PDA

View Full Version : Novell and Panther?

eclipse525
Oct 28, 2003, 09:35 AM
I was told that Panther/OSX can not connect to a Novell Server but has no problem with Windows2000 Server. Is this true and why?? I thought OSX was able to connect to any network with out a problem, especially under Panther.

~e

tomf87
Oct 28, 2003, 10:42 AM
I don't think they have a native Novell client, although Novell may make one. It uses Samba to connect to Windows, so that's why they have native support there.

Schiffi
Oct 28, 2003, 03:19 PM
I've never had a problem connecting to Novell, and this was back in the 10.2.4 days.

PensDevil
Oct 29, 2003, 10:52 AM
Whether or not OS X can connect to a Novell server depends on how the boxes are configured.
For Netware 6, a feature called Native File Access is included and can be turned on or off. Turning it on will allow an OS X machine to connect to the netware server essentially via Appleshare over IP. Native File Access is available as an add-on (pay for it) module for Netware 5.5
For pre v6 releases of Netware (including 5.5 without Native File Access module), there is the Apple File Protocol (AFP) that enables connections to the Netware server via good-old Appletalk. The AFP module is made by Prosoft Engineering, and allwos both OS X machines as well as the "classic" Mac OS's to conenct without a Netware client.
Prosoft is the company that makes Macintosh Netware clients for Mac OS 8, 9, and X (maybe system 7 too?). The client for OS 8/9 is pretty solid.
The client for X is buggy, in my experience. It strips all resource forks from any file it transfers, and has shown to cause a machine to lock hard (forcing a reboot) when waking from sleep and then trying to do launch any app at all.
The AFP module used (before NFA) is also made by Prosoft. It too works just fine with OS 8/9, but causes the spining beachball effect and forces a restart under OS X. This problem only apepars to surface after the AFP module has been running for a few days. Restarting the AFP module on a daily basis makes the problem disappear.
Yay for Prosoft and their inability to sell an effective solution for OS X users. Notice the "effective" between "sell" and "solution", as they will gladly sell you their (expensive) buggy products. :mad:

Ikash
Nov 20, 2003, 04:24 PM
where would i download the client so i can login to the novell server.