Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

losername

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Hi All,

I'm not sure this necessarily needs to be in a Macbook forum, but since I'm one of the many torn between the new MB and MBP, I'm going to ask here...

I'm looking for one of the above as a secondary machine, I'm not particularly looking for a gaming rig, but I do intend to use the box for Divx/Xvid to Dvd encoding. I've been hanging on for Penryn because I had heard that the performance there was worth waiting for - particularly for my vid enc purposes.

My question is really will the 8600GT (or lack of it) adversely affect my encode performance? I had always previously thought it was mostly a processor based exercise (perhaps I'm just looking for reasons to buy the MBP :D).

Cheers,

Losername.

PMR

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2007
Portugal (Google it)
For video encoding the gpu won't help a thing. Just for real time preview of some effects. This might change one day, but not for now. You may go with the new macbook which is friggin fast.

richard.mac

macrumors 603
Feb 2, 2007
51.50024, -0.12662
your right. video encoding uses CPU power not video RAM. the MB and MBP have the same CPU not including the different clock speeds. so the MB just as powerful as the MBP when encoding video.

so if your not gaming or using graphics intensive apps the MB would be perfect for you.

i have a MBP and besides the beefier graphics card the extra features arent that great. i dont even use the backlit keyboard and better speakers.

losername

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 28, 2007
Thanks for all the replies!

It seems I should be looking for a Macbook!

I really don't think I can justify the extra cost for the Pro, particularly when I've yet to convince the missus we need a laptop at all :eek:

Cheers for now and @richthomas "keep it at eleven" ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.