PDA

View Full Version : Typing trick

davidy
Feb 27, 2008, 12:04 PM
I hate it when I have to click a 123 button to get symbols to pop up, and then I have to click ABC to go back. Although i have no idea how this "problem" would be solved, it is a slight hinderance for me.

This is not a problem if you simply do this:

If you're on the alphabetic keyboard and need a symbol on the secondary keyboard, simply touch the [123]. This immediately brings up the second keyboard. The trick now is that after you touch the [123] button, DO NOT LIFT YOUR FINGER; simply slide it to the symbol/number that you need and then lift your finger. This will insert the symbol at the space you left off at AND will automatically revert to the alphabetic keyboard

razorianfly
Feb 27, 2008, 01:42 PM
This is not a problem if you simply do this:

If you're on the alphabetic keyboard and need a symbol on the secondary keyboard, simply touch the [123]. This immediately brings up the second keyboard. The trick now is that after you touch the [123] button, DO NOT LIFT YOUR FINGER; simply slide it to the symbol/number that you need and then lift your finger. This will insert the symbol at the space you left off at AND will automatically revert to the alphabetic keyboard

I don't know whether this is your discovery or not, but my God, this is going to be useful for me.

R-Fly

IgnatiusTheKing
Feb 27, 2008, 02:49 PM
Hitting the Space bar while in the numeric keyboard also causes it to go back to the Alpha one. Great find on the sliding your finger thing, though!

theman
Feb 27, 2008, 03:09 PM
i noticed it does a good job of going back to the alphabetic keyboard, like after you type a comma, or space. but this is pretty sweet. thanks.

davidy
Feb 27, 2008, 06:21 PM
Trick #2

If, for some reason, you need foreign characters such as French accents ague or grave, german umlauted vowels or the essszet, or the Spanish n with tilde all you need to do while you're in typing mode is to hold you finger for a couple of seconds on the letter you wish to modify. This will bring up an extention of the displayed letter showing the various options for that particular letter. Simply continue holding your finger down and slide to the desired modified letter. When you lift your finger, the desired letter will be inserted as normal and you can continue with your typing.

This works with both upper and lower case letters.

BrownManUPS
Feb 27, 2008, 07:23 PM
Holy crap. That's very helpful. Thanks for the tips!

Diwata
Feb 27, 2008, 08:24 PM
wow, it's cool, thanks! very useful...

rascal2u
Feb 27, 2008, 08:26 PM
davidy,

Now all I need is a fully tricked out word processor app from the SDK and I can write the next crappy best-seller ! Thanks:rolleyes:

chewbacca390
Feb 28, 2008, 07:55 AM
nice! thanks for the tip! it works real well!!

IgnatiusTheKing
Feb 28, 2008, 08:49 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPod Touch: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

That second tip ist sehr schön! (Had to try it out)