Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hello.there

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Oct 12, 2007
Couch
Don't laugh, I know they don't go to heaven (or do they :confused:).

But what happens Apple's stock of perfectly lovely 'old' Macbooks (and iMacs, iPods, etc, etc) when they bring out a sparkly revision? Presumably you can't buy them from their online store any more, so where do they go? Is there any 'official' way of buying them from Apple any more?

Thanks.

Reflow

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2005
NJ/PHL
Don't laugh, I know they don't go to heaven (or do they :confused:).

But what happens Apple's stock of perfectly lovely 'old' Macbooks (iMacs, iPods, etc, etc) when they bring out a sparkly revision? Presumably you can't buy them from their online store any more, so where do they go? Is there any 'official' way of buying them from Apple any more?

Thanks.

Uh Refurb site....

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
They are not refurbished. New machines are not refurbished machines. Apples and oranges. Many of them are probably sent to third party sellers such as Amazon, MacMall, MacConnection, etc.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Refurb site, but typically they ramp down production of old ones so that there aren't that many left.

hockeysc23

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Refurb site, but typically they ramp down production of old ones so that there aren't that many left.

Yes and they also start to limit stock when they know they are going to introduce new models.

They go to all the locations: 3rd party sellers, and refurb site.

macenforcer

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2004
Colorado
Here is your answer. I asked the apple store this last year.

When a new machine comes out and they still have the old ones in stock they simply discount them and sell them. They always sell very fast. Its like a 10% discount or something.

Retail chains do the same exact thing. None of them go to the refurb store.

pugple

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2008
When they update, they still keep old parts right? Like if an ibook/powerbook died today and had to be repaired, they would still have the parts handy to do that under applecare? I love the 12" laptops. :p

dannyar

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2007
im inclined to beleive that they massively distribute them to resellers nad 3rd party vendors

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.