Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Assuming these chips will also go into the Mini before it is abandomed by Apple, we should count it in.

I would love to see how it compares against 950 and current 965 (3100?).

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Assuming these chips will also go into the Mini before it is abandomed by Apple, we should count it in.

I would love to see how it compares against 950 and current 965 (3100?).

Supposedly twice as fast as the 965, so what 4 times as fast as the 950? Although that really doesn't mean a whole lot. It still isn't as fast as it needs to be. The clock rate (640Mhz) just isn't high enough. Hopefully they will give it at least 64 stream processors. Maybe then it will keep up with at least the 8400/3850.

EagerDragon

macrumors 68020
Jun 27, 2006
MA, USA
Supposedly twice as fast as the 965, so what 4 times as fast as the 950? Although that really doesn't mean a whole lot. It still isn't as fast as it needs to be. The clock rate (640Mhz) just isn't high enough. Hopefully they will give it at least 64 stream processors. Maybe then it will keep up with at least the 8400/3850.

However it does give you something to compare against even if not perfect.

I mean we are talking about systems with no dedicated video cards and no dedicated video ram. These babies compete with the CPU and other resources for Memory bandwidth.

If anyone have official numbers I would love to see them (comparing all the versions used in the MB and mini) to the new chip set.

DocSmitty

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2008
Lincoln, NE
That will definitely be nice for those products with an integrated graphics processor - MB and MBA. Thing is, the current X3100 is being held back by lack of mature drivers for it. The previous generation (x1600? I forget) outperforms the x3100 in some benchmarks because the drivers are much superior. I have not seen any new benchmarks after the "graphics update" with 10.5.2, anyone seen some? The question becomes not how is the hardware, but how is the software??

Oh - and I love on that chart the ~2x performance with a scale of 0-2 on 3dMark06 lol...

i3iz

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2005
That will definitely be nice for those products with an integrated graphics processor - MB and MBA. Thing is, the current X3100 is being held back by lack of mature drivers for it. The previous generation (x1600? I forget) outperforms the x3100 in some benchmarks because the drivers are much superior. I have not seen any new benchmarks after the "graphics update" with 10.5.2, anyone seen some? The question becomes not how is the hardware, but how is the software??

Oh - and I love on that chart the ~2x performance with a scale of 0-2 on 3dMark06 lol...

Are you comparing the GMA X3100 intel integrated graphics with the ATI x1600 discrete graphics card?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.