Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Just 11 days ago I purchased my Macbook 2.2 Ghz for $1299 at a local military exchange.

I am still trying to figure if I want to take it back and get a refund (no re-stocking fee).

I need your honest opinions.

Sure, the new Macbook has the new processor, bigger hard drive and more memory, but will I really see a big difference? I have already upgraded the memory in my current Macbook to 2GB. Hard drive space is not really an issue right now.

I mostly do internet, e-mail and word processing but I do dabble in some video encoding and burning. Even some hi-def video capture is on the horizon but not too much since most of that is done on my iMac.

Is the new processor really that much better? Is it enough to warrant the upgrade. It runs cooler and faster but is the speed increase worth the trouble.

I have spent the last 11 days really enjoying my new Macbook. I have it setup just the way I like it. Would it be worth the time to do it all again with the new Macbook? I would hate to lose out on an upgrade especially since it won't cost me anything. On the other hand, I really like the Macbook I have.

Decisions...Decisions...

chriscl

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2008
Stuttgart, Germany
As I see it, the "new" versions are a slight processor upgrade, and few other small bits. I think, if we're honest, this isn't a "major" upgrade, that will come with the *next* revision, maybe at next year's Macworld (?) when maybe we'd see a case redesign?

I'd say enjoy the MBP you have - I'm sure it will be more than capable for all your needs; I too have a 2.2 Santa Rosa MBP, and for my needs (Digital Photography mainly with Lightroom and Photoshop) in addition to the usual web browsing and 'office' apps I just could not - at present - see any need to 'upgrade'?

Azmordean

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
Silicon Valley
Honestly I'd swap it out. The extra memory you bought can probably be installed in the new one with no problems. And while Penryn isn't a huge upgrade, its an upgrade nonetheless, and its not often you get a free upgrade. Sure, it'll take some time to "personalize" the new machine, but in my mind, it'd be well worth it.

Sure, the performance gains may not be earth shattering, but the fact it runs cooler and likely has better battery life is reason enough for the swap in my mind.

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
If I do decide to return it, what is the best way to wipe everything that I have done? Re-install Leopard?

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 26, 2008
Thanks for the help everyone. I returned my Macbook this evening and got the full amount back with no re-stocking fee. I am now waiting for the 2.4 GHz Penryn version from Amazon. Should be here on Friday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.