Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
is it possible to split the MB - MBP - MBA "last post" column into separate forums on the Mac Forums page #1? Thanks either way. Earl :D

I second this, that would be great. And the same for the desktops forum as well... pretty please? :D

BlackThunder

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2008
So I guess they're never getting merged... I'm kinda used to it now... at first I wanted them together but I'm changing my vote (not that anybody gives a ****)

Luzzio

macrumors regular
Feb 12, 2008
Malaysia
Is it possible with the forum's engine to make three sections, one with only Macbook/iBook related threads, the second MBP only, and the 3rd one being a combination of both?

The current parent directory (Notebooks) for MB and MBP sections only bring up the choice of choosing from MB, MBP or MBA sections.

Heck, why not make it 4 sections, with the 4th being a combination of all 3? :)

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I think its safe to come to a conclusion from the poll....when will the change be made? :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I think its safe to come to a conclusion from the poll....when will the change be made? :)

What change? The poll says that over 72% of people prefer separate forums, which is what we have in the form of subforums. :confused:

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
is it possible to split the MB - MBP - MBA "last post" column into separate forums on the Mac Forums page #1? Thanks either way. Earl :D

As far as I know, vBulletin can't do this out of the box. I believe that arn did a bit of hacking some time ago to make subforums more usable from the index page and expressed an interest in having a "last post" visible for each of them, but I'm not sure what would be involved in taking this next step.

An alternative is to make each one a full-fledged forum instead of a subforum, but that's not ideal from a hierarchical organization perspective.

medicstl

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2008
Honestly...I just want to know if I should hold off on a MB. I was on the verge of making the purchase this week and I see a potoential upgrade to them. It started with the i-Touch and then the i-Phone. Should I hold out on the MB? Wait for this hypothetical update?

iMaccore2

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2008
Boston, MA
Honestly...I just want to know if I should hold off on a MB. I was on the verge of making the purchase this week and I see a potoential upgrade to them. It started with the i-Touch and then the i-Phone. Should I hold out on the MB? Wait for this hypothetical update?

If you are buying this for school, don't wait. Really. Even if they do update, what are they going to do that would be so big. They're obvioulsly not releasing a redesign. Maybe from a gig of ram to 2 gigs base, the others stay the same. That'll probably be it, maybe a processor bump, so, heres my advice,

GO BUY IT.....like NOW!

Muncher

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2007
California
If you are buying this for school, don't wait. Really. Even if they do update, what are they going to do that would be so big. They're obvioulsly not releasing a redesign. Maybe from a gig of ram to 2 gigs base, the others stay the same. That'll probably be it, maybe a processor bump, so, heres my advice,

GO BUY IT.....like NOW!

It already is 2GB ram base, and expensive ram at that. They're not bumping base ram for a while.

corydoras

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2008
Splitting "Forums"

The idea of splitting forums is so 1990's. There should not be arbitrary pre-defined categories at all. Just posts, with "tags" indicating what subjects/topics the post relates to.

Check out: http://bbpress.org/forums/

We all know what happened to yahoo when it tried to rely on people/humans to categories websites into predefined categories :)

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Rather than split the forums by product line, perhaps they should be split into Whiners and Discussions.

MSchmunk

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2008
I voted "together"
now that i think about it, i think it should be separate.
its just less confusing when people are talking indirectly about an MB or MBP.

Peterpanhub

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2008
let's them sperately.. i thought

both of them seem to be closer either External and Internal stuffs :)

So it would better for Macfan to see CLEARY how different they are. :D

iMav

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2008
Columbus, WI
Now that the MB and MBP's have been refreshed and both are now so similar, it seems to me that "glassbook" and "glassbook pro" discussions should reside in the same sub-forum.

Buskape

macrumors 6502
Dec 10, 2008
NGC 4889
Looks like every MacBook Pro users don't want to share their forum with the "lower class MacBook Non-Pro user"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.