apple: Final Cut Studio 2
*cough*Microsoft Office for Mac 2008
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom

Misc:
Canon 20D + Canon 40D with a rage of lenses and accessories
An assortment of drawing equipment

Shotglass
May 20, 2008, 08:06 AM
Do any of you use the new 24" iMac for graphic design?
I'm playing around with a DIN A3 file in PS and the filters are taking ages to apply. Can you tell me whether 4GB of RAM would cure this to some extent? Or is it all in the graphics card?

InLikeALion
May 20, 2008, 10:52 AM
I'm playing around with a DIN A3 file in PS and the filters are taking ages to apply. Can you tell me whether 4GB of RAM would cure this to some extent? Or is it all in the graphics card?

Anyone who uses Photoshop heavily will tell you that 4gigs is the sweet spot. I am working on a 1st gen Alu iMac 24" 2.4Ghz with 4 gigs of ram at work, and it performs well, even on big files and batches.

LeviG
May 20, 2008, 11:38 AM
Also some filters will take longer than others as they're more complex.

Shotglass
May 20, 2008, 11:46 AM
Anyone who uses Photoshop heavily will tell you that 4gigs is the sweet spot. I am working on a 1st gen Alu iMac 24" 2.4Ghz with 4 gigs of ram at work, and it performs well, even on big files and batches.That's what I was thinking. Do they come with 1x2GB or 2x1GB of RAM? What's the best price on 2GB sticks?

chaosbunny
May 20, 2008, 12:40 PM

How much dpi does the file have? And how big is it in terms of mb? On my iMac I have no problems with files about 500 mb. I have 4 gbs of ram though, but even with 2 it should not be too slow.

klymr
May 20, 2008, 01:23 PM
That's what I was thinking. Do they come with 1x2GB or 2x1GB of RAM? What's the best price on 2GB sticks?

Not sure what the "best" price is on a 2GB stick, but when I bought my (2) 2GB sticks (a 4GB kit) I paid $150. I have since seen it go for about $80 with a rebate. It may be even less than that now.

If the iMac is anything like my MacBook Pro, it'll have (2) x 1GB sticks.

InLikeALion
May 20, 2008, 03:33 PM
That's what I was thinking. Do they come with 1x2GB or 2x1GB of RAM? What's the best price on 2GB sticks?

I can't remember what number of sticks they enicially come with - but as klymr said, I think its 2x1Gig. You can check for yourself by going to about this mac>more info>memory.

We paid a little under $100 for the 4Gig kit. I can't remember if we purchased from newegg.com or owc.

motoxpress
May 20, 2008, 03:40 PM
There is a Corsair 4gig kit on newegg.com right now for around $75.

-mx

AppleMojo
May 21, 2008, 07:08 PM
I'm not an artist of any type, in fact I can't draw a simple circle that looks good. But, I wanted to chime in.

I am a fresh convert to Adobe Flex development, and I picked up a Cintiq 20WSX widescreen to do interface design with.

I am also very new to Flash and Photoshop, but am getting a kick out of the power and functionality of this Cintiq. It is absolutely incredible.

If there are any Flex developers out there, this is at least worth giving a short if you want to speed up and enhance your interface design time.

I use a 24" 2.8Ghz iMac as the primary monitor and the 20WSX as the secondary display.

Tip: !!!

Inside of Eclipse (or Flex Builder), you can select the Window Menu, then New Window. This creates a new Flex / Eclipse window in which you can browse to your code. HOWEVER, unlike other IDE's which just create a second development window, this option links your two environments together. Meaning; If you have your Cintiq set to design mode, and your main display set to source mode, as you change one, the other automatically updates. Excellent, excellent system.

This means writing code on the 24" screen for real-estate, and always having the interface design mode available on the Cintiq within quick reach to make interface changes.

Hopefully that is useful to some.

oscuh
May 29, 2008, 10:03 AM
My main setup is a 24" iMac 2.4 with 3 GB of RAM

CS2 for the apps

Various FTP apps

Secondary Optiquest (Viewsonic) 20" monitor

Rather have a MacPro, but for the cost, this machine works pretty nicely. Plus it's dead sexy ;)

Blue Velvet
Jun 4, 2008, 06:40 PM
My current home setup (not ideal for work but good enough for now) is:

MBP 17", 2.33 C2D, 160gb 5400 stock drive, 3gb ram... matte. Leopard.

Open, on a stand on a wide bench, to my left and always as a secondary display for mail, itunes, iCal... directly connected to:

• A recently calibrated Dell 24" in front of me mainly for Creative Suite, Quark, Safari, Video. I have a full, wired aluminium keyboard
• An iPod dock. 80gb 5g
• A CanoScan 8800FF and a Canon 400D DSLR for imaging
• A Canon Pixma Pro9000 printer by 5m USB cable. I like Canon Fine Art Premium Matt paper and love A3+
• A Lacie 320gb Quadra connected by FW800 for different daily Retrospect backup scripts
• Two daisy-chained FW400 drives; one an archive of work and libraries, the other its backup. Seagates I put into Icy Box enclosures
• Bluetooth Sony phone

To the Airport Extreme in the cupboard to which is connected:

• a 2.2 Black MacBook 2gb RAM that I sometimes use when I'm out, in bed and in the kitchen. I keep my portfolio on it in various forms
• a 733mhz G4 1.5gb ram, Tiger. Extra SATA card with two 500gb Seagates. Run by screen-sharing. Slept and woken with WakeUp. Used for more data
• Two Airport Expresses, one in the studio with the stereo, the other in the kitchen with the iPod Hifi
• Some kind of Netgear router, 8mb ADSL
• A Samsung ML-163 A4 laser printer

Next upgrades I'd like to do are a completely clean Leopard and app install within the next 3 months on a new 7200rpm 320gb Hitachi drive in the MacBook Pro and then sell it within 18 months, replacing it with whatever the best Mac laptop I can afford at the time. Then a new display.

I do not possess a television.

dornoforpyros
Jun 4, 2008, 08:23 PM
Home: 2.33ghz 15" Macbook Pro
Work: 2.16ghz 20" white iMac

2gb of ram in both.

taylorwilsdon
Jun 4, 2008, 09:06 PM
While I'm not primarily a graphic designer, it does fall into my line of work from time to time.

I use a Macbook Pro connected to a 24" color calibrated Gateway LCD. I use a Logitech MX Revolution mouse and a Wacom Graphire tablet (mostly for photography work though).

Print to a Epson Stylus Pro 3800.

Matt Winwood
Jun 4, 2008, 11:46 PM
Work:
17in Mac Book Pro 2.2Ghz
23in ACD
Adobe Apps
Quark...Sigh
Office
A really crappy mouse

Home: (fun part)
30" ACD (Next Week)
2.8Ghz Dual Quad Core Xeon
Roket 6 Studio Monitors
iPod Touch 16g
HP Pavilion zv6000 Laptop
Adobe Design Premium
Autodesk Maya
Wacom Intous3 6x9?
Logitech 1600dpi MX518 mouse (Best GD mouse. Ever.)
Wireless Apple Keyboard
Apple Mighty Mouse (Somewhere)

As well as the most important weapon for any Graphic Designer. A ******** of Music.

ruskiwi
Jun 7, 2008, 07:36 AM
MacBook Pro with 2Gb RAM (more would be nice)
Logitech MX 900
Adobe Photoshop CS3
Adobe Flash CS3
CSS Edit
Yummy FTP
Microsoft Office 2008
Snapz Pro
VMWare Fusion with Windows XP so I can see how Explorer 6 is screwing up my sites ;)
TDK tremor speaker system to play quality calming music from iTunes while I pull my hair over some design stress! :D

Col127
Jun 10, 2008, 04:52 PM
here's my setup:

- dual monitors: 2 dell widescreen 20" lcds
- mac pro, 8-core, 2.8 ghz
- wacom intuos3 4x6
- humanscale keyboard tray (this is important for ergonomics)
- kinesis freestyle keyboard (i love this keyboard)
- adobe cs3, fcs 2

czardonic
Jun 11, 2008, 11:22 AM
MacPro 2.8 w/ 4GB RAM with two 20 ACDs. –This machine is a bit much…

I am a web and print designer. You can see some of my work in my sig.

Cheers.
Joseph

Here's the link to Joseph's site: http://josephpeart.com/

Spot on. I looked at your superb portfolio, and saw nothing that couldn't have been accomplished with, say, a G4 AGP450. Great to see some exquisite work, without all the digital over-embellishment, so prevalent these days.

Most of the work seems to have been well conceptualized, well thought out, BEFORE taking it to the computer.
So far, nobody's mentioned bond paper, Eagle pencils, Pentel sign pens, or Magic Markers as part of their mix.
I couldn't resist.
The conceptual work is most important -- always has been, always will be.

Yes, I too fell for the Mac Pro 2008 (6GB), but primarily in anticipation of doing video work.

Now, if only I can get this #*%^!! little LCD display to work with my trusty Sony CRT 22", and mammoth Wacom, I'll be in pig heaven.

RainForRent
Jun 11, 2008, 06:09 PM
My design setup:

Coffeepot
Copious amounts of x-acto blades
Scoring and folding tool
Cretacolor pencils (the BEST 6b pencils)
Epson 2400
Epson 3170
MBP 1.83

Everything else is just a nicety.

iGav
Jun 18, 2008, 10:47 AM
A somewhat more modest setup than some here.

• MacBook Pro
• Apple Cinema Display
• Apple Aluminum Keyboard (Wired)
• Apple Mouse (Wired)
• Western Digital Studio Edition II's

My software requirements have slimmed somewhat in recent times too.

• Adobe CS3 (Acrobat 9 Pro, After Effects, InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) handle the core creative work.
• Adobe Director 11 (still the best rapid prototyping tool)
• Apple Shake 4.1
• CSSEdit, TextMate, Transmit & MAMP
• Processing/Wiring and Arduino

Misc software such as Linotype FontExplorer X, Microsoft Office 2008 and Roxio Toast 9 Titanium also have a role in my workflow. LEGO's Digital Designer and Google Earth fill any playtime.

candyman
Jun 24, 2008, 03:24 PM
At home (freelance business):

DP 2.5GHz PowerMac G5
4GB Ram
ATI 9800 Radeon Mac Pro edition (256MB)
20" Dell monitor (2005 FPW)
250GB LaCie external HD
6x8" Wacom Intuos3 tablet
Adobe CS3 Premium
iWork '06
MS Office 2004
Airport

At work:

17" MacBook Pro 2.33GHz
3GB Ram
20" Apple Cinema Display (for dual monitor setup)
500GB LaCie external HD
BookEndz laptop dock
6x8" Wacom Intuos3 tablet
Adobe CS3 Premium
iWork '08
MS Office 2004

AlexisV
Jun 25, 2008, 06:44 AM
Here we go:

• 20" white iMac Core 2 2.1Ghz, 2Gb RAM
• 733Mhz Power Mac G$ with 21" Apple CRT as a scanning machine
• LaCie Porsche 80Gb and 500Gb external HDs
• Epson Perfection 4870 Photo scanner
• Xerox Phaser 7300N colour laser
• Apple Laserwriter 16/600PS BW laser

• Adobe CS 3
• QuarkXPress 7
• Linotype Font Explorer
• Office 08
• OS X Leopard

Sutekidane
Jun 25, 2008, 02:10 PM
Does anybody use an older mac for design? I'd like to hear from people using a 1ghz G4 and lower.

G5Unit
Jun 25, 2008, 02:23 PM
It's hard to get by, but I'm able:

1.8Ghz PowerMac G5
1.25gb RAM
630gb HD
X800XT 256mb Graphics Card

24inch Dell
Logitech LX710 Keyboard and Mouse

JesLam07
Jun 26, 2008, 12:09 PM
Apple MacBook Pro
2.2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM
250 GB HardDrive

Adobe CS3 (I mainly use Ps, Ai, and Id)
Coral Painter X
Microsoft Office 2004

Kensington PilotMouse Laser Wireless Mini

Impact 2GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive
And I'm going to be getting an external hard drive very soon since I'm going to start needing it for my classes. I want to get a Wacom Tablet sometime soon too.

I Finally Got My External. It's a Western Digital My Book Essential Edition 500GB. It's pretty.

I'm going to be adding Adobe After Effects to my collection soon too and possibly Final Cut.

dtk
Jun 27, 2008, 02:39 PM
MBP 15"
CS3 Design Premium

Adobe InDesign® CS3 (http://www.adobe.com/products/indesign/)
Adobe Photoshop® CS3 Extended (http://www.adobe.com/products/photoshop/photoshopextended/)
Adobe Illustrator® CS3 (http://www.adobe.com/products/illustrator/)
Adobe Flash® CS3 Professional (http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/)
Adobe Dreamweaver® CS3 (http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/)
Adobe Acrobat 9 (http://www.adobe.com/products/creativesuite/acrobatpro/)
Plus Adobe Fireworks® CS3 (http://www.adobe.com/products/fireworks/)
HP Scanner

A3 scrapbook (always handy)
Derwent Graphite Set
2.0mm-7.0mm Fineliners
Assorted mark-marking tools (chalk, crayons, pastels, pencils)

And a trashcan for **** ideas.

idyll
Jun 28, 2008, 11:57 PM
I have a 2 x 2.66GHz Mac Pro (5GB RAM, about 1.5TB space) with a 30" Apple Cinema Display as my main setup. Thinking of getting rid of it and going to 24" iMac though. This machine is too much for me.