Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
Hi Guys,

I have a Pre-Santa Rosa MacBook running at 2ghz with 1GB of Ram.

Thinking of the new blackbook or high end white model.

Will I see a noticeable difference?

I've been using Handbrake alot, I do some photo work, and HD Video Editing occasionally.

If there's not much of a difference I was thinking of keeping my Current Machine and upping it 3gb of RAM to max it out. But I think since my Processor is two behind that it might be worth upgrading to a new machine.

Thoughts Suggestions??

Thanks in Advance

MacGuyver

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2007
I have the same machine as you. 2.16 blackbook and I have 4gb's of ram (3.3 recognizable)

I wouldn't dream of upgrading now... there isn't enough of a difference, my machine isn't obsolete enough.

Next time I upgrade I want to KNOW that I'm using a brand new laptop. My machine now is lightening fast and I don't notice any difference between it and the SRMacbooks or the newest ones. Especially now that the ram is maxed out. I'm sure the differences are there on a micro scale, but nothing that anybody would notice. Like, if it takes me 5 seconds longer too boot.. who gives a ****.

The next MacBook I buy (or MBP if they make a 12") I want to be worth getting and noticeably different from my current machine. And lets be honest.... every macbook in the last 2 years has been more 'machine' than most of us really need. Nobody is working for NASA here.... I bet 99% haven't opened any programs more intensive than Photoshop in the last year.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Well, if you have a few hundred lying around you can sell yours and get the new one. If the money isn't a problem to do this, I find it's usually worth it.

If it would be more valuable to you to keep some money, your current machine is still very very capable.

hierobryan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
earth/jupiter
I say you get off these forums NOW. Quit visiting apple.com and the Apple retail stores. Keep your eyes off all Apple hardware (except your own Macbook, of course). Then in two years or so...

I3eXa

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2004
IdaPIMP
you should see a difference in using handbrake and such video converting/editing but other tasks such as browsing the net and reading mail will be the same....I'd go for it if I were you...I actually just ordered mine earlier today upgrading from my pre-SR macbook as well, but i had 2GB RAM

Masizzle

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
I have the same machine as you. 2.16 blackbook and I have 4gb's of ram (3.3 recognizable)

I wouldn't dream of upgrading now... there isn't enough of a difference, my machine isn't obsolete enough.

Next time I upgrade I want to KNOW that I'm using a brand new laptop. My machine now is lightening fast and I don't notice any difference between it and the SRMacbooks or the newest ones. Especially now that the ram is maxed out. I'm sure the differences are there on a micro scale, but nothing that anybody would notice. Like, if it takes me 5 seconds longer too boot.. who gives a ****.

The next MacBook I buy (or MBP if they make a 12") I want to be worth getting and noticeably different from my current machine. And lets be honest.... every macbook in the last 2 years has been more 'machine' than most of us really need. Nobody is working for NASA here.... I bet 99% haven't opened any programs more intensive than Photoshop in the last year.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
These machines haven't made anyone obsolete. My next purchase is Nehalem in a MacBook Pro. You should at least wait until June 2008 WWDC.

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
The machine you have now is fine. I have one of those and a SR MB. There really isn't enough difference to bother with it. Then again you sort of owe it to Apple to spend every last red cent of disposable income available to you on their products. If you decide against a new MB at the very least find something else on apple.com you really don't need to make up the difference.

In all sincerity though I really would not bother. If you had an original CD MB I would consider an upgrade but not for what you have now.

Genden

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008

I have the exact same MacBook but in white, is the 3.3gb of RAM noticeable from say 2GB of RAM?

Masizzle

macrumors member
Feb 27, 2008
I have the exact same MacBook but in white, is the 3.3gb of RAM noticeable from say 2GB of RAM?

Seriously... I know it's there.. and that makes all the difference :D

But I notice that it boots faster and it seems to open apps quicker, especially if I have multiple apps open already. I believe the word would be 'snappier'?

But honestly i just wanted it maxed out, it wasn't slow by any means before. But for 80 bucks or so why not?

also.. I have more free memory now..

picture1be0.jpg

It's basically all the memory I added loi.^ But it's good to know it's free.

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
personaly, I wouldn't do it. your machine is still a quality rig. I'd ride that puppy into the ground- but then again I'm still using a G5 iMac as my home computer for my video editing projects and photos. works fine for that. I also have an eMac for work that I see no reason to replace anytime soon. oh, and I almost forgot the 6 year old G3 iBook that up until the logicboard died again 2 weeks ago I used every day. still debating whether to repair it out of pocket or replace it. if it didnt need a logic board I wouldn't even be tempted by the recent MB refurb prices.

honestly, I'm happy with the performance of every one of those computers. sure, the benchmarks suck compared to the new ones-I guess its a good thing I use it for actual tasks and not benchmarks then. the point is those are 3 pretty old units as far as technology goes, but they perform fine every day. your current MB will be a solid performer for years to come, even though it won't be the newest. if you refuse to allow yourself to be tempted and commit to squeezing every drop you can out of your current system I think years down the road replacing it will be easy.

Genden

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2008
personaly, I wouldn't do it. your machine is still a quality rig. I'd ride that puppy into the ground- but then again I'm still using a G5 iMac as my home computer for my video editing projects and photos. works fine for that. I also have an eMac for work that I see no reason to replace anytime soon. oh, and I almost forgot the 6 year old G3 iBook that up until the logicboard died again 2 weeks ago I used every day. still debating whether to repair it out of pocket or replace it. if it didnt need a logic board I wouldn't even be tempted by the recent MB refurb prices.

honestly, I'm happy with the performance of every one of those computers. sure, the benchmarks suck compared to the new ones-I guess its a good thing I use it for actual tasks and not benchmarks then. the point is those are 3 pretty old units as far as technology goes, but they perform fine every day. your current MB will be a solid performer for years to come, even though it won't be the newest. if you refuse to allow yourself to be tempted and commit to squeezing every drop you can out of your current system I think years down the road replacing it will be easy.

Words of wisdom for you. Remember what Buddha said...
Attachment = Suffering

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.