PDA

View Full Version : Persuading your girlfriend to

Superdelphinus
Feb 27, 2008, 10:41 AM
let you spend lots of money on mac pros

issues/ solutions plzthnx

AdeFowler
Feb 27, 2008, 10:44 AM
Whose money are you spending, yours or hers? If it's yours grow a spine ;)

Father Jack
Feb 27, 2008, 10:46 AM
Just go for the Mac Pro, it will last a lot longer than your girlfriend and continue to keep it's looks longer as well LOL.. :cool:

Superdelphinus
Feb 27, 2008, 10:48 AM
it's 'ours' if you know what i mean

i might say you can get it in pink

mrwizardno2
Feb 27, 2008, 10:49 AM
Just go for the Mac Pro, it will last a lot longer than your girlfriend and continue to keep it's looks longer as well LOL.. :cool:

Not bad advice if you don't mind spending nights alone with your right hand :D

PlaceofDis
Feb 27, 2008, 10:50 AM
do you need the Mac Pro? if so, you should be able to create and argument as to why you need such an expensive machine.

Father Jack
Feb 27, 2008, 10:50 AM
At least it never has a headache ... :p

riscy
Feb 27, 2008, 10:52 AM
but it does have a beachball you can play with :)

At least it never has a headache ... :p

Superdelphinus
Feb 27, 2008, 10:55 AM
i could promise not to try and have sex with her for 6 months i guess

emw
Feb 27, 2008, 10:55 AM
Do you have other expenses that you need the money for - say for food or rent or some such thing? If the expenditure fits reasonably into your budget and you can show some value for making the purchase, it should go on it's own merit without a lot of extra convincing.

If, however, you don't really need it and would just like it because it's cool and you don't have the money to spend, then I'd forget it.

Also, perhaps there's something she'd like to get other than a Mac Pro. You get something, she gets something. Seems fair.

That's only for a Plasma TV (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=430932). A Mac Pro might require 9 months. :p

Father Jack
Feb 27, 2008, 10:58 AM

Promise her anything .. ;)

pointycollars
Feb 27, 2008, 10:58 AM
If it's your money you're spending, then why would you have to get your girlfriend's approval? If she's telling you what you should do with your own money, dump that girl and find someone with more respect. :)

Superdelphinus
Feb 27, 2008, 11:00 AM
because she is a woman and we all know how they are no friends of logic
i wonder if a wii is worth a blozza or 2

riscy
Feb 27, 2008, 11:01 AM
And this from a man of the cloth :)

Promise her anything .. ;)

bamaworks
Feb 27, 2008, 11:02 AM
If it's your money you're spending, then why would you have to get your girlfriend's approval? If she's telling you what you should do with your own money, dump that girl and find someone with more respect. :)

I 100% agree with OP. Sometimes it's not worth the flak you'll get from her to go out and spend that much money. Especially if she's waiting for an engagement ring (like mine). Let me tell you first hand, she can see Tiffany's on Fifth Avenue in that $2500. Sometimes we can get ridiculous with spending, if you don't REALLY have a lot of extra cash left over, then don't buy it. Sometimes it takes a good woman to tell a good man when he needs to chill out when draining his finances:). I know mine can regulate me from time to time ;).

7on
Feb 27, 2008, 11:05 AM
Save up for one? Open a Mac Pro savings account and put money away in there. It might take a year or more, but if you've managed to save for one she'd let you get one most likely.

nickster9224
Feb 27, 2008, 12:05 PM
let her buy somethin she really wants.

Father Jack
Feb 27, 2008, 12:27 PM
And this from a man of the cloth :)

In name only, my son .. ;)

mactastic
Feb 27, 2008, 12:40 PM
i wonder if a wii is worth a blozza or 2
Oy veh...

:rolleyes:

Smoogz
Feb 27, 2008, 02:34 PM
HEHEH I always just keep constantly put the product infront of my wife until its her asking me if we can get it!!! :p

mgargan1
Feb 27, 2008, 03:46 PM
be honest,

what was the first thing you were thinking when you read the title of this thread?

rfrankl
Feb 27, 2008, 03:52 PM
I am married, and I have my own checking and savings as does she. We do have a joint account. I am sure I am in the minority with this setup, but I do with my money what I want and she can do with hers what she wants. When I finally made the switch to a Mac, I researched what I wanted and bought it. There was no need to involve her. :)

katie ta achoo
Feb 27, 2008, 04:28 PM

That's really appreciated.

If it's your money, I don't see the problem. Why is this an issue between you two?

Abstract
Feb 27, 2008, 06:21 PM

If it's your money, I don't see the problem. Why is this an issue between you two?

Its not so simple. Sometimes, when the relationship is serious and you've been together for a long time, you tend to plan things as though you're doing, and buying things together. She's always a big part of your plans and how you'd spend "the" money (eg: vacation). So talking to her about big expenditures is a part of being "considerate". After all, what's mine is hers, and what's hers is mine.

Personally, I would have done what the OP did and talked to the girlfriend about it. It's not a matter of being "whipped", either. Between my girlfriend and I, she has graduated and got a proper job, while I don't have a proper job and am still a student. ;) Anyway, I know that if I was flat out broke and needed to bum off her for a few months, she wouldn't mind, or keep track of money. (Don't get me wrong. I've never had to do so.)

So not having sex with you is a gift?

How about this: promise her you'll improve your sexual ability. :p

4JNA
Feb 27, 2008, 09:21 PM
meh, get the MP... way more girlfriends than decent computers around. simple statistics problem really.

and the MP is way more quiet and useful anyway... :apple:

hotsauce
Feb 27, 2008, 10:25 PM
Wirelessly posted (Apple Communication Device: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Break up with her temporarily then while your single buy up as much stuff as you'd like. After you've satiated all your appetite, go back to her and tell her you thought all those material things you purchased were a subconscious way to medicate the pain you felt without her.

c073186
Feb 27, 2008, 10:33 PM
be honest,

what was the first thing you were thinking when you read the title of this thread?

Agreed.

Oh, and to the OP, I would have to ask: does this girl appreciate Macs? Or to her, is a computer just a computer? Cause that makes a big difference.

LizKat
Feb 28, 2008, 06:16 PM

She'll find someone to buy her a MacBook Air and a show her a great roll in the hay before then, trust me.

Superdelphinus
Feb 29, 2008, 03:01 AM
heh she's not keen on macs actually. she's one of those people that gets scared of change. However, she did ring me to tell me she'd seen the mac air advert on tv, so i think she likes that one!

It's complicated with the money - we're both trainee lawyers so not exactly rolling in it but the potential is there for the future. Thing is we have a baby and a new house though so she unreasonably thinks i should spend money on those two things first

edesignuk
Feb 29, 2008, 03:05 AM
Thing is we have a baby and a new house though so she unreasonably thinks i should spend money on those two things firstWomen eh? They've got some nerve! :p

MarkCollette
Feb 29, 2008, 04:52 PM
I thought this would be about analising if he should buy a computer, and I was right.

mgargan1
Feb 29, 2008, 05:06 PM
I thought this would be about analising if he should buy a computer, and I was right.

analising? I was thinking about the first part of your verb... but then again, i have a dirty mind.

Everythingisnt
Mar 1, 2008, 01:13 PM
and the MP is way more quiet and useful anyway... :apple:

Lol! And Mgargan1, yes, you do have a dirty mind..