PDA

View Full Version : How Apple handles problems

Sundance2007
Feb 27, 2008, 04:20 PM
I have been having a problem with my Macbook. The shift cap. S does not work right. I can get shift-loc cap S but if I try shift s I get nothing, just a ding.

Is this the normal way Apple Care handles a problem. I called them and after 40 min. or so of checking stuff to make sure the hard drive and so on was OK he ask me to set up a test admin. account. The problem was no longer there in the new admin. account. So his solution was for me to back up everything, set up a new admin. account and delete the old admin account with the problem, telling me I would have to transfer over all my settings and stuff before I deleted the old account (and most likely forget something and loose it).

I couldn't believe this. What he was saying was he couldn't fix it so here is a way around the problem, to me this was a joke and a cop-out.:(

Is this the normal way apple "fixes" problems?

Steve

TEG
Feb 27, 2008, 04:25 PM
Some problems are too complex to solve by going through every extension and permission on the comptuer, so to save time, they will sometimes do this. I'd suggest just trashing the entire preferences folder and see if that helps.

TEG

f1
Feb 27, 2008, 04:28 PM
there's only so much they can do for you over the phone. If you want a second opinion take it to a Genius bar at the apple store or an authorized repair centre where a tech has the computer IN FRONT OF THEM so they can figure out exactly what's wrong.

soupyjnr
Feb 27, 2008, 04:30 PM
I hope this isnt the way Apple 'solve problems'. I paid for AppleCare because I was told that Apple arent like PC support, who always say 'You will need to do a system recovery, which will set everything back to its original factory settings...' which equals lose all your work - in other words, sorry I cant be bothered, this is the easy way out

I wouldnt stand for that! I would say I paid for this service and I want this problem fixed - I cant lose any of my information....

Bobioden
Feb 27, 2008, 04:30 PM
Have you tried repairing permissions, shutting down and restarting? It is amazing how this has fixed many small problems on my computer.

Sundance2007
Feb 27, 2008, 04:31 PM
there's only so much they can do for you over the phone. If you want a second opinion take it to a Genius bar at the apple store or an authorized repair centre where a tech has the computer IN FRONT OF THEM so they can figure out exactly what's wrong.

Does my Apple Care plan cover this, do you know?

Thanks

f1
Feb 27, 2008, 04:32 PM

Thanks

yes it does.

Bobioden
Feb 27, 2008, 04:33 PM

Thanks

How old is the computer? Did you buy Applecare? If you bought Applecare it covers you for 3 years from date of purchase.

Sundance2007
Feb 27, 2008, 04:36 PM
I wouldnt stand for that! I would say I paid for this service and I want this problem fixed - I cant lose any of my information....

I hear what you are saying, I tried to stress that and I made it clear I didn't like the way this was being solved. When I made the comment I have never had my PC "fixed" where it was not fixed and I knew what the problem was his response was "This is the way apple does it":eek:

Sundance2007
Feb 27, 2008, 04:37 PM
How old is the computer? Did you buy Applecare? If you bought Applecare it covers you for 3 years from date of purchase.

Got it right before Christmas last year and I have the apple care.

Bobioden
Feb 27, 2008, 04:37 PM
Have you tried to repair the permissions, shutting down and restarting? If that doesn't work, I would take it to an Apple store and have them fix it, you are covered with your Applecare.

Sundance2007
Feb 27, 2008, 04:38 PM
Have you tried repairing permissions, shutting down and restarting? It is amazing how this has fixed many small problems on my computer.

I'm new to the mac, how would I go about doing this?

Thanks

MacDann
Feb 27, 2008, 04:41 PM
As an IT support professional in education that is responsible for as many as 65,000 (yes, that's thousand) nodes at any given time, I would have to side with the AC folks.

As mentioned in a previous thread, you could literally spend hours, maybe even days, trying to resolve authentication and/or permissions issues and still not get it right.

This is why backups and disc images are so critical. If I run into a problem like this I repair permissions, blow away the preferences, then re-image if necessary. It's not worth the time or trouble to try and sort it out.

And yes, your AC will be honored at a Genius Bar, so if you have time, stop by and have them look at it before you nuke everything. Don't cost 'nothin and they have a far better chance of resolving the problem with the machine right there in front of them.

MacDann

Bobioden
Feb 27, 2008, 04:44 PM

Thanks

Go to Finder/Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility Highlight the Hard drive usually Macintosh HD and there will be a button to Repair Disk Permissions. After this is done, shut down and restart.

Consultant
Feb 27, 2008, 04:48 PM
I have been having a problem with my Macbook. The shift cap. S does not work right. I can get shift-loc cap S but if I try shift s I get nothing, just a ding.

Is this the normal way Apple Care handles a problem. I called them and after 40 min. or so of checking stuff to make sure the hard drive and so on was OK he ask me to set up a test admin. account. The problem was no longer there in the new admin. account. So his solution was for me to back up everything, set up a new admin. account and delete the old admin account with the problem, telling me I would have to transfer over all my settings and stuff before I deleted the old account (and most likely forget something and loose it).

I couldn't believe this. What he was saying was he couldn't fix it so here is a way around the problem, to me this was a joke and a cop-out.:(

Is this the normal way apple "fixes" problems?

Steve

I know the process. What you are saying would be highly unusual.

They would ask you to create a new account and test in that account, but it serves no purpose (and they don't ask you) to transfer any of your files over to the new account.

You should set up appointment with a genius bar near you. Locations at:
apple.com/retail

soupyjnr
Feb 27, 2008, 04:59 PM
I hear what you are saying, I tried to stress that and I made it clear I didn't like the way this was being solved. When I made the comment I have never had my PC "fixed" where it was not fixed and I knew what the problem was his response was "This is the way apple does it":eek:

Flip! I wouldnt have stuck that either no way. Im not one for complaining (believe or not) but I dont take any crap from anybody if Ive paid for a service and Im not satisfied with it! No way - if that guy had of said it to me I would have been fuming!! I mean that is pure rudeness!

michaelsviews
Feb 27, 2008, 05:08 PM

Thanks

Ok Correct me if I am wrong here, but if he goes to the local apple and genius bar, there going to put his serial number in and see what was already prescribed to do. RIGHT ? And if so (and I was the Genius) I would start from there and say did you do all this? Technically AC already gave you a fix and that fix worked.

You may NOT like the method of repair but , I dont know what else to tell you.

And I am new to apple as of last March, but have been in computer's since Mini Main Frames.

BOL

chaoticbear
Feb 27, 2008, 05:17 PM
I don't get it. This fix would take you 15 minutes of work. Why is it that just because you have to implement the solution it isn't a valid fix?