PDA

View Full Version : When new MacBooks come out where do the old ones go?!

Hello.there
Feb 27, 2008, 08:13 PM
Don't laugh, I know they don't go to heaven (or do they :confused:).

But what happens Apple's stock of perfectly lovely 'old' Macbooks (and iMacs, iPods, etc, etc) when they bring out a sparkly revision? Presumably you can't buy them from their online store any more, so where do they go? Is there any 'official' way of buying them from Apple any more?

Thanks.

Reflow
Feb 27, 2008, 08:14 PM
Don't laugh, I know they don't go to heaven (or do they :confused:).

But what happens Apple's stock of perfectly lovely 'old' Macbooks (iMacs, iPods, etc, etc) when they bring out a sparkly revision? Presumably you can't buy them from their online store any more, so where do they go? Is there any 'official' way of buying them from Apple any more?

Thanks.

Uh Refurb site....

Hello.there
Feb 27, 2008, 08:27 PM
Uh Refurb site....

All of them?! Hardly!!

Reflow
Feb 27, 2008, 08:31 PM
All of them?! Hardly!!

Oh I'm sorry but they must throw them all in the dumpster out back. Where else do you think they go :confused:

heatmiser
Feb 27, 2008, 08:31 PM
All of them?! Hardly!!

Others are sold to 3rd party resellers.

Kalafut
Feb 27, 2008, 08:56 PM
Oh I'm sorry but they must throw them all in the dumpster out back. Where else do you think they go :confused:

well maybe , we should go "salvage" them lolz

Hankster
Feb 27, 2008, 08:58 PM
They are not refurbished. New machines are not refurbished machines. Apples and oranges. Many of them are probably sent to third party sellers such as Amazon, MacMall, MacConnection, etc.

SFStateStudent
Feb 27, 2008, 09:01 PM
that most would be refurbished and those that cannot be refurbished, donated to a charity. :cool:

dtklamf
Feb 28, 2008, 03:23 AM
that most would be refurbished and those that cannot be refurbished, donated to a charity. :cool:

they sell em to guys down the bar to sell out the back of a truck....
thats where i got mine :)

Consultant
Feb 28, 2008, 12:18 PM
Refurb site, but typically they ramp down production of old ones so that there aren't that many left.

hockeysc23
Feb 28, 2008, 01:22 PM
Refurb site, but typically they ramp down production of old ones so that there aren't that many left.

Yes and they also start to limit stock when they know they are going to introduce new models.

They go to all the locations: 3rd party sellers, and refurb site.

macenforcer
Feb 28, 2008, 02:07 PM
Here is your answer. I asked the apple store this last year.

When a new machine comes out and they still have the old ones in stock they simply discount them and sell them. They always sell very fast. Its like a 10% discount or something.

Retail chains do the same exact thing. None of them go to the refurb store.

pugple
Feb 28, 2008, 02:13 PM
When they update, they still keep old parts right? Like if an ibook/powerbook died today and had to be repaired, they would still have the parts handy to do that under applecare? I love the 12" laptops. :p

Hello.there
Feb 28, 2008, 05:08 PM

Shucks, looks like you were wrong ;)

Thanks everyone (else) for the accurate information!

Reflow
Feb 28, 2008, 08:52 PM
Shucks, looks like you were wrong ;)

Thanks everyone (else) for the accurate information!

HaHa that's funny :rolleyes:

honeycrisp
Feb 29, 2008, 01:13 AM
well maybe , we should go "salvage" them lolz

What does that z stand for?

Hello.there
Feb 29, 2008, 03:06 PM
HaHa that's funny :rolleyes:

A cutting riposte from the Refurb man....whoooooooaaaaah. :rolleyes:

dannyar
Feb 29, 2008, 03:31 PM
im inclined to beleive that they massively distribute them to resellers nad 3rd party vendors