PDA

View Full Version : flying with computer parts

Jayhawk85
Feb 27, 2008, 05:17 PM
I am flying up to Kansas to visit the alma mater (rock chalk!) and am bringing up some computer parts to upgrade my sister's laptop. New hard drive and RAM. I'm assuming I should put these parts in my carry-on bag, because airlines do horrible things to checked bags. Are these parts okay to go through the X-ray machines and metal detectors in their own boxes not installed in a computer? Should I take them out of my bag when I go through security? I'd love to get anybody's opinion on this, I really don't want to wind up in Guantanamo just for having some parts for my sister. Thanks.

TEG
Feb 27, 2008, 05:19 PM
You'll be fine. I've done it many times, both as a carry-ons and checkked bags. Never had a problem.

TEG

MacDann
Feb 27, 2008, 05:21 PM
I am flying up to Kansas to visit the alma mater (rock chalk!) and am bringing up some computer parts to upgrade my sister's laptop. New hard drive and RAM. I'm assuming I should put these parts in my carry-on bag, because airlines do horrible things to checked bags. Are these parts okay to go through the X-ray machines and metal detectors in their own boxes not installed in a computer? Should I take them out of my bag when I go through security? I'd love to get anybody's opinion on this, I really don't want to wind up in Guantanamo just for having some parts for my sister. Thanks.

As long as they can be removed for inspection I don't see it being an issue in your carry-on. X-ray won't hurt them.

MacDann