Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Hey guys,
Its good to finally be on my way back to the digital SLR world. I used to have a Digital Rebel and sold it about 3 years ago. So I got the D40 to get back in the swing of things. Considering its a kinda beginner SLR but certainly no slouch. Just thought I share the news. I got the basic kit for $298.99 + overnight shipping. Just couldn't wait :D

Mac Addict

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2008
Chicagoland
Nice... congrats Chad. Mine is 3 days old, it's my first dslr. My life is so dang hectic (my wedding is in 3 weeks), haven't really had the change to shoot with it.

Hoping to have time to experiment and get some great pic's on our honeymoon :) Would love to see some pics from you, post em up & share!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
I got the basic kit for $298.99 + overnight shipping.

Who's sells for that price? Seems to good to be true. Did you Google on the name of the reseller and read any reviews? If this is really an above-broad price. I'll be buyig from these guys too. Let us know what happens with your order.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Well, I'm pretty pissed off. I just got off the phone with these douchebags and it turns out that it is the "overseas" model that is in japanese or some ********. I am so heated right now. He said we have the american model for $549.99. :mad:I said cancel the order.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Well, I'm pretty pissed off. I just got off the phone with these douchebags and it turns out that it is the "overseas" model that is in japanese or some ********. I am so heated right now. He said we have the american model for $549.99. :mad:I said cancel the order.

I see that you updated your thread. I was just about to warn you about these guys. I haven't dealt with them, but reading some of the stuff on the 'net, it seems they are a typical bait'n'switch shop trying to sell off grey-market stuff.

I'm glad that you were able to cancel the order. If I were you, I'd keep a lookout on my credit card statement to see if they try and pull any funny business.

BTW, the cheapest I've seen the D40 kit was $450at Sears during Black Friday. You might want to check to see if you can haggle with them on price. I know the managers have the authority to haggle.

ft

davinche

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
Bay Area, CA
The basic kit of the D40 US model sells for $499.99 at various places like BH, Ritz, etc. I got one a few weeks ago along with the 55-200VR for $640 with shipping from BH.

bpd115

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2003
Pennsylvania
You have to be careful with online camera retailers and do your homework.

I got the D40 last week from Abes of Maine, 2 lens kit with the 55-200 VR for 580.00.

It's my first SLR after having a Nikon 8800VR and I love it.

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Bestpricecameras.com has the american kit for $279.99 or say the site says. I am calling right now. I called them earlier and they said it was all in english. If its not a refurb and its brand new in the box I might place this order. What do you guys think?

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Bestpricecameras.com has the american kit for $279.99 or say the site says. I am calling right now. I called them earlier and they said it was all in english. If its not a refurb and its brand new in the box I might place this order. What do you guys think?

I did a quick google on these guys and it sounds like more of the same.

ePinions Link

Seriously, you're better off staying with the trusted stores. At the least you won't get hassled with upselling. At the worst, you're looking at identity/credit card fraud.

ft

Chad H

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Auburn, AL
Well, I just ordered the refurb with a 1 year warranty from Adorama. I think that is a good deal. Let's hope this actually works out!:)

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

There is nothing wrong with "Grey Market" equipment. B&H photo one of the most recommended retailers around offers buyers the choice of "USA" or "gray market" cameras. You you can choose. The only difference is that Nikon USA warrants the USA models while B&H photo warrants the others. Either way after a year there is no warranty from anyone so the two become the same soon enough.

As for Japanese instructions, yes you get that, and German and Spanish and English and so on you get this with each version. The camera itself is identical.

That said those scamers would not sell you even the "gray" camera at the advertised price. Typically the direct imports only save you about 10%

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.