Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
0.o
I never thought I would.
Now that the battle is over and Bluray has won, a PS3 looks better and better each day.

There's even a game or two I would want to play. And I hear it upscales regular dvds well.

What made me seriously consider is when I talked to some of my friends about hooking it up to my 1680x1050 LCD. I asked how much extra that would cost.

I guess HDMI to DVI cables are like < 30 dollars. 0.o
That's very doable. If only hooking up my Wii was that cheap (is it?!)

Am I crazy? I am in a position where I could afford a 400 dollar PS3. I would buy it when the summer comes so it might be even cheaper.

Convince me either way. I would consider a 360 also but hey Microsoft. Fix your damn hardware. ;)

Speaking of hooking my Wii to my monitor would this work?
http://www.vdigi.com/index.php?page...n=com_virtuemart&Itemid=26&vmcchk=1&Itemid=26

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
*kicks Bobber*

There. :p

The PS3 looks to do very well this year, though I expect the 360 and Wii to also do well. I've had no issues with either of the 360s I owned (sold the first one so I could get one with HDMI) and it has lots of awesome games. Of course, if you're looking for an HD movie player the 360 isn't really an option, now that HD-DVD is dead, but there's still movie rentals and the like. And Live is far superior to PSN, though the PlayStation will be getting home.

All depends on what you're looking for, though I'll warn you that if you do get a PS3, make sure your monitor supports HDCP.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
I really like the ps3, and it's still the cheapest and best blu ray player over here.

Play about equal time on my ps3 and 360. Its handy have both as you can choose the better of the multi-format games and knpw your getting the best version every time ;)

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Can anyone explain to me why there's such a large "anti-PS3" scene, it's not like it's a bad console or anything... is it?

i can understand if your from the UK, cause the prices are more than inflated. Typical basic console sell for about 39,000yen in Japan, less than £185 (including local tax). I know Play-Asia won't export to Europe... but I will (for a small commission)

UltraNEO* TechStore

Sony PS3 40Gb Base console
Available in Ceramic White / Ice Silver / Black
£205 + P&P

Sony PS3 60Gb Console with Media slots
Available in Black
£290 + P&P

Sony PS3 DualShock3 controller
-coming to the UK and the US this Spring... but i have them NOW!
Available in Ceramic White / Ice Silver / Black
£35 each + P&P
(No P&P required when purchased with console)

Sony PSP Slim
Available in Ceramic White / Ice Silver / Black / Rose Pink / Light Purple / Baby Blue / Peppermint Green
£100 + P&P

Important:
I will ship to any part of the EU*. However, all payments is taken via Bank Transfer or Wire Transfer to a UK HSBC account (buyer pays banking fees) Only once i have clear funds, your goods will be dispatched, promptly. Sent with international tracking and I'll PM you with those details.

Import taxes are the purchaser's responsibility, I'll write "gift" on the custom label which should help. Before shipping, every console sold will be briefly tested to avoid you receiving a lemon. Sorry, All manuals are in Japanese.

Please send me a PM if your interested in making a purchase.

*countries in the EU are:
Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Cyprus, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, and the United Kingdom

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^ I think the tide is turning. It's now priced where it should have been from the outset and games are improving so that it is getting a very decent library of titles indeed.

Thanks for that link. So you will export to Europe ;) That's good to know :)

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
So what exactly is this HDCP? Is it a huge problem if my monitor doesn't specifically say it supports it?

Antares

macrumors 68000
*Kicks Bobber out of his home*
*Kicks Bobber to the game store*
*Kicks Bobber to the shelf of PS3's*
*Kicks Bobber to the register*
I'll kick you again if you don't buy one!

Seriously, I have been so surprisingly pleased with my PS3 since I bought it this past November. Blu-ray is wonderful. Upscaled dvd's look great (better than my stand-alone upscaling dvd player). The games look amazing. I also own a Wii and the PS3 is the perfect complement. You will not be disappointed.

mrwizardno2

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2007
Columbus, OH
I <3 my ps3 and highly recommend you get one :D

Seriously, it's amazing. And when you get a tv that does 1080P... you'll wonder how you ever thought anything you've seen before looked good - it's unreal!

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
i must also say - i'm on the way to pick up a PS3 after work

to go with my wii/xbox360/ds :rolleyes: o dear :p

You won't regret it...it a grand console and excellent media box. Make sure to pick up some nice titles and some PSN games including Everyday Shooter & Pixel Junk Monsters.

OP, if you going for it then dive right in....make sure you pick the right games.

Bless

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
*kick*

I spent an entire week with my friend's PS3. Resistance, Orange Box, COD4, Assassin's Creed, NBA 2K7 - I was bored/frustrated with it really quickly.

Can you honestly say there's three or more games you'd like to play on a PS3? If not, then put it off. At least wait for the MGS4 bundle.

magicjames92

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2007
I have a 360. It red-ringed. Ain't lookin too good this year. So I got a PS3 also. Love it. Never thought I would. Uncharted, resistance, gran turismo, warhawk, littlebigplanet, etc etc

RichL

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Chicago
Can't lose with a 360. Online, game library, lack of Red Ring, HDMI ports/cables, many accessories, did I mention the extensive game library?

PS3 is a great HD centerpiece but the games thus far are mediocre or are on the 360.

Not gonna lie...I just realized you could plug an iPod or Zune into the 360 or PS3s. That's so badass.

Anyway, enjoy your decision. They are both good for different reasons.

-Rich L.

bobber205

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Nov 15, 2005
Oregon
Can't lose with a 360. Online, game library, lack of Red Ring, HDMI ports/cables, many accessories, did I mention the extensive game library?

PS3 is a great HD centerpiece but the games thus far are mediocre or are on the 360.

Not gonna lie...I just realized you could plug an iPod or Zune into the 360 or PS3s. That's so badass.

Anyway, enjoy your decision. They are both good for different reasons.

-Rich L.

360 doesn't have the red ring? So what does? ;)

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
I'm also considering a PS3 especially since Blu Ray won. It's still the only profile 2.0 comptible player out there, and it plays games. My Wii (mainly) and original modded xbox/ps2 serve my gaming needs right now, I don't have any need for another games system, but basically I want a hi-def player, and it plays games as a bonus, can't lose. (and it would mean GT5, I love the gran turismo series)

Much Ado

macrumors 68000
Sep 7, 2006
UK
Here I am again, tagging on at the end of a thread to say that I too like my new PS3.

The hardware is terrific, quite unlike the 360 which reminds me of a heavily-vibrating piece of Swiss cheese. But i digest/digress.

RichL

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Chicago
360 doesn't have the red ring? So what does? ;)

It's not common anymore. They released a new chip in some and in others they improved the heat flow. My Elite is never too hot.

Oooh, Warhawk, Ratchet & Clank, Uncharted and Folklore are available on 360? Sweet!

Remember how I said either they are mediocre or on xbox 360? ^_^

Oh and I forgot. A Blu-Ray external drive is in the works for the 360. Touche.

digitalnicotine

macrumors 65816
Jan 11, 2008
USA
I just got a PS3. I love it. I have a 26" Toshiba HDTV at 720P and I sit about 2 feet away, and the graphics and BR movies are freakin' awesome. Got the TV for $639 shipped at newegg.com, and it looks like it was built specifically to have a PS3 next to it.

I think the fact that you are unsure, and have a working 360 is a good reason to wait at least a few more months as there are rumors of a new PS3 version coming out (basically bigger HD's, but not sure on anything else). Also the content for PS3 is in the early stages, with some awesome games out now, and a lot of awesome games that will be released in the next few months and beyond. By August, nobody will be saying anything about PS3 lacking content.

I didn't wait because I can upgrade the HD or hook up an external, so it wasn't a big deal for me. I just wish I had taken the plunge sooner, and my poor Wii and 360 are sadly neglected since I have. I also have a PSP, so once I've explored the interaction between PSP and PS3, I'll likely be selling my 360, and possibly my Wii. Base your decision on what your specific needs/wants are. Look at the upcoming games coming out. Look at newegg.com and see that a 24" monitor with HDCP and HDMI or DVI to HDMI is a very easy way to get 1080P without buying an HDTV.

I'm completely happy with my purchase, and hope you will be too, when/if you decide to buy. Good luck! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.