Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
I just did two movies using Handbrake for the first time. I love the results. Much more clearer than my other program that I was using before. Anyhow, I used these settings below.

My goal here is that I want next to near DVD quality results with my video. Both files import just fine into iTunes. I am going to buy an Apple Tv so I am preparing my hard copy dvd's for the conversions.

Before I go any further I need advice to make sure I am not missing anything. What do you all think of my two files. The movie I did was "BloodSport".

Picture quality was freakin amazing on the 2nd set that I did. It is DVD or the closest I've ever seen to DVD.

Will my 2nd file import to Apple TV with no problems?

1st Set (Works with iPod 5th Gen no problem).

-Bit rate 160 Kbps
-Normal Preset
-Format MPEG-4
-2 Pass encoding
-Averate Bitrate:2500
Final size of file is: 1.72 Gig.

2nd Set (Does not work with 5th Gen iPod). This is not a problem.

-Bit rate 160 Kbps
-Apple Tv Preset
-Format: H.264
-2-Pass encoding
-Turbo first pass
-Average bitrate was 2500.
Final size of file is: 1.71 Gig.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I just did two movies using Handbrake for the first time. I love the results. Much more clearer than my other program that I was using before. Anyhow, I used these settings below.

My goal here is that I want next to near DVD quality results with my video. Both files import just fine into iTunes. I am going to buy an Apple Tv so I am preparing my hard copy dvd's for the conversions.

Before I go any further I need advice to make sure I am not missing anything. What do you all think of my two files. The movie I did was "BloodSport".

Picture quality was freakin amazing on the 2nd set that I did. It is DVD or the closest I've ever seen to DVD.

Will my 2nd file import to Apple TV with no problems?

1st Set (Works with iPod 5th Gen no problem).

-Bit rate 160 Kbps
-Normal Preset
-Format MPEG-4
-2 Pass encoding
-Averate Bitrate:2500
Final size of file is: 1.72 Gig.

2nd Set (Does not work with 5th Gen iPod). This is not a problem.

-Bit rate 160 Kbps
-Apple Tv Preset
-Format: H.264
-2-Pass encoding
-Turbo first pass
-Average bitrate was 2500.
Final size of file is: 1.71 Gig.

I find that the current version of Handbrake is all that great with Mpeg 4 in fact my test with ClonemobileDVD and Handbrake using standard MPeg 4 has Clonemobile looking much better, however HB shines with H264 and the second file will most definately go into ATV, plus you might want to retain the AC3 on your encodes, the file will be larger but you will have the surround sound

slu

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2004
Buffalo
Sounds to me like you answered your own question. Use option 2 if that looks better. It will work on an AppleTV. The only downside is that H.264 encoding will take longer than MPEG-4.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Thanks guys for the input. As long as I know it will work with Apple tv, I'm set. I don't mind the extra encode time it takes to get it done.

But I do prefer having the superior picture quality that H264 provides.

Is there anything I need to do with picture settings or just leave it as is? My results so far is that I don't need to mess with my widescreen dvd picture settings.

Unless I do tv shows, then I don't need to worry about it right?

For a long time, I was mostly using mpeg-4 but now I'm starting to realize the difference between the two codecs.

I just needed confirmation from folks that already own the Apple tv and check out what I was doing. Thanks for reading my post.

-Alex

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
yep

I had the same dilemma a while ago with my video iPod (h.264 vs mp4).

If you have a decent computer, h.264 all the way. No question.

However, if a powerbook is your only machine, the time it takes might not be worth it.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Ok cool. My computer knocks this thing out in about 2 hours 9 minutes. So I'm fine with the extra encode time.

I am going back now and redoing the last 10 dvd's I did a while back. No problem at all. Just want the best picture quality that I can get.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
I ran handbrake with the same settings + AC3 on "V for Vendetta" the other night. The results are excellent, but a hair worse then the original DVD. Much better then I had hoped for such a dark movie. The difference is really only noticeable in a direct side by side compare.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
I ran handbrake with the same settings + AC3 on "V for Vendetta" the other night. The results are excellent, but a hair worse then the original DVD. Much better then I had hoped for such a dark movie. The difference is really only noticeable in a direct side by side compare.

That's more than good enough for me. It's when you can notice how bad the picture is without comparing side by side, is what I've been struggling with.

If this is 2nd to DVD, then this is the route I want to take. Good enough since I want to later on sell off my dvd's altogether. I don't hardly watch them so it's fine with me.

One thing I failed to mention is what to do if I have a dvd that is full frame?

Almost all my dvd's are widescreen but I have one that is full frame.

Is there any settings that I need to know about? Thanks guys.

err404

macrumors 68030
Mar 4, 2007
By default you will just end up with back bars. Just like the original DVD.
Would you want it to do something different? I guess you could manually crop, but you'd lose part of the picture.

If these are older DVD's they might be interlaced. I haven't had much luck cleaning those up in HB.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
Just a thought, but with a small tweak you could have those same encode settings play on your iPhone or latest gen iPod. Here are my encode settings. - excuse the cut and paste from a different thread. It's late and i can't be bothered to retype :)

With the new Handbrake 0.9.2 i've just started to re-encode all my videos again - but hopefully this will be for the last time. Before there has always had to be some kind of compromise with res, or bitrate or 5.1 sound but now you can have it all. I started with the base iPod High Res: pre-set and modified it. My new encoding settings are:

720x anamoprhic (x being whatever it is after i've cropped for dead space)
H.264 2 pass (turbo 1st pass)
2ch AAC and untouched AC3 audio
(Stereo for computer and iPhone playback and 5.1 Dolby Digital for Apple TV)
2500 bitrate

These files work perfectly on my iPhone and look like crisp upsampled DVD's on my Apple TV. Admittedly, it works our around 1.5GB - 2.5GB per movie but i'm happy with that. I'm also anal about tagging so everything is organized perfectly and looks neat in iTunes and on AppleTV.

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
Just a thought, but with a small tweak you could have those same encode settings play on your iPhone or latest gen iPod. Here are my encode settings. - excuse the cut and paste from a different thread. It's late and i can't be bothered to retype :)

With the new Handbrake 0.9.2 i've just started to re-encode all my videos again - but hopefully this will be for the last time. Before there has always had to be some kind of compromise with res, or bitrate or 5.1 sound but now you can have it all. I started with the base iPod High Res: pre-set and modified it. My new encoding settings are:

720x anamoprhic (x being whatever it is after i've cropped for dead space)
H.264 2 pass (turbo 1st pass)
2ch AAC and untouched AC3 audio
(Stereo for computer and iPhone playback and 5.1 Dolby Digital for Apple TV)
2500 bitrate

These files work perfectly on my iPhone and look like crisp upsampled DVD's on my Apple TV. Admittedly, it works our around 1.5GB - 2.5GB per movie but i'm happy with that. I'm also anal about tagging so everything is organized perfectly and looks neat in iTunes and on AppleTV.

:)Thank you for posting this. I will give this a try here in about 45 mins. Just finishing up Kickboxer right now. I am glad to hear that I don't need to make any changes for full frame dvd's.

The gig size is no problem for me at all. I am using a 500 gig external hard drive (Seagate), so space is no issue here.

You saved me so much time and again thank you sir for sharing this information with me.

CBlakeston

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2008
no problem :)

I forgot to add that the iPod and Apple TV pre-sets use separate baseline profiles that are a little different so be sure to start with the iPod High Res setting in Handbrake and adapt that for your super all in one setting, adding 2500 bitrate, anamophic, aac+ac3, ect as i don't think doing it the other way around (modifying an AppleTV setting) will wok.

Let us know how you get on :)

Alx9876

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
NorCal
I'm starting it right now. I will post later tonight. It's going to be a late night but I will get back to this thread.

I am following your directions right now. I'm not worried since I just figured out how to use Hand Brake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.