PDA

View Full Version : IS Aftermarket Ram worth it?

Slayerboym88
Feb 26, 2008, 02:41 PM
Hey, I'm ready to buy a new 'BlackBook' but am wondering if I should bite the bullet and pay Apple's rediculous mark up for the 4GB RAM or if I should void/forego the Apple Care and buy from Newegg/Kingston?

For that matter, will the Apple Care still cover the rest of the computer (read Battery) even if I get the new ram?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

squeeks
Feb 26, 2008, 02:43 PM
right forum, buy after market ram DO NOT pay apple $400 dollars for it

i wouldnt buy kingston though id go for this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227247
its what im using and it works wonderfully

DocSmitty
It doesn't void your warranty unless you damage the computer while installing it. If the RAM is causing problems that also is not covered, but you can just put in the original Apple RAM and be fine.

Up to you, some people are not at all comfortable doing upgrades themselves and will pay the $300 premium to have Apple do it for them.

PlaceofDis
3rd party ram is definitely worth it.

it will not void your warranty at all. (unless its a ram issue obviously)
and they're cheaper than the crazy price that apple charges.

go with datamemorysystems or crucial, etc. and get a lifetime warranty on the ram and you'll be good to go. (at least i prefer getting the lifetime warranty, just incase something does go wrong down the line)

ajx22
Feb 26, 2008, 02:44 PM
Hey, I'm ready to buy a new 'BlackBook' but am wondering if I should bite the bullet and pay Apple's rediculous mark up for the 4GB RAM or if I should void/forego the Apple Care and buy from Newegg/Kingston?

For that matter, will the Apple Care still cover the rest of the computer (read Battery) even if I get the new ram?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong forum)

Buying RAM from Apple is outright stupid...unless you like wasting $$.

Get the AppleCare - forget the RAM - and buy it from a 3rd party like Newegg or OWC.

YES - you're still 100% covered with 3rd party RAM.

dothevampire
Feb 26, 2008, 02:47 PM
So where is the best place to purchase after market ram? I've heard wonderful things about crucial, but is there any other place you guys can recommend?!

Research time here we come!

Thanks gents!!!

squeeks
Feb 26, 2008, 02:48 PM
So where is the best place to purchase after market ram? I've heard wonderful things about crucial, but is there any other place you guys can recommend?!

Thanks gents!!!

i gave you my recommendation, look up

CanadaRAM
Feb 26, 2008, 02:54 PM
Welcome to MR

You'll find answers to many commonly asked questions under the Guides tab at the top of this window.

MR Guide to Buying RAM (http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_RAM)

toneloco2881
Applecare can be purchased anytime within the first year of ownership. Unless you don't think you'll have the money later on, I see no reason to purchase something now that I can't even possibly benefit from for at least a year.

jemeinc
just to be clear for anyone who's planning on buying after market Ram for their Macbook it looks like the way Apple has the new Macbooks configured if you wanted to max it out at 4 GB you would have to buy two 2GB sticks and basically use none of the 2GB that it comes with?.. Is that correct?

From what I've read in the MR guide to buying ram the macbooks require matching sticks- if so it seems a shame to not even be able to use the 2GB's it comes installed with- though let's be honest, 2 GB's of Ram aint too shabby.. I remember the days when Ram wasn't so cheap and 512MB was normal... seems crazy now though

someone correct me if i'm wrong, or if there are alternate methods to go about this- this will be my first intel Mac

Slayerboym88
Feb 26, 2008, 02:55 PM
Thanks to all! After talking with one of Apple's "geniuses" I was starting to get worried about the whole thing, so I feel better. Good to know I can still nag them for fixing the damn thing should I ever have a problem. Then I take it if they figure out that it's a ram problem I can just take the new ram out and put in the original Apple ram?

Thanks again for all of your help. I'll probably go with Newegg's Mushkin, since that seems to be the better deal, and the Newegg responders have all been giving it 5s with only a few fours and none less than that.

dothevampire
Feb 26, 2008, 02:56 PM
i gave you my recommendation, look up

Welcome to MR

You'll find answers to many commonly asked questions under the Guides tab at the top of this window.

MR Guide to Buying RAM (http://guides.macrumors.com/Buying_RAM)

thank you both for your wisdom and quick responses!

MacDann
Feb 26, 2008, 03:00 PM

Thanks gents!!!

OWC, also known as "Other World Computing." Long time Mac 3rd party reseller, best prices, lifetime guarantee.

MacDann

anirban
Feb 26, 2008, 03:09 PM
Oh yeah, as others mentioned, Aftermarket RAM is the only RAM thats worth the money! Apple charges outrageously high prices for its RAM, which also happens to be the same "aftermarket" RAM that you will probably end up purchasing.

Also, my suggestion would be to keep the Apple stock RAM around... in the event that you need to send you machine in for service, you should swap the new RAM with the stock ones. Seeing aftermarket RAM in the computer may upset the folks at Apple.

Slayerboym88
Feb 26, 2008, 03:55 PM
Oh yeah, as others mentioned, Aftermarket RAM is the only RAM thats worth the money! Apple charges outrageously high prices for its RAM, which also happens to be the same "aftermarket" RAM that you will probably end up purchasing.

Also, my suggestion would be to keep the Apple stock RAM around... in the event that you need to send you machine in for service, you should swap the new RAM with the stock ones. Seeing aftermarket RAM in the computer may upset the folks at Apple.

Good idea, didn't even consider that. That way, they never have to know that I even bothered with after market!

Cyroceon
Feb 26, 2008, 04:18 PM
This thread's title should be "Apple Ram, Worth It?" because the reality is, the debate is on the aftermarket side not Apple's side. Apple ram is nothing special, they use some other company.

brandnb
Feb 27, 2008, 01:25 AM
Stick with Kingston, Corsair, or PNY. Stay away from Kbyte, unless you dont mind crappy memory. And yes for haha's i went to the apple site and saw that they charge an extra 400 dollars for and extra gig of ram (going from 1 gig to 2). I honestly laughed out loud for about 10 min. PNY goes for 30 bucks on sale for a gig. And installation is obviously free if you know what your doing. If you dont than its 40 at best buy. so for me 30 dollars is alot better then 400. ALOT better.

philos
Feb 27, 2008, 03:17 AM
Check this RAM out.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231154

G.Skill is a very respectable manufactuer. I've bought a lot of their memory for OC'ing with my own comp. builds. Plus it's CAS 4 latency, which is excellent for a 2x2GB set.

angrygolfer
Feb 27, 2008, 05:53 AM
I purchased this
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211200

It is mint. GREAT DEAL!

Bobioden
Feb 27, 2008, 10:54 AM
I went with the Crucial Ram. Brand name and under $100 for 2 sticks if 2gb.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148087

drew0020
Feb 27, 2008, 12:43 PM
Get the Crucial RAM. Much cheaper and very easy to install. Good luck!

mrwizardno2
Feb 27, 2008, 12:47 PM
... Seeing aftermarket RAM in the computer may upset the folks at Apple.

You've got to be sh*tting me! If Apple had a problem with upgrading your own ram, why would they even make it possible to do so?

I'm not arguing with you, I just think it's a ludicrous though to think they would have a problem with it when the machine is designed with this usage in mind.

brandnb
Feb 28, 2008, 12:02 AM
You've got to be sh*tting me! If Apple had a problem with upgrading your own ram, why would they even make it possible to do so?

I'm not arguing with you, I just think it's a ludicrous though to think they would have a problem with it when the machine is designed with this usage in mind.

why would apple be upset? Unfourtently we dont have the money Steve jobs has. But we have the extra money to shell out for a mac over any other laptop (sony in my case). Buy yea, they have no reason to whats so ever. Not arguing just throwing my two apples in.

Macnificant
Feb 28, 2008, 07:53 AM
Is this quality RAM? Just want to check before I buy

Thank you

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134605

ArchiMark
Feb 28, 2008, 08:31 AM
OWC, also known as "Other World Computing." Long time Mac 3rd party reseller, best prices, lifetime guarantee.

MacDann

I'll second that suggestion, MacDann.....got my RAM from them too about a year ago and has worked fine.....

Also, as for AppleCare, as others said you can get it within your first year...I got it for my MB 2 days before my one year MB purchase date anniversary...cut it close, but that's OK.... ;)

nickXedge
Feb 28, 2008, 11:14 AM
As other people have said, I'll add myself to the list of people recommending OWC RAM from Macsales.com

The price is right, the reputation and lifetime guarantee are incredible.

Cybergypsy
Feb 28, 2008, 11:15 AM
Never buy Apple ram...yes its worth it :)

MacDaddy08
Feb 28, 2008, 12:43 PM
Replacing RAM and the hard drive in a Macbook is considered "user upgradeable," therefor your warranty will be fine still unless you tear it up by replacing it.
The best places I have found to go for RAM is crucial (http://www.crucial.com) and macsales (http://www.macsales.com).

If all else fails, you can always find good RAM for good prices on eBay (http://www.ebay.com).

Just make sure you know what you are buying before you buy it. Different speeds are compatible with different computers. Your RAM is more than likely PC5300S DDR2 SDRAM @ 667MHz. Macsales and crucial will tell you what is compatible, on eBay, you have to know your stuff or else it's going to do you no good.

kamm
Feb 28, 2008, 01:06 PM
http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=A4360011&nav=1

I got it for $28.xx last week, now rebate went down from $20 to $15 per stick but it's still a very good deal: (2x$48.99 + ~$6 shipping) - 2x$15MIR = ~$75 for 4GB DDR2-667 laptop memory. :cool:

krye
Feb 28, 2008, 01:39 PM
The right question is "Is buying RAM from Apple worth it?" The answer is: NO! They mark their RAM up by 4. Seriously. 3rd party RAM is officially certified to work. I have a 1st gen MacBook. I bought new memory from OWC. The 1G memory sticks I got from OWC are the same exact manufacturer as the 512M chips I pulled out of my MacBook. And they were a quarter of the price that Apple was charging.