PDA

View Full Version : Mac May Save Apple from slowing iphone, ipod sales

MacBytes
Feb 25, 2008, 10:59 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: Apple Hardware
Link: Mac May Save Apple from slowing iphone, ipod sales (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20080225235858)
Description:: Analysts questioned weather Apple could reach its stated goal of 10 million iPhones for the year, and mounted evidence that growth was slowing in the firm's mainstay product lines on Monday. Mac Growth is going up however

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

oxide7
Feb 26, 2008, 12:17 AM
ok lets check the math....

9.4 million macs new forecast compared with 8.2 million originally estimated is a 15% jump! that is huge!

the estimate of 7.7 million iphones through september of 2008 is also huge! apple sold approximately 2 million iphones before september 30, 2007... so 7.7 million (from 9/30/07 to 9/30/08) plus 2 million = 9.7 million.... Apple has estimated selling 10 million iphones by the END of calendar 2008. the authors reduced estimates are still WAY ahead of that.

regarding the lowered ipod estimates. the author lowered the ipod VOLUME estimates for the year by only 6%. by the way, the growth in VOLUME in ipods may be slowing, but the growth in PROFITS is accelerating. would you rather sell 10 widgets at $20 profit each.... or ..... 8 widgets at $50 profit each?

this SAME exact article could have been written with the same numbers and it could have shed a POSITIVE light on apple. for some reason the author wanted to put a negative spin on very positive news for apple..... shame shame shame...:confused::apple:

Peace
Feb 26, 2008, 12:24 AM
I question how a news report that spells " whether " wrong can be reliable .

I'm referring to the original article from International Business Times.

Who knows maybe they got a number wrong along with bad spelling.

QuarterSwede
Feb 26, 2008, 12:30 AM
Mac may save Apple?

Let's get real. Apple would be doing amazing even if they would happen to not make as much as last year.

Also, even if the article is complete garbage there is no company on the face of the planet that can realistically continue to have sales growth to the end of time. I'm sick of stock holders playing the game but not realizing this.

Chef Medeski
Feb 26, 2008, 09:34 PM
Mac may save Apple?

Let's get real. Apple would be doing amazing even if they would happen to not make as much as last year.

Also, even if the article is complete garbage there is no company on the face of the planet that can realistically continue to have sales growth to the end of time. I'm sick of stock holders playing the game but not realizing this.
No I do not believe you understand our current economic ideal. You have to grow. They may have reaped amazing sums of profit last year but if it doesnt grow it doesnt count.

Yeah I know it makes tons of sense.

twoodcc
Feb 26, 2008, 09:45 PM
well i'm not worried. and i'm sure they'll release a new iPhone in June or so

hulugu
Feb 26, 2008, 10:12 PM
No I do not believe you understand our current economic ideal. You have to grow. They may have reaped amazing sums of profit last year but if it doesnt grow it doesnt count.

Yeah I know it makes tons of sense.

Apple is still growing, even iPod sales, but just not at the previous (and ultimately unsustainable) rates. Ultimately, each product will reach a saturation, at which point the company has now created a mature market. The slowing of iPod sales doesn't mean that iTunes sales will slow, but rather they should accelerate as millions of gigabytes of disk space beg to be filled.

I'm sure someone has made this point already, but I think it's worth repeating. Apple is still a growing company and anyone who bet on them just because of the iPod wasn't paying attention to the company.

MikeTheC
Feb 26, 2008, 11:01 PM
Considering the anti-Apple agenda out there, why is anyone surprised by this?

Besides, the iPhone is a Halo-effect generator for Mac sales, not the other way around.

And I agree with the previous poster who pointed out the stupidity and arrogance of shareholders.