PDA

View Full Version : Gaming on macs in general

OSUbuckeyefan
Apr 30, 2002, 08:43 PM
Hi macgamers,

Well, I have been waiting forever to buy a mac. They seem to be a great computer - powerful with great style.

The main thing I plan to use my mac for is games. Yes, I know, there are more games for PC's. But it seems that most of the really good games eventually make it to the mac, so I am not concerned that there will be a shortage of great titles to choose from.

My concern is this: on another forum someone said that apple drivers for nVidia video cards are no good. He said that one will only get "half of the eyecandy" in games because of this. His statements have really been bothering me, because I just can't bear the thought of buying one of those totally fugly and nasty PC's. On the other hand, want to be able to get the most out of games, because like I mentioned, that is what my future computer is slated for.

Is this person talking out of his *ss? Is it true that apple's support for the video cards in their own machines could really be that bad? It just doesn't make sense. Please tell me that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

Seriously, though - any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeff

Catfish_Man
Apr 30, 2002, 08:58 PM
...the nVidia drivers have never been a problem, although ATI is famous for having really crappy drivers (and unsupported things, like my G3 233's graphics hardware). OpenGL is a bit behind DirectX, but not enough that you're going to be missing anything (TruForm works, pixel shaders work, vertex shaders work, as far as I know all the fancy antialiasing works).

btw, when are you getting this mac? The current G4 towers are (as far as I can tell) end of life products. Almost every technology in them is due for replacement. I don't know if MWNY is going to fix this, but it seems very likely that at least some of it is going to be fixed there. Of course, if you're getting an iMac2, go for it. They're brand new, so they aren't going to be getting any major updates for a bit (it's not a fabulous gaming machine though).

OSUbuckeyefan
Apr 30, 2002, 09:01 PM
Thank you for the reply, Catfish_Man.

I have been holding out for the G5. I am hoping they roll it out in July.

I can't wait!! I have never owned a computer, so it's gonna be especially sweet! :)

Mr. Anderson
Apr 30, 2002, 09:08 PM
I don't know if I should be happy or sad that you want to buy a Mac for games. What games are you looking at in particular? Quite a few are now doing the online arena thing, but there are also a bunch of games that you'd just play against the computer.

I've noticed that there are quite a few individuals on these boards that do all their work on the Mac (well most of it) and have another computer, a PC, for their games. Dropping all that money on a new Mac is a little much for just a bigger/faster/cooler Nintendo in my opinion.

jelloshotsrule
Apr 30, 2002, 09:13 PM
well remember duke, he'd be doing everything on the mac...

if he were keeping another pc and then getting the mac just for gaming, then that'd be questionable... but he wants to get a mac for his first computer, and it just so happens he'll mainly use it for gaming. at least as far as i understand...

on the otherhand, osu, if ALL you will use it for is games (ie, not even email, browsing, word processing, etc) then you're better off with something else probably...

OSUbuckeyefan
Apr 30, 2002, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by dukestreet
What games are you looking at in particular?...
...Dropping all that money on a new Mac is a little much for just a bigger/faster/cooler Nintendo in my opinion.

The game I have been waiting for with the most anticipation is Neverwitner nights. I am also eagerly awaiting Halo.

True that macs are a little more expensive, but I think they are worth it. I love the apple displays too - especially the new 23 incher!

OSUbuckeyefan
Apr 30, 2002, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
well remember duke, he'd be doing everything on the mac...

if he were keeping another pc and then getting the mac just for gaming, then that'd be questionable... but he wants to get a mac for his first computer, and it just so happens he'll mainly use it for gaming. at least as far as i understand...

on the otherhand, osu, if ALL you will use it for is games (ie, not even email, browsing, word processing, etc) then you're better off with something else probably...

You are right that I would be using it for games plus everything else :)

jelloshotsrule
Apr 30, 2002, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by OSUbuckeyefan
The game I have been waiting for with the most anticipation is Neverwitner nights. I am also eagerly awaiting Halo.

True that macs are a little more expensive, but I think they are worth it. I love the apple displays too - especially the new 23 incher!

well if you are getting a 23 incher (which i'm figuring you're not) then you won't mind the bit more the macs cost i guess! ha.

halo is great on xbox, let's hope it makes it to mac...

neverwinter nights also looks promising....

i'd say buy after mwny unless they do NOTHING there... i think they will do something radical enough to make it worth buying after....

OSUbuckeyefan
Apr 30, 2002, 09:25 PM
sounds like good advice - thanks!

Mr. Anderson
Apr 30, 2002, 09:25 PM

You are right that I would be using it for games plus everything else :)

Well, that's not as bad, and btw, I'm waiting for Halo myself. If MS hadn't bought them out, we'd have seen it by now. I loved MythI and II, Myth III wasn't done by Bungie and it showed, waste of money.

On my next computer, it will be the next gen PowerPC, I'm sort of concerned its not going to be the G5 from Motorola after all the talk on some these threads, and I'd most likely get 2 of the 19" Displays. I'd rather spend the money on more real estate as opposed to the water front property....:D

jelloshotsrule
Apr 30, 2002, 09:31 PM
Well, that's not as bad, and btw, I'm waiting for Halo myself. If MS hadn't bought them out, we'd have seen it by now. I loved MythI and II, Myth III wasn't done by Bungie and it showed, waste of money.

On my next computer, it will be the next gen PowerPC, I'm sort of concerned its not going to be the G5 from Motorola after all the talk on some these threads, and I'd most likely get 2 of the 19" Displays. I'd rather spend the money on more real estate as opposed to the water front property....:D

oh man, i was wondering why myth 3 seemed a bit weak. i got hosed there as well... ahh

i'm not totally sure what you mean by your last sentence... but here's what i feel about the displays, given my budget (minimal)... i'd rather get 2 15" than 1 17"... for very similar prices (ie, could get 2 15 for 1 17...)

so as of now, i'm waiting on my 15" to arrive, to add to my current 19(17?) vga monitor... that way i spend less... then when i have a bit more money once i get a job, i get the 17, 19, or whatever to compliment the 15... don't really "need" 2 of the big ones... of course "need" is always so subjective... ha

OSUbuckeyefan
Apr 30, 2002, 09:35 PM

Myth III wasn't done by Bungie and it showed, waste of money.

The screenshots of Myth III looked pretty good I thought. Just curious as to what you and jelloshots rule didn't like about the game...:confused:

jelloshotsrule
Apr 30, 2002, 09:43 PM
to be fair to myth... i have only played once. then again, that should be a sign that it didn't exactly suck me in...

the game control seems different than the earlier ones, and a bit tough.

it also seemed very dark to me. it was just hard to control and get into it. i couldn't see my people sometimes because of the darkness. the graphics and stuff are cool enough, but the gameplay is where i thought it lacked.... duke will probably know more. after all, he has over 1000 posts... haha.

Mr. Anderson
Apr 30, 2002, 09:44 PM

The screenshots of Myth III looked pretty good I thought. Just curious as to what you and jelloshots rule didn't like about the game...:confused:

It lacked the playability that was perfected in MythII. And the fact the online aspect of MythII rocked, huge interest, great netgames, people customizing it beyond anything expected. I loved the WWII scenarios.

MythIII had almost no online following. I logged in once or twice hoping to find a bunch of Myth fanatics and ended up very dissapointed. Oh, well, that's the way it goes. I'm sure Bungie was glad to put that behind them.

LethalWolfe
May 1, 2002, 08:49 PM
Considering M$ bought bungee (makers of Halo) so it would be an "temporary" X-BOX exclusive, I don't think Halo will ever be on the Mac (or PC for that matter). Actually, I take that back. In a year or two I bet M$ will port Halo to computers (after it's usefullness to the X-BOX has ended) and it will flop because it will look and play like a 2 year old video game. ;)

I wouldn't even consider a Mac for gaming unless it came w/a GeForce4 (not the MX) or you bought the Radeon 8500 (but then you'd have an extra card laying around, and much less money). Honestly, Macs will never be "gaming machines" because the rest of the computer, and game, world has a much faster product cycle than Apple does. In the realm of gaming you will always be able to buy (or build) a cheaper, faster, better PC that will always pummel the fastest Mac Jobs will let you have. To repeat, this is in regards to gaming only! :)

Lethal

ericb88
May 8, 2002, 02:51 PM
for those of you mac gamers, how many of you use new imacs? how do those run compared to pc machines?

King Cobra
May 8, 2002, 08:14 PM
With this talk about Halo being for the PC (currently) Apple should encourage companies to make some incredible quality games for the Mac only. Then we will see some not only fustrated PC users, but very bored PC users! :)

Any time is a great time for iPod.

peterjhill
May 8, 2002, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by LethalWolfe
Considering M$ bought bungee (makers of Halo) so it would be an "temporary" X-BOX exclusive, I don't think Halo will ever be on the Mac (or PC for that matter).

Actually, having seen the "making of" video from an X-Box magazine, the Halo that is on the XBOX is alot different from what the initally envisioned. They are actually writing the code as we speak to port it to Windows and MacOS.

"Only on X-Box" means that the X-Box is the only console that the game will be released on.

I had serious doubts about the X-box, but (and this is awesome) my boss's Boss bought an X-box for our network and systems lab so that all the geeks on our floor can geek out on the xbox. It replaced our old dreamcast. We chipped in and got the Yamaha DD/DTS surround decoder/amplifier system, and let me tell you, it is freakin' awesome! If Halo were the only game ever to come out for the X-Box, I'd buy it. Multiplayer is incredible. I've played 12 player games on huge maps, and it is wicked!

I would like to see the Mac and PC version have Internet play (just please not through MS stupid online game system, the one that Star Wars GB uses.

Halo on My Ti800 will be incredible!! With the widescreen... Yum!

Unregistered
May 9, 2002, 07:14 AM
Originally posted by peterjhill

We chipped in and got the Yamaha DD/DTS surround decoder/amplifier system...

Hi peterjhill - can you tell me the model number on that? I've been in the market for a surround-sound receiver (particularly by yamaha) and would be interested to check that one out.
Thanks!
Jeff

peterjhill
May 9, 2002, 07:20 AM
Yamaha TSS-1B 6-Piece Dolby Digital/DTS Surround Sound Computer Speakers (Black) (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005A3UH/qid=1020946731/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_67_1/002-6226864-0624021)

for $129 after rebates. I like my Harmon Kardon DD/DTS receiver for my tv/dvd player, but this system is perfectly adequate for a fairly good sized room.

Halo won't be the same without it, once you have played with it ;)

OSUbuckeyefan
May 9, 2002, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by peterjhill
Yamaha TSS-1B 6-Piece Dolby Digital/DTS Surround Sound Computer Speakers (Black) (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005A3UH/qid=1020946731/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_67_1/002-6226864-0624021)

for $129 after rebates. I like my Harmon Kardon DD/DTS receiver for my tv/dvd player, but this system is perfectly adequate for a fairly good sized room.

Halo won't be the same without it, once you have played with it ;)

Thanks for the information! :)

Paolo
May 18, 2002, 06:54 PM
I've got games running on a new iMac, it's sweet, just as good as the PC. If not better! The 800Mhz iMac is sweet on games... although a Geforce 4 Ti would be pretty sweet!!! But Macs seem to mac up for the lack of graphics card somewhere else... I don't know where!?

mr.w
May 18, 2002, 08:40 PM
If you like games with good storylines, you should try EVNOVA... It works in osx great, and i've never played a mac game with a better storyline (deus ex was close). If you haven't already, give it a try www.ambrosiasw.com

the user plugs are a great feature too.