PDA

View Full Version : Can I get Any Kind Of Compensation?

rich101682
Feb 27, 2008, 06:22 PM
I just bought a MacBook refurb. about 2 weeks ago for $1,299. That same one today is now selling for $1,049 because of the new MacBooks being released.

Any way I can be compensated for that $250? I'm not disappointed in my purchase in any way and I know there's probably no way I can get that money back, but I know something similar happened with the iPhone, so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

(BTW, this is my first Mac product after being a PC user my whole life, and I can't believe how easy it is to use this thing!)

HLdan
Feb 27, 2008, 06:28 PM
This is a little different since you bought a refurb. It's always worth a try, give Apple customer service a call and explain it but don't even bother unless you are still within the 14 day period.

SFStateStudent
Feb 27, 2008, 06:47 PM
to exchange for the NEW MacBook, but be NICE! I'm just returning from the Apple Store with a Brand New MacBook 2.4, after my Aug '07 MacBook 2.16 developed minute scratches on the screen at the point where the spacebar and touchpad make contact with it. I went to the Apple Store just three weeks after I bought it, and they said it was "cosmetic" and there was no apparent "abuse" on my part, but they wouldn't budge on issuing a new replacement. So, last week I went into the same Apple Store and discussed getting it repaired, and they told me they could replace the screen for $600.00 plus tax, well, I balked at that and explained that I wanted to buy a new MacBook Air and that the damage to my screen would knock the value of my MacBook 2.16 down to their quoted $600.00 repair cost, and this was for damage that was unforeseen by me, therefore I was not allowed to "prevent" the damage. Apparently, it fell on deft ears, 'cause I walked out of the store with my tail between my legs. Fortunately, I received an email asking for my comments on my visit to the Apple Store, and I responded immediately and expressed my concerns and my desire to purchase the MacBook Air. This afternoon, I walked in the door and "wouldn't you know" the Apple Store Manager was calling to invite me to go on a shopping spree at the Apple Store to make the situation better! My specs on my New MacBook 2.4:

# 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
# 2GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
# 250GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
# SuperDrive 8x (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
# Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English
# AirPort Extreme Card & Bluetooth

So, bottom-line is this: Work with the system, and be adamant about your issue; and despite everyone telling you "well, our policy is..." in the end the Store Manager will eventually make the determination that is beneficial to you and the Apple Store. If they want to continue to keep your business, and not have you return to the PC world, then they will work with you to ensure that you remain a "satisfied" Apple Customer. Hope this helps! :p

dukebound85
Feb 27, 2008, 06:51 PM
you agreed to pay that price for what you got..... not like you were forced to buy it

if i were apple i wouldnt give you a compensation. only reason they did the iphone thing was to presever a good face for pr purposes only

Peace
Feb 27, 2008, 06:54 PM
You can probably return the refurb and buy a new MB but you won't be getting any money or a new MB for free.

Ahuckaby
Feb 27, 2008, 08:10 PM
i bought a blackbook refub a week ago and called apple yesterday. i can expect a 265 dollar credit in 3-5busineess days. trying to swing a new macbook wasnt worth the hassel to me

angrygolfer
Feb 27, 2008, 08:14 PM
you agreed to pay that price for what you got..... not like you were forced to buy it

if i were apple i wouldnt give you a compensation. only reason they did the iphone thing was to presever a good face for pr purposes only

This is a lame post! If the OP is still within the 14 day return period he should ABSOLUTELY be able to get the difference back.

PcBgone
Feb 27, 2008, 08:39 PM
Compensation? Compensation means repaying you for damages that occurred to you. What damages did you endure by this?

Its amazing people have this entitlement mentality, thinking that they are entitled to everything. 2 weeks ago, I bought gas for $3.02, now its $2.90...Im not at the gas station asking for credit....