Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 12, 2007
I'm thinking of buying a refurbished BlackBook to save some $$$, since they currently are selling one 31% off the original price. Are refurbished Macs okay to purchase? Will I experience any problems?

AliensAreFuzzy

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2004
Madison, WI
I have heard very few problems with refurbs. Plus you'll still have the 1 year warranty and option of buying Applecare. I say buy with confidence!

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I just gave in to temptation and bought one of those refurb SR blackbooks. IMO it's a heckuva deal (benchmarks show hardly any difference with the new chips). so I say go for it! :D

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Refurbs have a great track record. The occasional one may be a lemon, but the same is true for brand new models.

My MBP was bought refurbished. It came in flawless condition and aside from a wonky battery (replaced for free), it's been great.

GfulDedFan

macrumors 65816
Oct 17, 2007
Indiana
I'm the proud owner of a perfectly working 1st generation refurbished MacBook. It's the best computer I've ever owned. Go for it. :)

redrdstr

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2007
i picked up a refurbed blackbook in june. it's great and i haven't experienced any technical issues. i have heard that they replace the case and all so it practically looks new. i think refurbed is better since someone had an issue before and it was resolved so, it shouldn't happen again.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
Hey, I done one of these threads last week!

[MODERATOR MODE] Use the search [/MODERATOR MODE]

:D :p ;)

Cyroceon

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I just got my refurb this past Saturday. Let me tell you, this thing is brand new. I mean, if by refurb, they mean it doesn't come in the same box, that's all it was. There wasn't even a blemish on it, anywhere. The first thing I did was inspect the exterior and the screen. They were abso-f*cking-lutely spotless. Buy a refurb and don't look back.

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
I just got my refurb this past Saturday. Let me tell you, this thing is brand new. I mean, if by refurb, they mean it doesn't come in the same box, that's all it was. There wasn't even a blemish on it, anywhere. The first thing I did was inspect the exterior and the screen. They were abso-f*cking-lutely spotless. Buy a refurb and don't look back.

That's good to hear! I bought one last night. Couldn't pass it up! 2.2Ghz Blk. Apple already shipped it and it should be here by next tuesday at the latest. I hope my experience is as good as yours--)))) Oh yeah out the door $1049

Best to ya's! ;)

DaBrain

macrumors 65816
Feb 28, 2007
ERIE, PA
How $1049? I'm looking at this too. Do they still charge tax on the refurb?

Yes! But still a great deal! My understanding is that if Apple has a store in the state your from then by law they must chg tax from their on line store from that state too! Im sure they would rather not have to!

cam3ron

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2007
Hey, I thought I'd throw my two cents in. Refurbished units are great. I just bought one myself a few weeks ago. I did however have a faulty keyboard, but I took it to an authorized dealer (As there are no Apple stores in my city) and it was fixed free of charge ( a week later mind you). Overall, a great deal, go for it.

dino9832

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2008
Is a refurbished black book much different than the latest low end white? The hard drive is a little bigger. The CPU is a little faster. Oh, and the DVD write ability. Is there anything I'm missing?

rjflyn

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2007
I am typing on my two year old refurb ibook. Looking to probably replace this spring with a Blackbook from the refurb store sometime this spring. Have not had one problem with it, and I have beat it like a dead horse. Could use a new battery is about all.

rj

seattle

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2007
I just got my refurb black MacBook a couple hours ago and it looks brand new. I did not get any extra ram or bigger hard drive but I am fine with that. I downloaded all the updates and tested it out. Great deal for $1049.

Lucascsula

macrumors regular
Jul 6, 2007
Orange County, California
I just got my refurb black MacBook a couple hours ago and it looks brand new. I did not get any extra ram or bigger hard drive but I am fine with that. I downloaded all the updates and tested it out. Great deal for $1049.

Dude. I wanted that one. I have the money and everything. I jump on to buy it and its sold out. Does anyone know when they refresh the Apple Pages?

How often should I check? My father really wants one bad.

honeycrisp

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2007
I'm thinking of buying a refurbished BlackBook to save some $$$, since they currently are selling one 31% off the original price. Are refurbished Macs okay to purchase? Will I experience any problems?

Dude, I hear refurb is the shiz...

jemeinc

macrumors 6502a
Feb 14, 2004
South Jersey
Dude. I wanted that one. I have the money and everything. I jump on to buy it and its sold out. Does anyone know when they refresh the Apple Pages?

How often should I check? My father really wants one bad.

refurb store is usually updated between 4:00 -4:15 AM EST.. I just grabbed a 2.2 GHZ Black MacBook for $1049 yesterday morning at about 4:10 AM and it shipped this morning..

I drug my feet a little when they first announced those prices so I thought I missed the boat on this deal... I actually placed an order for 2.16 for 999 but cancelled it the same day.. I'm glad I did.. It looks like they have a couple 2.2's here and there but they're gone almost immediately.. Gotta get up early, but you'll save 31% if you do ..

skins0304

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2008
Got a 2.2 120gb White Macbook just a few days ago. The thing was spotless (no even a fingerprint) and runs perfectly. And was a bargain at $999.

It even came with an extra GB of ram.

Which is why I love Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.