Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

regio67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Dallas
hello there, I have a powerbook running OS 10.1, and a recently purchased G4, running OS 10.2. I have tryed to connect from home with an FTP client (Fetch), but nothing works... can you guys tell me if there is a way to do this, sometimes I just want to work from home but just haven't been able to do it.

pease help!

and thanks a in advance!:confused:

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
We're going to need some more information. Are you behind a router/gateway/firewall?

If so, have you allowed these protocols inbound to your computer?

If not, can you access the system locally?

regio67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Dallas
I have at the office a router, my next door neighbor share with me a T1 line, what I do when I try to connect from home (it works locally, I have three macs and a pc in the same network), I input the ip address of the remote computer, but does not work... I think I have all the settings on my remote station set up to accept access via ftp, but like I said before it does not work. Hopefully this is enough info. Thanks a lot for your input tomf87!

Francisco

tomf87

macrumors 65816
Sep 10, 2003
It is quite possible that the router at your office is doing NAT.

Take a look at the IP of the machine you are trying to connect to. If it begins with 10, 172.16 through 172.31, or 192.168, then that is your problem. Those IP ranges are considered private, and anyone can use them, however, they cannot be used on the Internet.

regio67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 27, 2003
Dallas
Guess what...

You're absolutely right, my IP address at work starts with 192.168...However. as soon as I got to my office this morning, I tried to connect to my home computer and it worked! I'm so happy. Now all I need to know is how to reverse the process (lol).

Wish me luck! Once again, thanks for your time and if you think there is anything else you can contribute to enlighten this stupid brain of mine...Bring it on!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.