Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lord Blackadder

macrumors P6
Original poster
May 7, 2004
Sod off
Hi all,

I'm totally new to Adobe Illustrator but I'm using the program to produce illustrations with for my archaeology thesis work. So far things have been going well, I'm mainly producing greyscale line drawings of soil profiles. I take a pencil scale elevation drawing, scan it and trace the lines in Illustrator, adding text, titles, a scale bar etc. Simple.

My biggest problem is filling certain areas with cross-hatching or dot patterns. I figured out the live paint group feature but I don't have any cross hatch or dot pattern swatches. I tried to make some swatches by drawing patterns and dragging them to the swatches palette, but they look pretty awful.

How can I make or get some good, simple cross hatch/dot swatches to use as fill? Thanks guys.

IgnatiusTheKing

macrumors 68040
Nov 17, 2007
Texas
Hi all,

I'm totally new to Adobe Illustrator but I'm using the program to produce illustrations with for my archaeology thesis work. So far things have been going well, I'm mainly producing greyscale line drawings of soil profiles. I take a pencil scale elevation drawing, scan it and trace the lines in Illustrator, adding text, titles, a scale bar etc. Simple.

My biggest problem is filling certain areas with cross-hatching or dot patterns. I figured out the live paint group feature but I don't have any cross hatch or dot pattern swatches. I tried to make some swatches by drawing patterns and dragging them to the swatches palette, but they look pretty awful.

How can I make or get some good, simple cross hatch/dot swatches to use as fill? Thanks guys.

Here are some dots and here is the Google search I used to find it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.