Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dubels

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
It has almost been two years since I made the leap into the macworld. I was convinced a friend who had a ibook, which was of great quality and had the amazing tiger os. I finally bought a macbook in July of 2006 and was amazed with the laptop. I instantly became an apple fanatic, which eventually lead to my iphone purchase. It helped that I was never a windows/pc fan because of the inefficiencies with the windows os.

However, my transition into the macworld was not a smooth one. The macbook worked great until I got the random shutdown problem two month in, which lasted about a month until the firmware update came out. Soon after the random shut down problem was fixed I started to notice discoloration in my top cover. Since it was not a huge problem I never took the mb in because it was a known issue and I still had applecare. Later that month my mb started to randomly shutdown again and after two visits to the genius bar it was found that my Ram needed to be forcefully pushed into the slots to get them seated again (OEM ram never touched until then). About five months into my ownership I started to notice cracking along the edges of the top cover. I figured that since I was in the midst of finals I would wait to replace the top cover. After the six month of ownership my battery suddenly stopped working. I took it in and Applecare gave me a new battery and sent me on my way (They had not acknowledge the problem yet.)

Up to this point I was still happy with my mb and Applecare. I intended to renew my applecare for the next two years but made the fatal mistake of not knowing that I must renew my applecare during the 1st year period. School ended and I got distracted during summer. As I went to go buy applecare in August of 2007 I was told that it would not work for my mb because it was already out of its one year applecare. Just a month later my Fujitsu hard drive failed only after a little more than a month past a year of ownership. Being in college and in need of a laptop I sucked it up and replaced the hard drive with a Western Digital one.

Fast forward to Feb 2008 I finally got my top cover replaced out of warranty. I am grateful that apple decided to do this. But a little less than two weeks after having it replaced it is starting to get dirty again. I can live with the dirty top cover but now the new problem that is bothering me is my lcd. It started a few days ago where the screen would not go to full brightness. I press f2/increase brightness button until it reaches its max on the indicator but even then the screen seemed to only be at mid level brightness. I placed it side by side with my friends macbook (CD not C2D) and it was significantly dimmer. I would have to restart the computer for the brightness to be reset. Now today while my screen was auto dimming during idle use the screen started to flicker between full brightness and auto dim mode. I restarted my computer and now the flickering happens when I am normally using the computer. It is causing strain on my eyes because the screen flickers between brightness modes about every 30 seconds. Some times slightly changes but some times drastic changes. Being out of warranty I am SOL. I know many other people have had problems with their macbook's but I just wanted to share my experiences with potential buyers.

To summarize it all up I am pleased with Apple's OSs but I am greatly turned off by the quality of their hardware. Don't get me wrong I am not saying there aren't problems with Apple's OSs but this thread is just about my macbook. My friend with the ibook who got me into macs bought a macbook before me has had plenty problems with Leopard. Many of the hardware problems I have listed are also widespread problems, but the only one that Apple seems to openly acknowledges is the battery one. When I purchased a mac I was hoping to avoid Dell type problems. In some ways I did: I still have all my keys on my keyboard, my screen is still attached to my laptop, my battery hasn't blown up, and my power supply hasn't blown up YET. But for some reason I expected more. I expected reliability and efficiency but all these problems that seem to keep on coming up makes me wonder if Leopard is really worth all these hardware troubles. I was pleased with Jobs when he issued the $100 refund for early iphone adaptors when he didn't have to. But my experiences with my mb make me hesitant to purchase another apple computer. To be honest I was still very happy with my mb until this lcd problem. I was recommending apple computers to everyone that would listen but after taking a step back and looking at all the troubles others and I have had it makes me really wonder if its worth it?

heatmiser

macrumors 68020
Dec 6, 2007
I was recommending apple computers to everyone that would listen but after taking a step back and looking at all the troubles others and I have had it makes me really wonder if its worth it?

If I were in your position, my next computer would be something other than an Apple. Probably a Thinkpad. It's up to each person to decide how much they're willing to take. My two-month old MB hasn't given me any significant problems, but if it were to suddenly break down on me, I'd replace it with a more reliable machine. No sense in becoming prisoner to a brand label just because of marketing.

dubels

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 9, 2006
I understand where you are coming from but I was a long time IBM user. The reason I never had a mac before this mb was because my father works for IBM and refused to buy me one. Statements about overpriced hippie machines come to mind. I would point to the problems not with the IBM computer but the OS. I loved my thinkpads but its major problem was not hardware reliability but OS reliability. The time I spent defraging and running spyware sweeps and virus sweeps really took away from my productivity. Before I made the switch windows seemed to me to be like a beat up used old school Jaguar or Land Rover which was no good to begin with but you bought it and kept patching it and working on it more than you actually used it. Apple's tiger on the other hand seemed like the a Honda Civic modest, reliable and user friendly. The only reason I made the switch to Apple was for the OS and hype about Apple quality. I figured that going from thinkpads all my life to a mb would be easy. But it wasn't so my question is wether or not the OS is worth all this trouble.

DuRui

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
I got my Macbook last January...so I've been using it daily (work / at home) for about a month now (9 hours+ /day) ...no problems so far.
Took it on business trips as well.
But reading the stories here just scare me haha ...(I realize that the guys with no problems don't post which is fair enough) it's still interesting to read though.

Just hope this stuff won't happen to me..*keeping my fingers crossed*
I love Leopard..and I wouldn't want to use Windows again..but if the hardware is really that terrible..and really that many problems occur..hardware vs software...software I can fix..breaking LCD screens...al quaeda batteries...RAM issues..CPU issues...I can't fix.

Hm...happy for now loving the mac experience...let's hope it will stay this way :D

signaturez

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
I got my Macbook last January...so I've been using it daily (work / at home) for about a month now (9 hours+ /day) ...no problems so far.
Took it on business trips as well.
But reading the stories here just scare me haha ...(I realize that the guys with no problems don't post which is fair enough) it's still interesting to read though.

Just hope this stuff won't happen to me..*keeping my fingers crossed*
I love Leopard..and I wouldn't want to use Windows again..but if the hardware is really that terrible..and really that many problems occur..hardware vs software...software I can fix..breaking LCD screens...al quaeda batteries...RAM issues..CPU issues...I can't fix.

Hm...happy for now loving the mac experience...let's hope it will stay this way :D

I totally agree with you.... so far I havent notice any trouble on MB...
Still there are many posts and threads here stating hardware problems on MB...

Apple should be aware of it before Media make it a big headline....
that would cost multimillion dollar marketing to recover

DuRui

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007

;) As long as they spend it at our agency ...I don't mind ;) haha

joeybagadonutz

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2007

Apple’s current cash position is $18.4 billion, up 20% in a single quarter. The current "multimillion dollar marketing" is working just fine. My koolaid tastes sweeter each day. Thank you sir! May I have another?

DuRui

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
I wish to do business with Apple too, if they are serious and agressive in Southeast Asian Market... ;)

China is mine!! ;)

Well..sort of ..I wish...
Also totally off topic...where the hell did the whole expat living go..u know..the kind of expat living books were written about...
Days of Asia being playing fields for asia are over..seems like we dance to their tunes more then them to ours these days.

I mean nothing wrong with it perse..just..you know...I kinda..would like to get away with boozing and making millions of euro's all the time again ;)

signaturez

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
China is mine!! ;)

Well..sort of ..I wish...
Also totally off topic...where the hell did the whole expat living go..u know..the kind of expat living books were written about...
Days of Asia being playing fields for asia are over..seems like we dance to their tunes more then them to ours these days.

I mean nothing wrong with it perse..just..you know...I kinda..would like to get away with boozing and making millions of euro's all the time again ;)

:) bro.... not hard to discover apple's business ideology,
in many of iphone case especially, Apple only allow their own shops or legitimate and "capable" partner in selling its products.

If you wish to partner Apple for highly profitable Chinese market, make sure you're really loaded in every aspects

DuRui

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
As far as the iPhone goes I just read negotiations with chinese cell operators failed coz they didn't wanna split the profits with Apple...so no imminent release of the iPhone here..they were supposed to be out last week.

We can get them unlocked with warranty from the local stores though...like 400 euro's or so.
Or you know....one could always go with the copied one's haha.
Personally I'm sticking with my Samsung 828 for a while longer..still works fine and it looks good on any meeting table :D

signaturez

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
the average GDP and disposable income in Mainland China has increased dramatically.

The aggressive ad campaign by Apple during Beijing Olympic 2008 is a right move and I sure they have studied carefully of the local consumer behavior

With China Mobile, even not for iPhone 1.0, I believe Mr. Jobs will still try hard on iPhone 2.0 ;)

Soon we will see Apple penetrating the high and middle class in China.

Bro, you gotta be hurry ;)

DuRui

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
Haha s.jobs@apple.com is it?? ;)
China Mobile ...still owe them money haha...damn over seas calls.

Anyway OP totally sorry for jacking the topic. :eek: thanks for sharing though! And taking the time to share your experiences with Apple with us.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.