Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
As the title asks, how bad does screen flicker get on early macbooks? I started experiencing some flicker about 4- 6 weeks ago, it was intermittent and not too bad, but I'm noticing a gradual worsening of the problem. It used to be that the screen would just flicker between light and dim, but now I'll occasionally get a full-screen black flash before the screen goes back to normal. ... the problem is definitely worse when I'm running on battery. So is this going to continue to get worse in your experience or is it a problem that levels out at some point?

Thanks!

AlexanderTgreat

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2008
Winnipeg canada
As the title asks, how bad does screen flicker get on early macbooks? I started experiencing some flicker about 4- 6 weeks ago, it was intermittent and not too bad, but I'm noticing a gradual worsening of the problem. It used to be that the screen would just flicker between light and dim, but now I'll occasionally get a full-screen black flash before the screen goes back to normal. ... the problem is definitely worse when I'm running on battery. So is this going to continue to get worse in your experience or is it a problem that levels out at some point?

Thanks!

It's very very common both of my macbooks have had the issue

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I do have applecare. If it's going to get worse, I guess I might as well call apple now rather than wait until I can't take it anymore. sigh... it is a common problem, especially for 1st gen 'books like mine. I've already had the screen replaced once on this one because of a cluster of dead pixels. This will now be the fourth or fifth time I will have to send it in... I may ask for a replacement... :mad:

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
Try and take a video of it happening so that you can show it to apple if need be. Mine we a bit crazy last night and I managed to get it recorded.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Try and take a video of it happening so that you can show it to apple if need be. Mine we a bit crazy last night and I managed to get it recorded.

Wow! That's worse than 'flicker' that's like strobing. Mine just gets light then dim for a bit. Good idea all the same.

I may wait a bit before contacting apple though. The last day or so it hasn't been that bad. If it gets worse, then I will 'politely but firmly' ask apple to replace the computer. I might as well wait till I have 'incontrovertible evidence.

dethl

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2002
Austin, TX
I highly doubt the entire computer will get replaced but you'll probably get a new LCD and/or backlight to fix the problem.

chewbacca390

macrumors member
Jan 19, 2008
My screen was having trouble too, but my friend was able to connect it to a TV and I could see all my stuff.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I highly doubt the entire computer will get replaced but you'll probably get a new LCD and/or backlight to fix the problem.

This will be the fourth or fifth time to send the same computer in within 12 months. One of those times I had the LCD replaced! A computer with that many problems is a computer that doesn't do what it's supposed to, IMO... Hence: replacement.

Unbelievably, I was taking a look at a friend's macbook over the weekend - a C2D 2.0, about a year old - with the same flickering problem. Something isn't right about this line of computers.

TsuaSai

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2006
TX
So I was wondering if anyone has had any luck getting this fixed. My Macbook has a screen crack on the left palm where it closes and the screen flicker. Both things drive me crazy. I don't want to waste time if I send it in and nothing gets fixed. So just wondering what to expect.

The nearest Apple store is over two hours away and not an option for me right now as I am pregnant an due any time now.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA

Man that really stinks. I wouldn't tolerate that at all. Time for a repair for sure. Great video showing this issue. Another reason IM getting Apple Care for sure. :eek:

jrdunford

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2008
Same problem!

I have been experiencing the same problem as well. It's been happening over the past year, but only recently has gotten worse and worse. It happens about 20 seconds before my MacBook goes into idle mode and the screen turns black. Any solutions or help to this problem would be greatly appreciated.

asme

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008

Thanks!

My Macbook's in for flickering right now along with a host of other issues. This would be my fourth repair in 12 months. Could've asked for a replacement machine, but the so-called Genius didn't believe I had any issues and said it'd get sent in for "diagnostic."

Lesson learned?
Never go to an Apple Store if you have a problem, instead call them up on the phone and ask for a replacement machine. While the Apple Store would have to pull the replacement out of their stock, the Applecare call center has a bunch of replacements just waiting to get sent out.

Also, does your Macbook constantly flicker a little or is it just intermittent bouts of strobe-light flickering? What mine does is both: It always flickers a little and hence my eyes hurt like heck after 30 minutes, and then after the machine gets hot it goes strobe-light on me.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
Me2

I also just got the flickering. At this point it only happens when it's running on battery and when set to the lowest or brightest backlight setting.

Has anyone gotten this repaired yet? And does it get progressively worse?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.