PDA

View Full Version : Poll: Two forums or One for MacBook and MacBook Pro?

arn
Feb 27, 2008, 08:58 AM
please answer this poll

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=443046

SFStateStudent
Mar 27, 2008, 01:17 AM
is it possible to split the MB - MBP - MBA "last post" column into separate forums on the Mac Forums page #1? Thanks either way. Earl :D

Zwhaler
Apr 1, 2008, 07:16 PM
is it possible to split the MB - MBP - MBA "last post" column into separate forums on the Mac Forums page #1? Thanks either way. Earl :D

I second this, that would be great. And the same for the desktops forum as well... pretty please? :D

BlackThunder
Apr 18, 2008, 12:26 AM
So I guess they're never getting merged... I'm kinda used to it now... at first I wanted them together but I'm changing my vote (not that anybody gives a ****)

Luzzio
Apr 18, 2008, 03:28 AM
Is it possible with the forum's engine to make three sections, one with only Macbook/iBook related threads, the second MBP only, and the 3rd one being a combination of both?

The current parent directory (Notebooks) for MB and MBP sections only bring up the choice of choosing from MB, MBP or MBA sections.

Heck, why not make it 4 sections, with the 4th being a combination of all 3? :)

rmwebs
Jul 8, 2008, 04:47 PM
I think its safe to come to a conclusion from the poll....when will the change be made? :)

WildCowboy
Jul 8, 2008, 04:55 PM
I think its safe to come to a conclusion from the poll....when will the change be made? :)

What change? The poll says that over 72% of people prefer separate forums, which is what we have in the form of subforums. :confused:

Alan Taylor
Jul 10, 2008, 06:35 AM
Seperate is way better, it makes it so much easier to find information on just the models you want to read about!

Gir-Book
Jul 16, 2008, 09:40 AM
yes

Tallest Skil
Jul 16, 2008, 09:41 AM
yes

Very unhelpful, equally unfunny.

Two forums, arn.

Shackler
Jul 17, 2008, 07:11 PM

so is this gonna ever happen. i think its a good idea

WildCowboy
Jul 17, 2008, 10:11 PM

As far as I know, vBulletin can't do this out of the box. I believe that arn did a bit of hacking some time ago to make subforums more usable from the index page and expressed an interest in having a "last post" visible for each of them, but I'm not sure what would be involved in taking this next step.

An alternative is to make each one a full-fledged forum instead of a subforum, but that's not ideal from a hierarchical organization perspective.

Winter Charm
Aug 15, 2008, 09:50 AM
I second this, that would be great. And the same for the desktops forum as well... pretty please? :D

i third this. :) thanks

TommyLee
Aug 20, 2008, 02:00 PM
1 for iBook, one for MacBook

bpl323
Aug 20, 2008, 02:17 PM
iBook!

medicstl
Aug 27, 2008, 02:41 PM
Honestly...I just want to know if I should hold off on a MB. I was on the verge of making the purchase this week and I see a potoential upgrade to them. It started with the i-Touch and then the i-Phone. Should I hold out on the MB? Wait for this hypothetical update?

iMaccore2
Aug 28, 2008, 06:06 AM
Honestly...I just want to know if I should hold off on a MB. I was on the verge of making the purchase this week and I see a potoential upgrade to them. It started with the i-Touch and then the i-Phone. Should I hold out on the MB? Wait for this hypothetical update?

If you are buying this for school, don't wait. Really. Even if they do update, what are they going to do that would be so big. They're obvioulsly not releasing a redesign. Maybe from a gig of ram to 2 gigs base, the others stay the same. That'll probably be it, maybe a processor bump, so, heres my advice,

GO BUY IT.....like NOW!

Muncher
Oct 15, 2008, 09:31 PM
If you are buying this for school, don't wait. Really. Even if they do update, what are they going to do that would be so big. They're obvioulsly not releasing a redesign. Maybe from a gig of ram to 2 gigs base, the others stay the same. That'll probably be it, maybe a processor bump, so, heres my advice,

GO BUY IT.....like NOW!

It already is 2GB ram base, and expensive ram at that. They're not bumping base ram for a while.

corydoras
Oct 16, 2008, 07:28 AM
The idea of splitting forums is so 1990's. There should not be arbitrary pre-defined categories at all. Just posts, with "tags" indicating what subjects/topics the post relates to.

Check out: http://bbpress.org/forums/

We all know what happened to yahoo when it tried to rely on people/humans to categories websites into predefined categories (:

rdowns
Oct 16, 2008, 08:09 AM
Rather than split the forums by product line, perhaps they should be split into Whiners and Discussions.

aaquib
Nov 4, 2008, 09:24 PM
Rather than split the forums by product line, perhaps they should be split into Whiners and Discussions.

I would love that. Just don't have it named Whiners, instead make it something like "Grievances", just so the whiners aren't embarrassed ;)

MSchmunk
Dec 27, 2008, 04:06 PM
I voted "together"
now that i think about it, i think it should be separate.
its just less confusing when people are talking indirectly about an MB or MBP.

Peterpanhub
Dec 27, 2008, 09:54 PM
let's them sperately.. i thought

both of them seem to be closer either External and Internal stuffs :)

So it would better for Macfan to see CLEARY how different they are. :D

iMav
Jan 11, 2009, 07:18 AM
Now that the MB and MBP's have been refreshed and both are now so similar, it seems to me that "glassbook" and "glassbook pro" discussions should reside in the same sub-forum.

Buskape
Jan 11, 2009, 07:22 PM
Looks like every MacBook Pro users don't want to share their forum with the "lower class MacBook Non-Pro user"

Nero9171
Jan 23, 2009, 01:09 AM
Wouldn't it make sense to split up the sections like this:

Macbook Pro
Macbook Air
Macbook
Pre-Intel (iBook, Powerbook)

aluminumapple
Feb 10, 2009, 07:12 PM
there will be too many issues with over floading of difficulty with drivers or programs or errors with screen that will have nothing to do with one or the other.

NewMacbookPlz
Feb 24, 2009, 01:38 AM
Most definitely separate forums. As is, there are more than enough duplicate threads from people not searching.

The last thing we need, is duplicate threads being about two different models with the exact same solution. Ugh, that would be absurd.

crackbookpro
Mar 5, 2009, 12:40 PM
Wouldn't it make sense to split up the sections like this:

Macbook Pro
Macbook Air
Macbook
Pre-Intel (iBook, Powerbook)

I think that is a good idea, but at the same time, we may see some forums that ARE related, that are in DIFFERENT forums...and ultimately, these threads may not get to the needed recipient - that is NOT good.

...so I suggest...

Keeping MacBook & MacbookPro's in one forum is best because of them having a lot of similarities in components(besides the graphics card), and MacBook Air in another forum by itself....and older generation MacBooks/MacBookPros/Ibooks(pre-Intel) in another seperate forum.

CrackBookPro:cool:

Old Mac Geezer
Mar 10, 2009, 08:33 AM
Most definitely separate forums. As is, there are more than enough duplicate threads from people not searching.

The last thing we need, is duplicate threads being about two different models with the exact same solution. Ugh, that would be absurd.

Separating the forums would produce EXACTLY the result you are hoping to avoid because then you'll have people posting the same questions and answers in three forums instead of one.

jtibbitt
Mar 11, 2009, 10:41 AM
Yes, I like only one. If there is a model issue, it can placed easily in the title. Many issues overlap, and members mostly viewing only one forum miss out alot on what others are talking about. It makes it simpler and easier to search too.

The one thing I wonder, though, is if the threads would get posted too quickly to keep up with. Maybe the administrators could supplement what we have now with an "all" forum temporarily containing every thread, and evaluate it's success.

NewMacbookPlz
Mar 15, 2009, 08:57 PM
Separating the forums would produce EXACTLY the result you are hoping to avoid because then you'll have people posting the same questions and answers in three forums instead of one.

The forums are already separate, so that's a moot point.

sprale
Jun 7, 2009, 05:44 PM
From a hardware perspective, keep them in the same main forum, but give a sub-forum to each the plastic MacBook (13") and the MacBook Pro models. They run very similar specs, though the logic boards and other hardware are quite different. This is even more pronounced when it comes to the differences between the plastic MacBook and the newer unibody 15/17" MBPs. I repair Macs for a living (second job) and can see the differences easily on the inside. I don't even see a need for the aluminum 13", but that's Apple's call.

On another note, extract the defunct iBook, PowerBook and other legacy Mac portables into a Legacy Mac Laptop sub-forum as well. I think this will help people understand that the iBook and the plastic MacBook are quote dissimilar. It will also keep queries related to current Mac offerings and outdated models separate. Though some software can be run on many models, current models have more in common than a MBP and an iBook.

mikes70mustang
Jun 7, 2009, 05:52 PM

GO BUY IT.....like NOW!

My advice, read the other 5 threads a day on that topic and dont post in a non related thread.

rdowns
Jun 7, 2009, 06:24 PM
My advice, read the other 5 threads a day on that topic and dont post in a non related thread.

My advice, don't reply to 10 month old posts. :rolleyes:

emt1
Jun 8, 2009, 03:10 PM
I think it would make sense to have one forum for all Mac laptops now.

fireshot91
Jun 8, 2009, 05:20 PM
Lets say there's one forum for everything, wouldn't that overcrowd it?
I mean, there was a reason that (Arn?) switched Macbook/Pro to two different forums.

I say lets keep the Macbook and Pro separate.

Primejimbo
Jun 8, 2009, 05:37 PM
Lets say there's one forum for everything, wouldn't that overcrowd it?
I mean, there was a reason that (Arn?) switched Macbook/Pro to two different forums.

I say lets keep the Macbook and Pro separate.
Just rename this Macbook/Macbook Pro 13"

NewMacbookPlz
Jun 8, 2009, 06:35 PM
Just rename this Macbook/Macbook Pro 13"

I like the way this member thinks....

secondfox
Jun 8, 2009, 09:10 PM
Did the poll get reset today? If not, i think it should.

Anyhow, I second the above post.

Primejimbo
Jun 8, 2009, 09:54 PM
I like the way this member thinks....

Thanks, I get 1 good idea a year... that's it till 2010 :pI

shady825
Jun 9, 2009, 01:40 AM
4 Forums.

1.MacBook Pro
2.MacBook Air
3.MacBook COLLECTORS EDITION <----oh yea, I said it! haha! ;)
4.iBook & PowerBook

dman777
Jun 9, 2009, 03:08 PM
alright, something is going to have to be done. ether change the title for the form to : 13" macbook pro, macbook, ibook" or move all related posts to macbook pro forums and announce not to post macbook pro 13" in here.

sprale
Jun 9, 2009, 06:19 PM
4 Forums.

1.MacBook Pro
2.MacBook Air
3.MacBook
4.iBook, PowerBook and legacy laptops

We have a winner! :D (edited for content)

zdblue11
Oct 20, 2009, 03:09 PM
1 for keeping them separate

lukem24
Feb 7, 2010, 03:03 PM
I agree with the importance of keeping separate categories but there should also be one section for MacBook and MacBook Pro since, in my opinion, MAY share quite a few attributes--i.e., high-end MacBook alum-unibody and low-end MacBook Pro.

sprale
Feb 7, 2010, 05:15 PM
I agree with the importance of keeping separate categories but there should also be one section for MacBook and MacBook Pro since, in my opinion, MAY share quite a few attributes--i.e., high-end MacBook alum-unibody and low-end MacBook Pro.

The poly and aluminum BacBooks share more with the low-end MBP than I had previously thought. After working in a repair center, performing a variety of repairs and diagnosing software issues, here's how I now break them down in my head.

1.MacBook and MBP
2.MacBook Air
4.iBook, PowerBook and legacy laptops