PDA

View Full Version : Next update for Mac Minis?




JellyFish
Feb 26, 2008, 07:56 AM
I'm interested in getting one...any guesses on when the next update will be?



dbam987
Feb 26, 2008, 08:10 AM
Its looking like Mini's will get a boost in the summer, or even as late as the fall season which is when they had their last update. I don't think Apple will abandon the Mini. They do sell pretty well, at least on Ebay.

JellyFish
Feb 26, 2008, 08:32 AM
Thank you for that information. I guess I will hold off because I want one with 802.11N and not G. I wish they'd update them sooner though. Oh well, I can get by with my apple TV for a while longer.

dbam987
Feb 26, 2008, 08:58 AM
I found the following article on a company that is offering a wireless module for Mac Mini's that will upgrade it to the 802.11N specification: http://www.macnn.com/articles/07/03/26/80211n.for.mac.minis/

If you get the Mini now, and get your hands on one of those modules you could replace the G wireless with it, and while you peeking under the hood of the Mini you could upgrade the memory as well up to 2 GB (or 3 GB, but you'd lose dual-channel support).

Edit: Ouch, the price on the 802.11N wireless module goes for a whopping $180... might need to look elsewhere for a different vendor.

coolbreeze
Feb 26, 2008, 12:02 PM
I just ordered the 1.83 C2D refurb for $499 from the Apple Store. Seemed like a great deal. Not too worried about a refresh. Especially at $499.

dbam987
Feb 26, 2008, 12:48 PM
Sometimes I seriously question Apple's pricing patterns. On the refurb page, the Mac Mini 1.66 GHz CD goes for about $150 more than the Mac Mini 1.83 GHz C2D. And the 1.66 GHz model has less memory also.

elcid
Feb 26, 2008, 01:00 PM
I would snatch up a 2.0 SR chipset in a heartbeat. The processor isnt the problem with these systems, its the ram.

bplein
Feb 26, 2008, 07:32 PM
Sometimes I seriously question Apple's pricing patterns. On the refurb page, the Mac Mini 1.66 GHz CD goes for about $150 more than the Mac Mini 1.83 GHz C2D. And the 1.66 GHz model has less memory also.

Often that's a superdrive on the 1.66 that's driving up the total cost.

macenforcer
Feb 26, 2008, 07:53 PM
Thank you for that information. I guess I will hold off because I want one with 802.11N and not G. I wish they'd update them sooner though. Oh well, I can get by with my apple TV for a while longer.

You do realize that the mac min can accept the mac pro wifi n card right? I should know, I put one in mine and it works perfectly. Only problem is it uses 2 antennas and the mini only has one so it runs at half speed of n whichis still like 5 times faster than G.

macenforcer
Feb 26, 2008, 07:54 PM
I would snatch up a 2.0 SR chipset in a heartbeat. The processor isnt the problem with these systems, its the ram.

BINGO!. I have a core 2 duo 2.33ghz in mine but the ram limitation is the only thing making me want a SR mini.

GekkePrutser
Feb 27, 2008, 04:09 AM
I'll buy one straight off when the SR mini every comes out. I can really use the X3100 (I play World of Warcraft, which is playable but slightly slow on the GMA950, the X3100 would be much better).

I could also really use the memory with vmware. And my old mini will become my server. Perfect! Well, except the SR mini isn't here yet. I'm starting to get a little worried that they might get cancelled like the rumours are saying.

I don't expect it to be updated until the iMac is though, they seem to go together on those lately.

gkarris
Feb 27, 2008, 10:46 AM
So what's going on?

Is Intel even still providing Apple with processors? Is Intel using Apple to dump all the old processors for use in the Mini?

Isn't something going on as Apple had to put the new processor in the MacBook since Intel won't have any more of the older processors?

err404
Feb 27, 2008, 11:43 AM
So what's going on?

Is Intel even still providing Apple with processors? Is Intel using Apple to dump all the old processors for use in the Mini?

Isn't something going on as Apple had to put the new processor in the MacBook since Intel won't have any more of the older processors?

Thats a VERY good point. My bet is that they have an SR model ready and waiting while they will use the Mini to dump the remaining inventory of 65nm processors.

gkarris
Feb 27, 2008, 12:40 PM
Thats a VERY good point. My bet is that they have an SR model ready and waiting while they will use the Mini to dump the remaining inventory of 65nm processors.

Another one of those wake up Tuesday morning to find them in the Apple Store updates...

Probably 2.0 and 2.2 Penryn with X3100, 802.11n

The Superdrive model will get 2 Gigs also...

No remote.... :eek: