Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
I wont be buying a new Macbook until i go to uni. this summer and get the free ipod deal.

so my question is, does anyone know what the specs will be on the montevina MB's?
will it be worth it? possibly an alu. MB?

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
come one no one knows anything about that now...that a long time from now. if you don't need the computer till next school year, there is no reason why you shouldn't wait till then and it will be much worth the wait

DCSMAC

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2005
i would say it is definitally worth the wait for the MB. besides the addition of better graphics in the X4500, there are so many things that could potentially be updated (LED backlit screen, aluminum case, backlit keyboard, multitouch)

Shackler

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 3, 2007
behind you!
i would say it is definitally worth the wait for the MB. besides the addition of better graphics in the X4500, there are so many things that could potentially be updated (LED backlit screen, aluminum case, backlit keyboard, multitouch)

thats also what im waiting/hoping for as well.
what would the mid-range whitebook processor be. i know it goes from 2.26 to 3.06 but what is the middle ones?

ahaley1986

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2008
i'm waiting for the montevina macbook. don't really need one now and i think the next update could be something to look forward to

benjaminbr

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2008
I agree with many above (LED, multitouch), but another key issue will be battery: TDP for montevina is 25 W while SR is 35W, thus more battery life. If you count that, DDR3 memory and LED backlight, we should see a considerable increase in battery life. The GMA X4500 should also support blu-ray and h.246 acceleration, w/ hdcp and stuff, making it a better media hub.

reusman

macrumors newbie
Feb 26, 2008
BluRay on a Macbook?

I agree with many above (LED, multitouch), but another key issue will be battery: TDP for montevina is 25 W while SR is 35W, thus more battery life. If you count that, DDR3 memory and LED backlight, we should see a considerable increase in battery life. The GMA X4500 should also support blu-ray and h.246 acceleration, w/ hdcp and stuff, making it a better media hub.

Do you really think there is a strong likeliness of seeing a BluRay drive in a Macbook anytime soon?! I'm not being critical, I just haven't even considered the possibility of a BR enabled MB... I mean, we haven't even seen it an a MacPro yet, let alone a Macbook Pro... Do you think when [if?] Apple goes BluRay it will introduce it across the line [Pro/iMac/MBP/MB]? What do you think a BTO BluRay drive would cost...?

benjaminbr

macrumors member
Feb 10, 2008
I want to believe...

Do you really think there is a strong likeliness of seeing a BluRay drive in a Macbook anytime soon?! I'm not being critical, I just haven't even considered the possibility of a BR enabled MB... I mean, we haven't even seen it an a MacPro yet, let alone a Macbook Pro... Do you think when [if?] Apple goes BluRay it will introduce it across the line [Pro/iMac/MBP/MB]? What do you think a BTO BluRay drive would cost...?

No blu-ray for the MB, not even BTO until '09. BUT! The way Intel is pushing its chipsets, montevina inherently supports hardware acceleration and there is more than one way to play a blu-ray disc w/o an internal drive. *wink wink* And once the slim drives are affordable, crack open the ol' polycarbonate (or aluminum, or titanium?) slip it in, and violá: Stay at home update that will keep your macbook running for years to come!.... or too much wishful thinking and too little sleep?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.